Welcome to PatsFans.com

New US military technology: force field

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Jul 12, 2007.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  2. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

That is pretty cool. Thanks for posting that link.
    I had all the guys at the shop marvelling over this.

3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +481 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

The looney liberals and the ACLU will say it's "Violating Something"

5. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Violating the laws of physics is the only thing I can think of.

I can't watch the video at work, but from what I know there is no known physical principle for a real force field. High-energy plasmas can be held by forcefields, but regular matter just passes through them. I'll have to watch the video when I get home.

6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

So? many of the patsfans board members have been using foil to ward of government death rays and chem trails for years:D

7. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

That's the Trophy system. We've discussed that a number of times over the last 6 months. Of course, you'd have to actually have been paying attention to posts in this forum to know that. Not surprisingly, the M....nevermind. :D

Never the less, Trophy is the system that Lisa Myers and NBC did a story on saying in claiming the US was letting soldiers die by not using it in Iraq. Some posters in here started threads on the very story and system as a result. The Israeli's have been working on this system for some time, and it has not been field tested (at least not as of last year IIRC). Anyhow, very little is publically known about the system for obvious reasons. Some have said that the US has purposely ignored using the system because it is not US made, and therefore we want to wait till a US manufacturer finishes a system that is currently being developed. Where this could very well be true (Shaq did get traded), the telling fact regarding Trophy is that the Israeli's, the nation that developed this system, did not use it in their war in Lebanon last year. Why not? Either the system is not ready, or there may be some hitch. In researching the system, most people conclude many different things. Some feel that the power needs of the system are overtaxing individual vehicle electrical systems, who are already at limits due to radio, infrared, and other assorted program requirements. Others feel that the system would not be safe to use in an urban setting where exploding projectiles would be a danger to friendly, and civilian persons. There are also questions about the added weight of the system, the ability to be able to turn it off, whether it has multiple, or single defense capability (meaning defends from one projectile and then must be manually loaded from the outside), and it's cost. It's rumored to cost around $300,000 per vehicle. With so little publically known about the system, it's difficult to know anything for sure. What seems glaring to me however, is the fact that the Israeli's did not use it in Lebanon.

9. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The TROPHY system's not a "force field". It shoots metal pellets at incoming missiles and rockets. It seems like a good thing, but a force field is something else entirely.

10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

All the vid said was that it uses radar to identify threats and a secret countermeasure to stop or really weaken them. It didn't say anything about metal pellets. It seems to make the explosive cook off while leaving most of the RPG's body intact as far as I can see.

11. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My source is Wikipedia, so who knows. If it's classified I guess Wikipedia doesn't.

12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The video is from FOX. Who knows who's right?

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Trophy shoots buckshot according to most reports.

14. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

yeah the fox piece is kind of misleading, it's not really an energy field, but still those videos are amazing. but based on realworld's comments, i do think it's weird that the israelis themselves didn't trust the technology enough to use it for real yet.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

I think the system would be ideal for convoys, considering the open highways and surroundings they usually travel. I'm unsure how good it would be in a market, or on a busy street. Plus, if you have infantry along side a vehicle that impliments this system, it might not be ideal. Again though, I'm basing my opinions on the unverified, and sketchy info that's available. Who knows what it truly does, or does not do.

16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I think I got a "Trophy wife". Whenever I come home from work all sweaty and smelly, she sets up a force field until I take a shower. Once a month, it seems like she has it on for about five or six days.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

I still say the Liberal Democrats will reject it just as they do Profiling and Wire Tapping, it will OFFEND our enemy, if we have it and the Muslims don't thats not fair.
    :bricks:

18. ArmyPatsFan

ArmyPatsFan On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Force field is definitely misleading......it has radar that picks up RPG like rounds and does fire a projectile that penetrates the head of the round rendering it useless. The projectile will continue and hit the vehicle but will cause minimal damage since it will not detonate. It has zero value against IEDs. Not a bad convoy system if it works as intended.

There is actually force field like armor...that is hooked up to thousands of volts of electricity that is supposed to neutralize rounds on impact that is being developed overseas. I am trying to dig up the story on this. Huge logistical problems with the batteries obviously...amongst other issues.

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

:rofl:

You're too much man!

20. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Power supply is a problem for most of the newer systems that are being developed. Most vehicles are already at red line levels electronically. It's like plugging in your entire house to one outlet. At some point, the line will either trip, or catch fire and fail.