PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New tidbit on Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Just read this in the Patriots Football Weekly -

"Maroney is the quiet type and not much into glitz, glamour and the fancy things of life as evident by a favorite tale related by Minnesota running back coach Vic Adamle. "We take most of our recruits out to a steak house in downtown Minneapolis that's one of the best steak houses in the country. Laurence went in there and he wanted a hamburger. He was bound and determined to get a hamburger at this steak place. In this restaurant you can't order a hamburger. So Coach (Glen) Mason told the waiter, 'You go back there and grind up the nicest filet you have and turn it into hamburger for Laurence'. Laurence was a happy man after that. I knew at that point he was a man after my own heart. The big fancy stuff isn't what impresses him."

Got to Love this guy!! :D
Kind of reminds me of Rodney's first "date" with Bill at a Ground Round, and how much he enjoyed the simple, straightforward approach, vs the glitz of Limos and fine restaurants other teams employ.

05 1st rounder likes 20yr old beat up pickups and roping cattle
06 1st rounders prefers hamburgers to steaks

what will next years 1st rounder be into?

jeffd said:
05 1st rounder likes 20yr old beat up pickups and roping cattle
06 1st rounders prefers hamburgers to steaks

what will next years 1st rounder be into?

*****es and ho's?

PatsChick87 said:
Kind of reminds me of Rodney's first "date" with Bill at a Ground Round, and how much he enjoyed the simple, straightforward approach, vs the glitz of Limos and fine restaurants other teams employ.

(*sigh*) any meal with BB would be enjoyable.

Last edited:
All led by a QB who claims two of the greatest moments in his life was meeting the Pope and going to Israel with Bob Kraft...a guy who donated his SB vehicle to his HS alma mater...a guy who prides himself as working out most in the offseason so he can keep his coveted parking spot...

Maroney will fit right in...sounds like a Pat to me.

Does anybody else think this story makes him sound more bad than good? To me the story sounds like "Laurence was getting his way no matter what." I'm sure that wasn't how it really was, but I was just thinking it kinda sounds bad.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist.

DocAdkinsDiet said:
Does anybody else think this story makes him sound more bad than good? To me the story sounds like "Laurence was getting his way no matter what." I'm sure that wasn't how it really was, but I was just thinking it kinda sounds bad.

I guess you could read into it that way, but given that it was an example by his coach of how unaffected Maroney was by the "glitz and glamor", I wouldn't make that interpretation.

DocAdkinsDiet said:

And who the hell wants a burger over a nice steak? I can cook both better than any steakhouse but, I'm sorry if I can get a steak over a burger at no cost to me I'm taking the steak. If he chose a burger joint over a steakhouse they may have an argument that he's a simple pleasure man but the being in a steakhouse and insisting on a burger is just dumb. I hope he can make smarter decisions on the field.

DocAdkinsDiet said:

Actually, that's the way it came off to me too. Reminded me of my stepson back in his 'brat' phase.

PatsChick87 said:
I guess you could read into it that way, but given that it was an example by his coach of how unaffected Maroney was by the "glitz and glamor", I wouldn't make that interpretation.
Repectfully, I think the coach lacks some common sense there. If I were a coach trying to give an example of how unaffected the player was by his celebrity status, I don't think I would have picked the story about the time I had to bully a cooking staff at a nice restaurant into running a filet mignon :eek: :eek: :eek: through a meat grinder so that your player can have his 'burger'.

Last edited:
When did steaks become glitzy? Sounds a little weird.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Actually, that's the way it came off to me too. Reminded me of my stepson back in his 'brat' phase.

From what I've heard, recruiting dinners like this often feel like trips into an alien world for kids from poor neighborhoods who have never been to a real sit-down restaurant before. I should make clear that I have no idea whether this applies to Maroney. But for an 18-year-old from the projects, sitting down to fancy linens and china and unfamiliar food -- even the process of placing an order from a waiter -- can be pretty intimidating.

The story could mean he's down-to-earth, it could mean he's bratty, or it could just mean he had no friggin' idea what a "filet mignon" was and wanted something he knew how to eat.

patchick said:
From what I've heard, recruiting dinners like this often feel like trips into an alien world for kids from poor neighborhoods who have never been to a real sit-down restaurant before. I should make clear that I have no idea whether this applies to Maroney. But for an 18-year-old from the projects, sitting down to fancy linens and china and unfamiliar food -- even the process of placing an order from a waiter -- can be pretty intimidating.

The story could mean he's down-to-earth, it could mean he's bratty, or it could just mean he had no friggin' idea what a "filet mignon" was and wanted something he knew how to eat.
Bah! Recruiting dinner. Duh, missed that the first read. Good point.

One wonders where they obtained the hamburger roll.

sieglo said:

'You go back there and grind up the nicest basket of artisanal breads you have and turn it into a hamburger roll for Laurence.'

sieglo said:
The store :)

A long time ago my wife and I went to a restaurant on the night it was closing. The waitress told us the salad would be a little longer than usual because they had to run out to the grocery store to buy more lettuce.

patchick said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with this. Clearly, the coach was trying to convey how "down to earth" he is, not what a prima dona (or pre-madonna as an intern once famously typed on a Pats press release) he is. That said, he'll need to learn to eat steak since Grill 23 seems to be where Brady takes his offense for dinner.

Last edited:
sieglo said:
"You go back there and grind up the nicest whole wheat grains you have, then add some yeast, salt, fat, and water to it and mix it like crazy, grab yourself a beer or two, wait for a bit, then roll this mixture into balls and toss them into the oven for awhile afterwhich you'll have a hamburger bun for Laurence.'

It's interesting reading this - one of Pro Football Weekly's comments on him is that he hasn't had good eating habits which is why he's not the full build he could be. Most people seem to think that he can carry 225 and be a true pounder in the NFL and, evidently, simply eating better is a big part of that.

BelichickFan said:
It's interesting reading this - one of Pro Football Weekly's comments on him is that he hasn't had good eating habits which is why he's not the full build he could be. Most people seem to think that he can carry 225 and be a true pounder in the NFL and, evidently, simply eating better is a big part of that.
One of the reasons the Pats serve three meals a day during offseason as well as season is the younger players, especially rookies, have no concept of nutrition.

BelichickFan said:

Did you see the Patriots All Access (or was it Totally Patriots?) piece they did on the Pats cafeteria. I think the Pats dietician will take good care of Laurence. Troy Brown can recommend the pickle juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes