Welcome to PatsFans.com

New Rule....

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Sep 2, 2008.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +210 / 3 / -10

No member shall post as if they belong to the "right" party. Neither party is right or better than the other.

Yet I read posts that are written as if some of us believe our party is on a higher level. The fact is, it's not. We're all imperfect and hopefully, we all do our best to do the right thing (more or less). Why would anyone here kid themselves into believing their party is made up of better or more moral people...the fact is, it is not.

Keep trying with everything you have but no matter what, you'll still never be better than the other party or it's members. So can we accept these facts and act accordingly?

As a side note, I think this phenominon stems from the belief that we can somehow be better than our neighbors. It's the most negative effect of a competitive capitalist society and it's a lie. It is impossible for any of us to be better than anyone else. We're all just passengers on the same bus. no one on this planet is riding in a limo.

Call me pompous or arrogant, I don't give a rat's behind because I've said what I wanted to.

I'm no better than anyone else and no one is better than me (or you).

P.S. Of course my "rule" is just my own opinion:D
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  2. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Damn what a let down.... from the title I thought this thread was going to contain a Bill Maher routine.
  3. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

it actually amazes me that people swear allegiance to a party. why lock youself in?

i think everyone should be indpendent.

I wonder how many are independent on this board. I am.
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +619 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

New rule ... no bloviating .. none ... nada ... zilch.
  5. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

And I say - the spin stops here!
  6. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Except for those pesky political differences, you and I are on the same page. I appreciate the mature content of your posts PR, glad you started posting here. It's just silly when people pretend their party is "better" than the other. This mentality seems really counterproductive. I mean, we have to argue in many ways, political differences are inevitable. But we don't really have to get so personal and high-horsey about it. As RW likes to say, it's just the internet.
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

What will you do with yourself? This obviously now precludes your attendance here.
  8. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

I lean to the Right & I am an Independent.
    I almost always vote Republican, but I would never vote a party.

I was considering voting for Hillary over McCain.
    I am no McCain fan, but I love Palin !

The last time I voted for a democrat.... I voted for Silber in 1990 over Weld.
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +210 / 3 / -10

I'm 100% honest when I say I don't even recall you & I ever disagreeing on anything. I'm not saying we haven't, I just don't recall. I don't know if you're democrat of republican, but I like your comments here STFarmy!

And don't think I mean I don't know who you are. I do know I've read several of your posts I liked recently. By the way, RW is someone who also doesn't see himself as belonging to the "better" party.

We're all freakn' Americans, so let's deal with what we have in common and not what divides us (sound familiar?)
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +210 / 3 / -10

LOL! You certainly would make a good satirist PC! Although you & I agree on a lot of issues, I don't have your energy to fight against "them".

I'd prefer to sit down face to face with people who don't agree with me and beat the crap out of them...just kidding! I'd prefer discussion without yelling. Even though there is no yelling in here, I often feel like I'm in a room full of screaming people when I spend 15 minutes posting here.

We need all types PC, I don't want everyone to be like me. God knows I'd go insane!;)
  11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +210 / 3 / -10

And that is exactly what rumor threads are...100% BLOVIATION!

This is just straight from the gut honesty...very refreshing, isn't it?
  12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

But see, that's the problem. They'd prefer to beat the crap out of anyone left of them, always have, and are quite proud of it. It's what wins them elections. In fact, they even mock the left for "having no backbone." Yet, as soon as one progressive offers reciprocal firepower, they immediately and ironically claim we're the slimey party. It's priceless, it's Rovian, and it's what they do. Constantly moving the goalposts, constantly keeping their argument mobile.

I learned long ago to never EVER appease or placate empire supporters. It's the very reason Pelosi and Reid have utterly failed.
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +210 / 3 / -10

There is one thing I do not tolerate on this board and that is someone who keeps changing the topic of a debate or avoids answering a question directly. After all, that is the very reason why we come here.

There are a select few who believe that strategy is fair game and seem to be proud of it. What they don't see is the lack of character that type of behavior reflects upon them.

I've learned that the minute I become angry in a political debate, Ive lost. I've taken the proverbial bait and stepped down to a lower level. That's the most difficult part of debating politics for me.
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +210 / 3 / -10

Sorry to disappoint you Hoodie!;) I'm not that talented.

On a more serious note, there are a few "TRUTHS" in life that stand above all debate. Among them is the inherent equality of all people. So we can all agree that heterosexuals are no better than gays, rich no better than the poor, Christian are no better than Muslims add infinitum.

We can spend our entire lives trying with every ounce of energy we have to be part of the "better people" and it would all be a total & absolute waste because we'd end up right where we started...sitting on that bus with everyone else

Just as Thomas Jeffereson said;

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +320 / 4 / -2

PR, what's good about you is that you have a short memory. :p I don't say that to mean you can't remember sh1t, I say it cuz even if you have a verbal jabbing with someone in a thread, it's all good in another. ;)
  16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +210 / 3 / -10

I immediately took your comment as a compliment RW! This board is actually good practice on how to debate respectfully in real life. If you don't do it here, you probably don't do it your everyday life either.

As for getting over sh1t...WTF....how else can we survive? I think it's you who always says, "It's the internet!" And that is the main point. but sometimes that makes it tougher to be respectful.

Plus, I'm older than most here and I don't have the energy to stay upset over some internet argument.
  17. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

We'd disagree on political positions mostly. I don't consider myself as being part of either party, because neither party works for the people if you ask me. I'm a proud independent (we're like that up here in NH), but I definitely lean conservative/traditionalist. I've voted for both parties and have different opinions depending on the issue. We had differing opinions on the economy, with you arguing we were in a recession and me arguing we weren't (based on the traditional definition, not denying the terrible state of economic affairs this country has). But I enjoy discussing things with you specifically because you're not the high-horse arugment type. I like discussing different political POVs. I think I might start a thread about where/what people have garnered their political opinions from.
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +210 / 3 / -10

I hope you do, I'd love to comment in it!

BTW...we're in a rec...ah, never mind!;)
  19. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Haha. I probably will, just later. I'm "working" now. ;)
  20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +320 / 4 / -2

I've said that 1,000 times to people. That because it's the internet, and you don't see, or know the person you are speaking to, the attitude is very impersonal. Basically you're less likely to insult someone face to face, especially if it is a stranger. Here, there is no face to face, as it's keyboard to keyboard. That's something that people need to understand better. I do. I think you do, as do some others in here also, which makes it much easier for us to trash each other in one thread, and joke with each other in the next. An internet forum can't be personal. At least you can't let it be IMO.