PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New study ranks the NFL best and worst fan bases

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised Buffalo is so low??? Considering their Tailgate looks like homeless festival. You'd think anyone next to a barrel fire or wearing underwear on their head has to be considered a Bills fan? Also all those kids in Africa wearing Bills SB Champions attire? That's an international following!

Having lived all over the country, i gotta agree. Not just with the nfl-but all pro sports. My experience is that boston and philly have the most knowledgeable pro fans, including all 4 major sports. growing up in beantown-we always had passionate fanbases, even when we sucked. but i think the bb/tb12 era, with all its historic success, has led a lot of fairly knowledgeable fans, to become much more knowledgeable-and that goes straight to belichek-the guys a grandmaster jedi ninja chess wizard-no matter how much you thought you knew about nfl football-the formations and schemes hes created on both sides of the ball over the years make you laugh but motivate you to try to figure out what hes doing.
It hasn't always been like this though Jim. Boston was far from a great football town, especially during the time your namesake was working for us. In the 60's and 70's the Pats were the #4 pro team in town, and it was a bad fourth well behind the Celtics and Bruins, while the Sox were the undisputed #1. It slowly got better over the next 2 decades, but the order never changed even after that superbowl year. It wasn't until Bob Kraft bought the team did the real improvement in the development of the fan base began. Smart ownership led to better coaches and better teams, and sellout crowds that football really arrived in NE, but even though they were closer to the Bruins and Celts, they never got out of the cellar until we added the ultimate edgeS in BB and Brady and the winning REALLY began. Up until then we could only count on having 2 or 3 competitive teams a decade.

Now after over 15 years of continual winning and excellence plus sites like this one, we have slowly developed into an era where football is #1 and the fan base has grown knowledgeable as well as rabid.
It's important to remember it wasn't always like this. When I was growing up this wasn't much of a football town on any level. It has taken a LONG time to create what we have. It also proves good ownership IS important. I'm glad I was around long enough to see it happen. ;)

It hasn't always been like this though Jim. Boston was far from a great football town, especially during the time your namesake was working for us. In the 60's and 70's the Pats were the #4 pro team in town, and it was a bad fourth well behind the Celtics and Bruins, while the Sox were the undisputed #1. It slowly got better over the next 2 decades, but the order never changed even after that superbowl year. It wasn't until Bob Kraft bought the team did the real improvement in the development of the fan base began. Smart ownership led to better coaches and better teams, and sellout crowds that football really arrived in NE, but even though they were closer to the Bruins and Celts, they never got out of the cellar until we added the ultimate edgeS in BB and Brady and the winning REALLY began. Up until then we could only count on having 2 or 3 competitive teams a decade.

Now after over 15 years of continual winning and excellence plus sites like this one, we have slowly developed into an era where football is #1 and the fan base has grown knowledgeable as well as rabid.
It's important to remember it wasn't always like this. When I was growing up this wasn't much of a football town on any level. It has taken a LONG time to create what we have. It also proves good ownership IS important. I'm glad I was around long enough to see it happen. ;)
Oh I remember well, ken. I remember watching my namesake tear up the afl. You're right, before Kraft Pats were either #3 or #4 option, depending on how bad ( or good) the bruins were that year. Sox and c's were 1 and 2 pretty much from the 60s - early 90's. I've attended Pats games at every home field they ever had: Fenway, BC, bu, Harvard, Schaeffer (I refuse to call it Sullivan) - except the 1 "home" game they played in Birmington Alabama. I was a passionate pats fan from the getgo: I hated the NFL - like most AFL fans - and I was pissed they merged - should have been the other way around. But you're right, lotta New Englanders didn't give a **** about the Pats until Kraft hired Parcells.

But it wasn't ALL bad. Pats had some great teams in the 70's - and they were flat-out the best team in the NFL in '76 - and there's no doubt they would have won their 1st SB if it hadn't been for "the-ref-who-shall-not-be-named". The playoff run in '85 was awesome.

But now we have the greatest NFL dynasty of all time-15 years strong and STILL counting. So its all good. BTW, looking forward to your post game analyses - one of the best things on this site.

One flaw in the study is the use of how much fans pay for tickets as a criteria. Teams such as New England, New York/New Jersey and San Francisco located in higher metropolitan income areas are obviously going to fare much better than Jacksonville, Tampa, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, etc.

Oh I remember well, ken. I remember watching my namesake tear up the afl. You're right, before Kraft Pats were either #3 or #4 option, depending on how bad ( or good) the bruins were that year. Sox and c's were 1 and 2 pretty much from the 60s - early 90's. I've attended Pats games at every home field they ever had: Fenway, BC, bu, Harvard, Schaeffer (I refuse to call it Sullivan) - except the 1 "home" game they played in Birmington Alabama. I was a passionate pats fan from the getgo: I hated the NFL - like most AFL fans - and I was pissed they merged - should have been the other way around. But you're right, lotta New Englanders didn't give a **** about the Pats until Kraft hired Parcells.

But it wasn't ALL bad. Pats had some great teams in the 70's - and they were flat-out the best team in the NFL in '76 - and there's no doubt they would have won their 1st SB if it hadn't been for "the-ref-who-shall-not-be-named". The playoff run in '85 was awesome.

But now we have the greatest NFL dynasty of all time-15 years strong and STILL counting. So its all good. BTW, looking forward to your post game analyses - one of the best things on this site.
So basically you're telling me, Jim, that you're old too. ;)

You must be that brother from another mother, because I pretty much followed your exact pattern. I've been to BC, BU, Harvard, and Fenway, etc, though I can't match your being in Birmingham (bravo). I hated the Sullivans too and deeply resented them naming a stadium after themselves. And yes for a couple of years in every decade they managed to tease us with some success. I have always had a soft spot for the AFL, and I'm not ashamed to admit that back in 69, I rooted for the Jets to beat the smug NFL. But I don't think that makes me a bad person. ;)

BTW- Jet fans (and the more historically ignorant from the media) have always claimed that it was THAT win that led to the merger. But like most Jet fan's claims it is factually inaccurate. While the game WAS critical in legitimizing the AFL in the minds of the fans, AND the actual merging of the 2 leagues came after that game. The FACT is that the merger had been agreed to in principle BEFORE that still historic win, as by 1968, both leagues were getting tired of the cost and effort to recruit against each other

It has taken a LONG time to create what we have. It also proves good ownership IS important. I'm glad I was around long enough to see it happen. ;)

But Kraft didn't appeal Deflategate and left Brady to twist in the wind!

:rolleyes:

So basically you're telling me, Jim, that you're old too. ;)

You must be that brother from another mother, because I pretty much followed your exact pattern. I've been to BC, BU, Harvard, and Fenway, etc, though I can't match your being in Birmingham (bravo). I hated the Sullivans too and deeply resented them naming a stadium after themselves. And yes for a couple of years in every decade they managed to tease us with some success. I have always had a soft spot for the AFL, and I'm not ashamed to admit that back in 69, I rooted for the Jets to beat the smug NFL. But I don't think that makes me a bad person. ;)

BTW- Jet fans (and the more historically ignorant from the media) have always claimed that it was THAT win that led to the merger. But like most Jet fan's claims it is factually inaccurate. While the game WAS critical in legitimizing the AFL in the minds of the fans, AND the actual merging of the 2 leagues came after that game. The FACT is that the merger had been agreed to in principle BEFORE that still historic win, as by 1968, both leagues were getting tired of the cost and effort to recruit against each other

"Old"? I prefer seasoned. or experienced. hell, we ALL rooted for the jets in that SB, as did every afl fan in every afl city, from boston to miami to kc to san diego and all points in between. "smug", as you said, pretty much sums up the nfl then. (goodell wouldve fit right in). The "hate" of the jets didnt really start til after the merger. before that , we were rivals, and you wanted to smoke em when they played-but it really was the afl vs. the nfl. for a long time after the merger, i always pulled for the afc team in the SB-one notable exception was "76. But since the TB12/BB era-im not interested in watching the SB any more if the Pats arent in it. Usually because it meant we were very close. The wounds still too raw.

Raiders and Chiefs as some of the worst fans??? NO way.

Your post is very true and it only underlines the rank stupidity of those who want to climb all over Robert Kraft's back. It is obvious that they never lived with some of the Pats previous owners. Kraft has employed only three coaches. One is in the HOF, BB will be, and Pete has won NCAA and SB titles and been back too.

Your post is very true and it only underlines the rank stupidity of those who want to climb all over Robert Kraft's back. It is obvious that they never lived with some of the Pats previous owners. Kraft has employed only three coaches. One is in the HOF, BB will be, and Pete has won NCAA and SB titles and been back too.
So true. This is no doubt that Bob make a huge mistake with his initial actions in Deflategate, but even though it was a horrendous error of judgement, it doesn't negate the massive contributions he's made to the franchise over the last 20 odd years.

32 studies were also performed that found that their local teams had the best fans.

A study was also concluded that there was integrity at 345 Park Ave, NY. While the report went on to say what a wonderful job the executives at the NFL* were doing and all they accomplishment for the children of the world. embedded on page 274 of 307 in Paragraph 7, sub section ii was found that the report was in reference to the structural integrity of the building itself.

Does that mean the the Patriots are now "America's Team"???

Somewhere in the bowels of the NFL Corporate Headquarters Goodell is doing his best imitation of "The Scream"..

images

The award for spending the most money on gear. At the same time half of this board says the NFL won't get a nickel from them :rolleyes:
Funny how when we're ranked high on one of these, everybody stands up and says we da best (DJ Khalid voice optional). But when we're ranked low, then the source and list itself are both reduced to drivel. Ah, the nature of the sports fan. Lol

Funny how when we're ranked high on one of these, everybody stands up and says we da best (DJ Khalid voice optional). But when we're ranked low, then the source and list itself are both reduced to drivel. Ah, the nature of the sports fan. Lol
Rule of life everyone overreacts. Different directions but same excessive reaction.

"Old"? ....The "hate" of the jets didnt really start til after the merger...
The true deep visceral pulsating hatred of the Jets started with Mangina.

Worst? I thought I'd been very polite and cordial. That ended at about 2:00pm today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes