PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Theory As To Why Patriots Used Both First Round Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEP4Life

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
On a certain local sports talk radio station, the mediots were discussing a possible reason for the Patriots using both first round picks.

In simple terms, according to the new CBA, teams are able to lock up first-round picks for five years, whereas second round picks can only be locked up for four years. For players drafted after the top 10, the fifth-year salary is based on the average salaries of the 3rd-25th highest paid players at the player's position -- i.e. a steal if the player is any good.

Section 3. Rookie Contracts:
(a) Contract Length. Every Rookie Contract shall have a fixed and unalter-able contract length: (i) four years for Rookies selected in the first round of the Draft, with a Club option for a fifth year as described in Section 7 below; (ii) four years for Rookies selected in rounds two through seven of the Draft (including any compensatory draft selections);
Section 7. Fifth-Year Option for First Round Selections:
(a) Exercise Period. A Club has the unilateral right to extend from four years to five years the term of any Rookie Contract of a player selected in the first round of the Draft (the “Fifth-Year Option”). To do so, the Club must give written notice to the player after the final regular season game of the player’s third season but prior to May 3 of the following League Year (i.e., year four of the contract).
(i) For any other Drafted Rookie selected in round one, the Paragraph 5 Salary for the player’s Fifth-Year Option shall equal an amount that would apply in the fourth League Year of the Rookie Contract if one calculated the Transition Tender for that League Year by using the same methodology as set forth in Article 10, Section 4, but using the applicable third through twenty-fifth highest Salaries (as “Salary” is defined in Article 10) (as opposed to the ten highest Salaries) for players at the position at which the Rookie participated in the most plays during his third League Year.

Last edited:
In a recent article, Peter King wrote that few GMs will exercise that fifth year. His tone made it almost sound as though there was as stigma attached to it, and that it was mostly used for leverage purposes. I think Pioli was the only one specifically mentioned to favor them.

Last edited:
They used both first round picks because there were two players on the board who were well within reach and they felt the value was there even with the trades. Sometimes the simplest solution is the correct one.

They used both first round picks because there were two players on the board who were well within reach and they felt the value was there even with the trades. Sometimes the simplest solution is the correct one.

And Kraft grabbed BB by his hoodie and said Bill trade up twice get these 2 guys LOCK IT UP I need a new T-Shirt in Feb!

And Kraft grabbed BB by his hoodie and said Bill trade up twice get these 2 guys LOCK IT UP I need a new T-Shirt in Feb!

Well.. I'm not going to go there just yet.. But it's certainly moving in the right direction..

Excellent, but can we get a CB or SS or both finally? Let's hope we can. The Pats want to have a Ty Law on the team, or Samuel. Too bad we missed the guard, hopefully both players that got picked in the first round pan out.

Last edited:
The pieces seem to be there now. Keep our key players in the secondary fit and give it an unerciful effort.

The Light retirement hurts, but they'll get someone to help.

Precisely. And because the money makes sense over the life of the contracts. It also gives the Patriots the freedom to take flyers on guys like Wilson who apparently is quite a leader and mature for his age - something they value over talented knuckleheads in the defensive backfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes