PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New rules for big hitters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this rule apply to short-yardage situations where a RB leaps over the pile, and LBs leap to meet him in the air? I mean, they lead with their helmets (LBs, that is) and launch themselves prior to the hit. By that definition, it seems that a RB will be able to leap over the pile and not be in danger of getting hit until he gets to a defender who is standing on the ground. But by then, he'll already have the first down (or touchdown, whatever the case may be).

I think the distinction there is that the RB is not and never was on this play a defenseless receiver who is blindly jumping to catch the ball opposed to knowingly diving into linebackers.

Banning headhunting is doing the right thing, and the fact that heap is bigger than Meriweather means nothing when a guy Meriweather's size launches himself at Heap's head and destroys him. It doesn't matter how big you as when someone takes a shot like that at your head.

My choice is good hardhitting football without dirty plays and cheapshots, and there is no reason you can't have both. Banning clotheslines and headslaps never hurt the game but saved players from losing careers and banning launching and headshots that have no place in sports is a good move. On the other hand the PI rules are a complete joke and have to be overhauled.

Somewhere in my rants I did say that headhunting should be penalized. But I think there can be a clear distinction between someone who is headhunting and someone who has left there feet to make a tackle and might make some unintential contact with a defenseless receiver.

I think there has been a clear distinction missed in the enforcement of Unnecessary Roughness. and that would be in the definition of the words UNNECESSARY and ROUGHNESS.

Sometimes you go to tackle in a clean spot and it is necessary but the opponent moves and you end in bad spot this shouldnt always be considered the defenders fault as it is neccessary to his job that he hit the opponent. It is unnecessary to aim at the head to begin with and I think a clear distinction needs to be made as to the target area of a player. I think this target area should be established based on where this players head would be if he were standing perfectly upright before a play starts because players duck into hits all the time.

Now to my biggest Gripe. The word is and always has been roughness so I am not sure why any unnecessary roughness would be called on plays that are not even rough. And this happens all the time as the refs try to interpreat the letter of the rules and will call penalties just for grazing a helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back