Welcome to PatsFans.com

Newest Supreme Court nominee is out...and it's another pander choice

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by efin98, May 26, 2009.

1. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Instead of going with the most qualified or the best legal mind the newest Supreme Court justice nominee is a pander choice- pleases women and pleases minorities...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/u...bl&ex=1243483200&en=938812ebc6344a95&ei=5087

Heaven forbid they get it right and choose someone with more experience in federal courts and who hasn't had as many cases as her overturned by her future colleagues...and someone whose own case is not up for review by the same people she will be working alongside.

Sotomayor's resume, record on notable cases - CNN.com
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

The Jeanne Garafools & the Phil Donahues of America will be very pleased with this choice but I don't know what Jessie Jackoff or Charlie Rangel will think about it.
  3. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thought it was a great choice!

She's a chick and we need more of thouse in the high courts.
    First Hispanic, great day to be an American!!!
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

From reading the articles about her, it's a very disappointing choice. She sounds intelligent but not overly so, competent, but not overly so and it sounds like she has an agenda that will not go well for equal rights for all (talking about the majority there).

Not that I expected a better choice.
  5. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

From what I've read she's pretty rough on lawyers (which I kind of like), but shows little depth in her questioning. From a conservative standpoint she's actually a good choice if it is true that she isn't the most intelligent choice, as she would be less likely to swing votes to her side with a well-reasoned argument. The overturn rate is troubling, but she certainly has the education chops to be an appropriate choice. I say she gets confirmed 79-20 (1 abstains).
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

No one will know what kind of Justice she will be for another 10 years (assuming she's confirmed). We've been here before. The COurt should have more women, though. They're smarter and more thoughtful, (according to Mrs. Wistah).
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +175 / 5 / -22

There will be a lot of posturing, innuendo, hysteria and hyperbole and in the end Sotamayer, who was originally appointed by George H. Bush.. will be on the Supreme Court.. I hope she paid her taxes.
  8. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Identity Politics at its finest. I don't give a crap who she "identifies with", but I would like her to be able to interpret the rule of law, which she has apparently struggled with.

Another "Legislator from the bench" swell :rolleyes:

Judge Sonia Sotomayor: Court is Where Policy is Made

In her own words.

So much for a constitutional scholar. :rolleyes:
  9. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

She better hope she doesn't have any other quotes, remarks, video, sound bites, etc. that are damaging as the policy maker remarks...
  10. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Huh, she's been on the bench 30 years. We have a pretty good idea of what kind of justice she'll be by looking at her record. :confused:

Which I might add includes MANY REVERSALS;

She has not had a very good track records at interpreting the Constitution in the fair and balanced way you would expect from someone elevated to that level.

She also has a reputation of being somewhat of a judicial bully among law clerks that work for her. Of course, that might help push Kennedy back over to the right as his left drift seems to be a response to Scalia supposed bulldog approach.
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +175 / 5 / -22

In the end it will probably not make all that much difference.. but she will be dragged through the mud along the way..
  12. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Right but if things start to pop up that continue to haunt her it will be a huge problem for her. It won't take just sex scandals and a problem with lack of credentials to bring her down, but her own actions in opinions and cases especially ones that could be seen as reversing her own decisions might.
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +175 / 5 / -22

From what I read credentials do not seem to be a big deal for her.. still do not see it, she seems to be a pretty good choice overall and in the process Obama pays homage to George Herbert, which in itself is a pretty classy act.
  14. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Little things have killed chances for Supreme Court nominees before...

Douglas Ginsburg got torpedoed by drugs and conflicts of interest charges.
    Harold Carswell was rejected for remarks about segregation while he ran for public office in the south in the 40s.

It CAN happen, even if YOU do not believe it will.
  15. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Not really though, she was appointed as a compromise with Daniel Patrick Moynihan, in which he got to choose 2 justices out of seven while D'Amato chose the other 5. The senators getting to pick like this is evidently pretty standard, something I didn't know about, but it means that Bush took her to make sure the rest of the picks got through, with 5 picked by the R Senator.
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +294 / 4 / -2

Any chance that gets reported? Naht!
  17. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Well she's not a "white construction worker" or "a typical white person" because as we learned at Obama's inauguration white doesn't know what's right. And of course there's the case
    [where a] "number of white [and some hispanic] firefighters had sued the City of New Haven, Conn., after the city chose to drop a promotion examination after blacks and Hispanics scored so poorly that none of them would have been promoted. A lower court threw out the firefighters’ lawsuit, and it came to the Court of Appeals in New York.

In February 2008, a three-judge panel that included Sotomayor used an unsigned “summary order” to uphold the lower court ruling throwing out the white firefighters’ suit. The order — all of nine lines on a single page — called the district court’s opinion “thorough, thoughtful and well-reasoned” and left it at that."

But, of course all the lock step liberals thinks it's a great nod. Gee how did I know that before the appointee was even named? :rolleyes: But anyone that opposes this nominee will of course be labeled a redneck racist. :rolleyes:
  18. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

As part of her acceptance she was kind enough to say that she was a better choice than a white male. Cool, I'll be at the drive through window of burger world if you need me.:eek:
  19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Why aren't any good jobs given to American Indians & Eskimos.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to say "he's the first eskimo vice president"

GET BUSH
  20. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

The Commander Inuit.