Welcome to PatsFans.com

New Rules..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Aug 26, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Did you all see the new rules and terms of service posted above.. there will be some who will have a very short shelf life.. hope the mods pay attention and make sure there is an equal enforcement of the rules.
  2. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

This is an important one:

"You are required to post no more than three sentences quoting an article and must provide a link to the article below it."

That's a change, right? Used to be 4 paragraphs. Glad I read that now.
  3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

a pretty significant change for many of us..
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ---- JAG ----- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

wes is all set ... he copies the title and posts the link ... he was way ahead of us.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

Yeah I am posting link only.. too bad sometimes I posted gov stuff that isn't copyrighted, but it is Ian's call no need to cause him headaches.
  6. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Oh yeah I'm not saying its a bad thing, just that I have to be mindful not to go over the 3 sentence limit.
  7. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

I don't think we have a problem in here ... but in the main forum there is often copy and paste of entire articles ... it's usally people who have not been here that long but I imagine it causes Ian alot of problems.

One of the biggest things ... and I'm no expert is that if say the Globe writes a story on Brady it gets recognized by Google. If multiple people copy and paste that article here it goes up in ranking on Google. I've searched for stories where Google sent me to Patsfans.com for the article.
  8. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

I know it may not seem like it should be a big deal, but believe me it is. It's also important to adhere to this too. I'm not going to get into specifics but let's just say that we are indeed being watched, and I don't want to let anyone have anything to complain about.

Ian
  9. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

This is the political room, so calling someone stupid is like saying hi. I can understand the other parts of the website being more strict with respect to the back and forth between posters, but in here, that rule is massive over kill. If people want to openly discuss politics in an impersonal setting like an internet forum, then they need to grow a set before entering, or not bother posting at all. This forum is like that 9 year old with the 40 mph fastball. You can either be a wuss and forfiet by not posting, or you can step up to the plate by posting, and taking your hacks. Life isn't always nice, and niether is politics. If we all came in here to be nice, then we wouldn't come here at all.

That's my 2 cents.

Ok, I just found another nickel, so I'm not done. How about putting up a disclaimer where you enter the political forum, that tells babies not to enter? I'd much prefer people in here be free, within reason of course, to let their personalities run their course. I don't care if someone calls me stupid over a political issue. We'll probably each be calling someone else stupid in unison, when a different issue rolls along.
  10. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

The 3 sentence limit sucks. If it a legal issue, I understand, but it still sucks.
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Is all of this the much heralded revenge of he who shall not be named (NEM)??? I wonder if our Az friend has stirred up some crap..
  12. Ian

Ratings:
    +81 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

If you're discussing different points in an article (that requires the use of more than that) it's O.K. to break it up and post that portion (again, within reason) and then post your commentary underneath it, and then continue on with the next section and do the same thing if it's something that you're discussing it. The problem is there are many instances where an entire article (or an extremely high percentage of it) is posted, I'm not saying in here but it does happen and there needed to be a rule in place for it.

Just use good judgement, that's all I ask :cool:

Ian
  13. Ian

Ratings:
    +81 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

Obviously this was posted sitewide and I understand the environment that exists in here. These rules are in effect to address some issues in the Football Forum, but that rule also came about to try and require people to put a little more effort into their arguments in all forums. I think the terms "idiot" and "moron" are also ones that get thrown out far too often with nothing to back it up. I don't expect everyone to put a muzzle on their personality, but if someone is going to call someone "stupid" or "a moron" now it will require a little more effort to explain why that person isn't as smart as the other poster believes they are. To be actively involved in political discussions and to be able to debate requires a level of intelligence to back it up. That's where it will apply in here.

I don't expect everyone to come in here and "play nice" (it's a Political Forum). And I'm pretty sure that the ones who come in here know what they're getting into. But obviously this can't be a free for all either. Whether you disagree with Patters or FTW or not, if it wasn't for the two of them this forum wouldn't exist. So there at least needs to be some "organized chaos".

But all message boards need some posted guidelines for moderators to maintain order and these are the ones we've come up with for the entire site. This was the first forum I saw a reaction to them, and I'm sure it won't affect everyone as much as you think ;)

Ian
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  14. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

Wistah has had the best statements about what this forum is ...
    We should let him design the disclaimer ... "Beware ye who hath enter ... :rofl:
  15. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

Does Harry Boy get grandfathered in? Please, please, please! :D