PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Newsflash - Our WR Still Aren't Good Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wes Walker of the dysfunkphins is a FA this year. He's a good, scrappy player.
Wes Welker is a restricted free agent and I seriously doubt the Patriots would surrender a draft pick to the Miami Dolphins for his services.

Wes Welker is a restricted free agent and I seriously doubt the Patriots would surrender a draft pick to the Miami Dolphins for his services.

It depends on what offer he gets because he came in undrafted.

I would strongly back giving up a 3rd and could even talk myself into a second. Welker is a game changer on special teams and his WR play has really improved over the past two seasons.

I would strongly back giving up a 3rd and could even talk myself into a second. Welker is a game changer on special teams and his WR play has really improved over the past two seasons.

The limited times I've seen Welker this year he seems like the kind of guy the Pats would go for - WR and returner. Multi-faceted. The Pats also mentioned him a lot when they were getting ready to play the Fins the 2nd time. Adding him to pur existing WR's would be a big boost in my opinion. Especially considering that the 3 WR set became the Pats most popular as the season progressed.

If Brown does retire - hopefully not - Welker is the kind of WR that could step straight into the slot positon.

The limited times I've seen Welker this year he seems like the kind of guy the Pats would go for - WR and returner. Multi-faceted. The Pats also mentioned him a lot when they were getting ready to play the Fins the 2nd time. Adding him to pur existing WR's would be a big boost in my opinion. Especially considering that the 3 WR set became the Pats most popular as the season progressed.

If Brown does retire - hopefully not - Welker is the kind of WR that could step straight into the slot positon.

Brown is an excellent reference because Welker is like Brown circa 99. Trust me on this, you want him on this team.

Brown is an excellent reference because Welker is like Brown circa 99. Trust me on this, you want him on this team.

Agreed Oswlek - the removal of Saban also removed any possible problems BB would have had taking a player from a friends team. I'm not sure I'd go as high as a 2nd rounder for Welker with the areas of need on the team but I think he's a very enticing prospect. His experience of the AFC East is another huge plus in my eyes.

NE should bring in a proven FA WR. They have the cap money.

The draft is a crap shoot regarding WR's and then they take time to develop.

Looking for a Trade may be preferable - there aren't many on the list of UFAs that make me jump out of my seat - though I felt we should have traded for Stallworth last year so wouldn't mind seeing him here next year.

So I wouldn't limit my choices to just UFAs in uprgrading.

As much as I believe that the lack of a deep WR threat impacted us at RB, TE & pressure on Brady, LB and the defensive secondary are still my top priorities.

Defense is the foundation for this team - we can often squeek by with adequate offensive personnel if we continue to have a strong defense. I'd love to give Brady his Jerry Rice but I know we can win SB's without a Jerry Rice... but not without a top tier Defense

I was reviewing some player profiles from The Huddle Report and found this snippet by Drew Boylhart:

"I have one question that has nothing to do about Chad’s talent. Why is he coming out early? He was in a program and offense that could make him a top five player in the 2007 draft? I don’t know what the reason is, but If I were Urban Myers and I had a kid this talented, I would do everything in my power to hold on to him for one more year. This kid was in the perfect offense to show his talents to the world and he is passing it up! Not only that, his coach is not squawking like a duck being chased down the road by a mutt pissed because the duck was swimming in his water bowl. Personally, I have to wonder if this kid can handle the playbook at the next level."

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/ppSD/protected/archive/2006DRAFT/2006profiles/ChadJackson.htm

This could help to explain the lack of participation by a seemingly healthy (at least down the stretch) Chad Jackson. I think he was a developmental prospect all along. Urban Meyer clued BB in to the issues the Patriots were getting into and they were dealt with accordingly. He was never meant to be any type of replacement if Deion Branch didn't treturn this year.

If he matures this year they'll have a monster on their hands. They need to draft a more complete player like Rhema McKnight from ND and they'll be fine. He still may be available in Round 2. Paul Williams from Fresno State is likely to be in their plans as well. They're both big, productive, and come from JV schools so all the requisite homework will have been done diligently.

Hopefully next year I won't be left screaming "Why the EFF is EFFING Heath Evans split out wide with the EFFING season on the Line!".

That is my wish.

I like this assessment. CLEARLY upgrades are needed, especially in the form of bigger guys with speed who can stretch the field (hopefully two). Chad Jackson "might" be one guy, but we'll need one more either via the draft or free agency. It appears that Bam Childress doesn't have the coaches' confidence to be a part of the mix, but who knows? It'll be interesting to see if Bam sticks around.

No way would I give up a third round draft pick for Welker. The New England Patriots have too many deficiencies on defense (youth and depth at cornerback, linebacker, safety) to address via the 2007 NFL draft to toss away a third round draft pick.

No way would I give up a third round draft pick for Welker. The New England Patriots have too many deficiencies on defense (youth and depth at cornerback, linebacker, safety) to address via the 2007 NFL draft to toss away a third round draft pick.

I agree.

We have too much work to do on the other side of the ball to worry about wideouts at all. If one falls in our laps in the 3rd-7th round of the draft, fine. But like I said, we should focus on making Chad Jackson as good as he can be, as there was a reason they drafted this kid in the first place. One injury plagued season is not enough to toss that aside.

I agree.

We have too much work to do on the other side of the ball to worry about wideouts at all. If one falls in our laps in the 3rd-7th round of the draft, fine. But like I said, we should focus on making Chad Jackson as good as he can be, as there was a reason they drafted this kid in the first place. One injury plagued season is not enough to toss that aside.

I understand my opinion is not a universal one. I am also the same guy that said that I would rather go into next season with the exact same WRs if that meant some new blood would be added to the LBs and secondary.

I just have a very high opinion of Welker and I ask myself, "Self, if the Troy Brown of 7-8 years ago were available, would you give up a third rounder for him?" And my answer is, "Hell yeah!"

I guess it comes down to two things.

1) Whether or not you believe that Welker is as good as I do and
2) My personal feeling that draft picks after the first round are largely crap shoots anyway. Welker isn't going to cost much so it isn't like one of those give up a pick *and* pay a ton of money deals.

Last edited:
I agree.

The Pats scored just 1 TD in the second half and 2 FG's. FG's arent going to cut it playing a team like Indy. And, as Steve Young put it "every time you have to settle for a FG you are just that much closer to losing" That proved to be the case Sunday.

Brady needs legitimate WR's. Caldwell is a good #2.

I'm not sold on hoping that Chad Jackson turns into something.

I guess it comes down to two things.

1) Whether or not you believe that Welker is as good as I do and
2) My personal feeling that draft picks after the first round are largely crap shoots anyway. Welker isn't going to cost much so it isn't like one of those give up a pick *and* pay a ton of money deals.
I seen enough of the Patriots trading draft picks for supposed NFL players in the last two years only to fail miserably:

2005 3rd Round Draft Pick for Duane Starks
2006 5th Round Draft Pick for Andre Davis
2007 5th Round Draft Pick for Doug Gabriel

Mother of God! 2 No.1's and Samuel for to move up for Calvin Johnson!!!!

A 3 or a 2 for Wes Welker!!

Fantasy Football is ruining the Sports World.

The Pats will never,ever,move into the top ten for a receiver....why???....because it's STUPID!

Our needs are LB,DB and OL....not receivers,who are readily available as FA's or develop the ones we have.

These Randy Moss-quick fixes are for the Oakland
Raiders,not the New England Patriots.

The Pats are a TE based offense,we need one reliable wideout to go with Gaffney,Caldwell and Jackson.No one I would remotely consider giving up a high draft choice for.Doesn't anyone look at what a shambles,Detroit and Arizona are?

If I hear the terms' "speed-burner",or "shutdown corner",one more time,I'm gonna puke.

These descriptions only exist in the minds of fantasy-football geeks,who live in their parents' basement.
They have no place in the reality of today's football world.

A 3 or a 2 for Wes Welker!!

For a legitimate #2 receiver like Welker is, as well as an explosive returnman and a character guy, a 3 is hardly too much to ask. Bethel Johnson was a second round pick and has done next to nothing with his career. I'd trade a 3 for a relatively young, proven commodity like Welker. In a second.

How bout someone like Joe Horn. He's older then dirt, but certainly has 1-2 good years left. Enough to help bridge the gap between now and when CJ is ready for prime time (if ever).

With Henderson, Colston and Copper, NO is pretty fat at WR and might be willing to move him, particularly with his 4+M salary. With Colston the and Henderson doing as good as they did last year, and his last few injury shortened years, it could be doable. He'd likely be a #2 at best next year anyway.

Perhaps for Samuel (in a franchise/trade) deal. Really wouldn'd cost us any picks, just a guy we have no hope of signing anyway (now or later). This fits the profile, an older retread coming in the twilight of his carreer. No sure it'd be doable or if id even be worth lookinh into.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back