PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New salary escalators - $2.7mm cap charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urgent

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Note that Reiss is reporting that the Patriots just recognized $2.7mm in salary escalators:

Wilson - $1.475mm
Caldwell - $550K
Scott - $500K
Warren - $200K

The big charges to Wilson and Scott probably increase the importance of a DB early in the draft.

Any estimates on what that leaves us at cap wise?

Reiss says these escalators are based on reaching performance standards. What sort of standard can Eugene Wilson have passed on IR :confused:

Reiss says these escalators are based on reaching performance standards. What sort of standard can Eugene Wilson have passed on IR :confused:

I thought I was misunderstanding it myself.

Must have been cumulative games started or games played. Any cumulative stat could have kicked in an escalator from his rookie contract.

Remember that Seymour had a big one right before he re-negotiated. I think they are fairly typical - and significant - in first and second-round rookie contracts.

I think Miguel already had these covered. These are added to salary so usually appear on the NFLPA site PDQ. I know he did for Caldwell's escalator and his cap numbers seem to reflect it on the others. He actually has Caldwell a little above what Reiss states his cap to be.

Miguel must have already tried to figure this in, but was off on Caldwell's cap hit. Here is the actual difference compared to where Miguel has their cap figures:
Wilson's $2.4M hits the cap at around the same amount as Miguel's figures "$2,444,220"
Caldwell's $1.65M is actually .221M under Miguels projection of "$1,871,720"
Warren's $1.65M hit is about the same as Miguels projection of "$1,656,720"
Scott's $1.3M cap hit is again about the same as Miguels projection of "$1,336,720"

Miguel has NE's pre-June 2nd cap at $8.2M under, these adjustments could bring them up to $8.421M under their 2007 adjusted salary cap.

On June 2nd NE gets another $2.5M back from Dillon's cap hit, which will bring their cap up to $10.921M under their 2007 adjusted salary cap.

That's the best I can do for ya.

Fixed

Last edited:
Miguel must have already tried to figure this in, but was a little off, here is the actual difference compared to where Miguel has their cap figures:
Wilson 2.4M only hitting the cap for 0.33M over Miguels projectioned "$2,070,000"
Caldwell's 1.65M is only 0.1M over Miguels projection of "$1,550,000"
Warren's 1.65M hit is only 0.575M over Miguels projection of "$1,075,000"
Scott's 1.3M cap hit is only 0.08M over Miguels projection of "$1,220,000"

Miguel has NE's pre-June 2nd cap at 8.2M under, these adjustments bring it down to 7.115M under the salary cap, a difference of only 1.085M.

On June 2nd NE gets another 2.5M back from Dillon's cap hit, which will bring their cap back up to 9.615M under their 2007 adjusted salary cap.

That's the best I can do for ya.

You are comparing Mike's cap #'s to Miguel's salary numbers rather than Miguel's cap #'s which seem to be at or above Mike's. He had these figures already. He is only above on Caldwell because he has a $300K roster bonus in addition to the salary increase. Perhaps reaching the escalator precluded getting the roster bonus.

You are comparing Mike's cap #'s to Miguel's salary numbers rather than Miguel's cap #'s which seem to be at or above Mike's. He had these figures already. He is only above on Caldwell because he has a $300K roster bonus in addition to the salary increase. Perhaps reaching the escalator precluded getting the roster bonus.

Fixed it. Thanks for noticing that.

Last edited:
Last edited:
He still has Caldwell's cap number to high, though. Miguel has Caldwell at "$1,871,720" against the cap, when his cap figure is actually $1.65M.

Where did you get the $1.65M number?

Thanks for the info guys from those of us curious but insufficiently motivated to do the research.

-phil, the slacker

FYI, every now and again I go over to Jets Insider's and see how the other side is getting along. They are over there celebrating, thinking the Pats are going to have $3MM less in cap room. They were pretty disappointed when I and other Pats fans set them straight.

BTW- it is good to get out and see how the other half lives. Some of the discussion is ridiculous, but often you get to post in some interesting threads. Its often more fun than just talking with a board that is filled with a lot of like minded people.

Last edited:
He still has Caldwell's cap number to high, though. Miguel has Caldwell at "$1,871,720" against the cap, when his cap figure is actually $1.65M.

FWIW - I was on vacation yesterday.
Will fix Caldwell's number later this weekend.

OMG! Miguel went on vacation and didn't post a 200k cap adjustment!

What was he thinking!

Just kidding. Everyone should know by now Miguel keeps the best cap salary cap page on the ENTIRE INTERNET, BAR NONE. He's a human being.

Good job as always Miguel. Go outside and enjoy the sun.

OMG! Miguel went on vacation and didn't post a 200k cap adjustment!

What was he thinking!

I'm tellin' ya, the guy is a slacker and an embarrasment to the Forum.
He should be banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing