Welcome to PatsFans.com

New Samsung NC-10 Netbook Review

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by JoeSixPat, Feb 14, 2009.

1. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 2 / -0

Recently picked up a NC-10 for work... I needed a laptop, often for meetings, inside and outside of the office.

A fullsize laptop just seemed to bulky... I shopped around and found the relatively new Samsung line of mini-laptops/netbooks. Easilly half the price of regular laptops too.

Very portable but very powerful, and as one who does a lot of writing for my work, the fact that it had a keyboard that was 93% the size of a regular laptop keyboard was critical. The other mini laptop keyboards are just far too small for someone who's a touch typer.

Here's a good video overview: Samsung NC10-14GW Notebook - Buy.com

Pricing is $400 - $450

Samsung's done a good job of getting the most space out of a small netbook area. Unlike other small new netbooks... the Asus for example - its not that much bigger than those but has a 10 inch screen and very little wasted space to make way for the full size keyboard.
    In a nutshell this feels like a fullsize laptop - but weighs under 3 lbs.

It's got integrated wifi (that seems to provide very high speed internet access... my wired high speed access is 25000 kbps (yes, nice and fast) and the wifi on this does the same (unlike my old laptop that would do 8000 kbps)

The integrated bluetooth is helpful too... I'm using a bluetooth wireless mouse that's very helpful. I'm trying to figure out how to configure my bluetooth capable phone to serve as a modem when I'm not near a wifi spot. They don't skimp on the hard drive - 160GB capacity (some netbooks have SSD drives that have fewer moving parts, but they're not quite ready for prime time just yet).

The 1.6 Ghz processor and 1 GB RAM is more than fast enough for the pre-loaded Windows XP and Microsoft office suite - and no problem handling any streaming media or other files. There's no CD/DVD drive of course but with a SDHC slot and multiple USB ports that's really not a big issue. RAM upgrade to 2 GB is easilly accessible

Oh - did I mention it has 6-8 hours of battery life? Eeking 8 hours is possible but I've found that 6 hours is very reasonable even with a bright screen and ample use (watching movies on battery power would probably be 4.5 hours at best... and I can imagine this would be a very welcome carry on item on a transcontinental flight)

So if you're in the market for a new laptop, I'd definately recommend the Samsung netbook as an alternative that seems to give up nothing in terms of capability.. indeed I don't know of too many laptops that have a 6 hour battery life.
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I disagree about giving up nothing. Just compare it to my 3 year old MacBook Pro.

MBP: 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo with 2 MB Level 2 cache and 667 MHz FSB
    2 Gigs RAM (Max 4 Gigs)
    SNB: 1.6 GHz Intel Single Core with 512 KB Level 2 cache and 533 MHz FSB
    1 Gig RAM (Max 2 Gigs)

MBP: ATI RadeonX1600 PCIe, 256 MB VRAM, Resolution: 1440 x 900
    SNB: Integrated Graphics. Shared system memory, Resolution: 1024 x 600

MBP: LAN Network 10/1000 Mbps
    SNB: LAN Network 10/100 Mbps

The lack of power is what gives it its' longer battery life. And the fact it doesn't have a fan ( I wouldn't recommend actually using it on your lap). Which is what makes a netbook ideal for a person who only needs a laptop to work on say MS Word or Excel. But, not an option for a desktop publisher or video profession for example. Also the relatively low cost. If you don't need power or a DVD drive why pay for it? Netbooks have always been a niche market. And I think they are being replaced, more and more by more power mobile phones.

Also as an FYI the Samsung NC-10's keyboard is coated with Nano-Silver .
  3. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 2 / -0

First of all, if MacBook pros are now $400, you've got me... I'm showing the white flag. I had no idea they'd come down in price that much. I thought they were still around $2000.

I was just comparing a netbook to a $800 laptop - which, I'd again stress, is not giving up much comparably. (I don't think the Mac Book compares all that well to the Department of Defense's latest super computer either - but at a few million dollars for one of those, I guess it shouldn't come as much suprise.)

On the heat issue you'd be surprised - the 1.6 ghz Intel Atom processor uses such low energy I've had the thing on for 4 hours and there's hardly any heat... which is part of the reason the batteries last so long. My old Dell laptop puts off much much more heat - and that's WITH a fan.

The collodial silver isn't a worry to me - there's people who actually take colloidial silver for what they claim to be health benefits. That's actual ingestation. While I might not reap the benefit of drinking it, I have a tough time believing that limited fingertip exposure is going to be the death of me.

Now putting it on a baby's pacifier with the FDA saying its ok? I think I'd rather err on the side of caution on that one too.

Try to recognize that if you're looking for a major gaming laptop, or something to simulate global war games, a netbook is NOT for you.

But if you are like most users who simply surf the net, use the Microsoft office suite and are using a desktop except for mobile meetings and coffeeshop wifi hotspots - a 10 inch netbook like the Samsung beats the hell out of lugging around a 15-18 inch laptop.
  4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Well a 3 year old Macbook (which is what I compared it to) maybe around $400. I was merely using it as a comparison for someone else who may read what you wrote and not be as tech savy. As I say netbooks have their place.