Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
No free link. Excerpts.

Hell Week in Coaching Fraternity
Selena Roberts

The Oz behind the hoodie can hum every Bon Jovi classic from “I’ll be there for You†to “Never Say Goodbye,†even if he cannot identify the lyrics.

Bill Belichick is no sap for romantic attachments. He is a practitioner of disposable emotion. Say goodbye, Deion Branch and David Givens. Not there for you, Adam Vinatieri and Willie McGinest.

What was once a gruff quirk is now an obsessive pattern of behavior. The more glorified his mystique, the more Belichick’s anti-star prejudice expands. He mistakes star requests for complaints and their contract demands for insubordination, and locker-room dissent as a challenge to his brilliance.

He insists on humility from everyone but himself. But who knew the dimple-chinned Tom Brady, everyone’s favorite metrosexual quarterback, would be the accidental accomplice in building Belichick’s bubble? Who knew Brady would become an innocent tool in New England’s attrition of headstrong superstars?

But which team is spiraling out of control? Patriotrs or Giants?

And everyone thought Belichick was history’s favorite Svengali. More than Coughlin, it is Belichick who is losing his team.

Belichick believes he whisks wins from his mind. He is a savvy tactician and deserves raves for converting his vast brain into dynamic success, but he is too quick to reduce his players into a parts-are-parts logic. He is capable of dismissing everyone with one exception: Brady. Belichick has not only coveted him as a quarterback, but as the unwitting enabler of Coach Hoodie’s no-stars legend.

Maybe as soon as now, Brady is finding out how easily he was manipulated by Belichick. In the giddy afterglow of three-ring success, as Belichick preached teamword and harrumphed disdain for divas, Brady was eager to please when he took one for the team.

He extended his contract with the Patriot in the spring of 2005 when he signed for six years and $60 million. Nice money, but it was well below his market value, ranking him fifth among quarterbacks in average salary.

The pay-it-forward philosophy was supposed to make salary cap room for his buddies. Instead, he was setting an impossible bar. How could a teammate complain about his coupon-clipper’s paycheck when scout Brady was okey-dokey with his underwhelming salary?

Troy Brown once noted before the Patriots played in the 2005 Super Bowl, “Bill always says the best thing we can do for our careers is to win games.â€

As the Patriot’s owner, Robert K. Kraft, said that same week: “So many of our guys want to win and be part of this system. It creates an incentive where other free agents and players want to come here.â€

It’s not incentive. This is punitive competence. Work harder, win more, earn less.

But Brady bought in. And Belichick took advantage of it. Instead of using the cap-room courtesy of Brady to re-sign stars, Belichick used his quarterback’s example as leverage to jettison anyone who didn’t fit a very Brady mold of the team guy.

So now, with his talented friends in other places, it’s Brady who is miserable, whose body language on the field spells out despair.

Is this dissent? Would Belichick see bad body language as rebellion?

He might not go that far. Or maybe he would. Arrogance is a slippery slope.

Surprising she hasn't bagged a job at the Globe.

This topic sucks.

More doom and gloom crap.

Roberts is the worst of hacks, creating drama where none exists, spinning complexities out of simplicity, painting fictional villains and heroes with a broad brush on real people and real events. Her actual football knowledge is so meagre she tries to fool the public like a street corner magician flashing marked cards. Her earlier hit job was on Mangini, who has in a brief time exposed her crtiticisms of his tough training camp as the touchy-feely meanderings of a woman unfamilar with what it takes to win in a brutal, competitive environment. I'm surprised she's not reporting on politics and critiquing the US military. I'm sure we'd receive the same agitated fluff disguised as journalism.
One final note: Just another Boston Globe/NY Times hatchet job... she's probably in cahoots with Gorgeous Borges.

Last edited:
Mikey, why do you always focus on the negative in both your own posts and your links to stories? I'm just curious as I've seen that trend for quite some time now. I just want to know if you actually enjoy watching the Patriots, and if so, why you never post that way?

As for the article: fluff. We're 2-1, who knows how the rest of the season will go. As for all the psychobabble about the Patriots.. who cares? It's what has won us 3 SBs, so I'm not overly concerned about the method. Especially not when we haven't had a sub 9 win season in six seasons and have been to the playoffs every year save 2002.

I'd love to hear what this writer has to say after Week 17.

Give me a friggin' break! That article is pure speculation and conjecture. Doesn't the author have enough to write about since New York State has three NFL teams?

The Pats have a philosophy and it's working. I mean, the Pats are 2-1 with 13 games to play, 2-0 in the division. Yeah, the Pats are going to implode any minute now. Name one player the Pats have let go (recently) to come back and bite them on the ***** come play-off time? :p

Articles like this really make me angry...then again, maybe that's the intended result.

This stuff cracks me up. She's a reporter who works 500 miles away and she seems to have more insight than the Boston writers that cover the Pats on a regular basis. It's the same crap people were saying when Lawyer Milloy was cut and they were blown out by Buffalo. Remember Tom Jackson shooting off his mouth? My favorite part of "Patriot Reign" was when he tried to congratulate Bill Belichick after their superbowl win that year and Bill just told him %^$# and walked away.

Brownfan80 said:
Mikey, why do you always focus on the negative in both your own posts and your links to stories? I'm just curious as I've seen that trend for quite some time now. I just want to know if you actually enjoy watching the Patriots, and if so, why you never post that way?

That's not fair.

The last thread before this that I remember reading that was started by Mikey showed BB at the Brown/Harvard football game looking relaxed and happy. How was that knocking the team? Nor did Mikey endorse this article (which, as several people have pointed out, simply re-hashes every cliche of BB-bashing (yawn!))

Last edited:
Mike the Brit said:
That's not fair.

The last thread before this that I remember reading that was started by Mikey showed BB at the Brown/Harvard football game looking relaxed and happy. How was that knocking the team? Nor did Mikey endorse this article (which, as several people have pointed out, simply re-hashes every cliche of BB-bashing (yawn!))

True, perhaps it is that I only remember the negative postings more than the rest because of the reaction they get.

Don't dis da hoodie!

The Giants aren't disintegrating? They should be 0-3, they just got killed by Seattle and the players are publicly grumping. Meanwhile, uninformed media types are worried about Tom's body language.

Give me a break.

If there are two life boats, I'm jumping in Bill's not Tom's.

5 minutes of my life I will never get back after reading that piece of garbanza.

It's open season on BB. :mad:

But it doesn't seem to bother him so I am trying to ignore it as well.

Last edited:
Yea,as several posters have aptly pointed out,three Super Bowl rings is the quick rejoinder to these comments.So you're trying to say Billicheck ins't perfect?We knew that,but we're keepin' him....

LOL, yup, we lose one game and it's open season on our coach.

I can't describe the hate and disgust I feel for "reporters" like that piece of ****. So I guess I won't even try.

NYT? Then it cannot possibly be true or accurate. The writer in question is yet another hack. See her previous job on Mangini.

Not true or accurate? BB did send away our best reciever - Branch, our second best - Givens, the best clutch kicker in NFL history - Vinateri, and a spiritual mainstay of a struggling defense - McGinest, all in single offseason; Brady surely could have demanded and received more money than he signed for since there was no chance he be let go; the Pats are $10mil+ under the cap; and Brady has no suitable replacements at WR as of yet.

I'm hardly agreeing with the writer but the kool-aid chugging here is pretty amazing sometimes. Reporters are paid to at least try and be objective. What do you expect, that the national press will come swinging in chanting, "BB is an NFL God?" :D

Last edited:
An excellent article...catchy..well written. Of course there is not a bit of truth to it but hey as the Irish say: never let the truth spoil a good story!

Brady'sButtBoy said:
I'm hardly agreeing with the writer but the kool-aid chugging here is pretty amazing sometimes. Reporters are paid to at least try and be objective.

As someone else points out, this is a writer who is 500 miles away, spends no time with the Pats, and would probably only recognize BB by the hoodie and yet in this article she proports to know that BB is "losing his team." I don't think it's homerism to be skeptical of that. This is an op-ed article or editorial and should be labeled that way.

In recent days I have read so much garbage from reports as far away Arkansas, Minnesota, all proporting to know what's going on in BB's head and expounding on his arrogance and lack of social skills. Undoubtedly these "experts" know only what they see in press conferences and get from Borges. It sucks.

D-I-S-R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me,
(sockittome,sockittome,sockitome,sockittome--)

New touchdown song?

OK, it's weak, but I've heard worse--

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back