PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Newest Sporting News 3-Round Mock (3/5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

primetime

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Here's what Sporting News has in their latest mock draft on March 5th, the first after the combine.

1/7) Vernon Gholston, DE, OSU: (from San Francisco) The Patriots need an outside linebacker who rushes the passer and is a force against the run. After Gholston's workout at the Combine, the Patriots believe he can be that man.

(Other notables: Has Ryan Clady going 1st overall with Chris Long 2nd, Quentin Groves 13th)

2/62) Dan Connor, OLB, PSU: Age is an increasing factor at inside linebacker. Connor will help make the position younger and have a year of tutoring from Tedy Bruschi before becoming a starter.

3/69) Chris Johnson, RB, ECU: (from Oakland) Johnson would an explosive back to spell starter Laurence Maroney. He also would be groomed to replace Kevin Faulk, who turns 32 in June.

3/94) Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas: The Patriots should gamble on the fast Finley to see if he can maximize his talent and become a big-time receiving threat.

Here's what Sporting News has in their latest mock draft on March 5th, the first after the combine.

1/7) Vernon Gholston, DE, OSU: (from San Francisco) The Patriots need an outside linebacker who rushes the passer and is a force against the run. After Gholston's workout at the Combine, the Patriots believe he can be that man.

(Other notables: Has Ryan Clady going 1st overall with Chris Long 2nd, Quentin Groves 13th)

2/62) Dan Connor, OLB, PSU: Age is an increasing factor at inside linebacker. Connor will help make the position younger and have a year of tutoring from Tedy Bruschi before becoming a starter.

3/69) Chris Johnson, RB, ECU: (from Oakland) Johnson would an explosive back to spell starter Laurence Maroney. He also would be groomed to replace Kevin Faulk, who turns 32 in June.

3/94) Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas: The Patriots should gamble on the fast Finley to see if he can maximize his talent and become a big-time receiving threat.
Where are the cornerbacks?

i like connor and obviously gholston but no CB in other round?

Conner would be good value in the second round. Chris Johnson would be an abosulte steal in the third round. I would take a corner in the fourth round instead of a TE.

There is NO way Chris Johnson is around in the 3rd round. I would be shocked if he's even there when they pick at 62.

If Gholston is indeed the pick, and more and more it's looking that way, than I think pick #62 absolutely needs to be a CB, assuming a good one is still available.

Ryan Clady #1 overall?

I think BP will use the draft to continue to build his defense. I can't see Miami taking Clady at #1.

I'd cry tears of joy, but we really don't need another tight end, we have two good recieving TE's, and we can probably pick up a cheap #3 TE in the 6th or 7th rounds, or in free agency.

I'd be happy with that assuming CB is addressed via FA and/or trade.

Gholston and Johnson would be nice additions. However, imho, Connor is a horrible fit for the Pats at ILB. Also, I don't see the Pats "gambling" on a TE like Finley when they have needs at CB that have to be addressed.

There is NO way Chris Johnson is around in the 3rd round. I would be shocked if he's even there when they pick at 62.

If Gholston is indeed the pick, and more and more it's looking that way, than I think pick #62 absolutely needs to be a CB, assuming a good one is still available.

I think if Gholston is the pick. We will trade up from 62 to get a cb. 62 and 94 to move up in the 45-50 range. Maybe a guy like; P.Lee,A.Cason,C.Godfrey could be had there. I would take another cb at 69. A guy like C.Jackson.

It's not completely unreasonable that Clady could go #1. Miami could build from the lines out. Clady might be the best LT in the draft since many seem to project Long to RT. Clady is a junior and should be compared, at least in some measure, to where Jake Long was a year ago. He is widely considered to be a top 10 talent as a junior, where would he be with another year of experience under his belt?

Of course, I would love to grab Johnson. Other than him I like the Gholston pick, but hate the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back