PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Rule Proposals (Pats Secondary Potentially Screwed?)

If that pass interference rule gets pushed through, defense as we know it in the NFL will cease to exist.

Why?
How many passes are thrown within one yard of the line of scrimmage.

Why?
How many passes are thrown within one yard of the line of scrimmage.

If a CB is lined up ready to jam a receiver couldn't the QB just release the ball straight away and as soon as the CB touches the receiver...automatic first down?

25 yard line is perhaps too far back for an XP. I'd put it at the 20 yard line. Yes, 37 yarders are almost as automatic, but it might be that 42 yards are going to cause many teams to elect to go for extra points. That's just going to lengthen the game even more.

Make it a real choice. 88-92% FG at 37 yards or 50% 2P

At 42 yards, it's 80-88% or 50% 2P.

If you're an average offensive team, you'd be stupid to do anything but 2P conversions.

With kick offs at the 40 - if you had a defense as good as Seattle and a coach as crazy as Pete Carroll would you not onside kick every/most of the time? It's a 30 yard difference between the opponent getting the ball at midfield or the 20 from the ensuing automatic touch back.

If a CB is lined up ready to jam a receiver couldn't the QB just release the ball straight away and as soon as the CB touches the receiver...automatic first down?

I don't think so, because it is still legal contact in the 5 yard zone.
Look, all we have is Florio's description of a suggested rule change, so who knows.
If they were eliminating jamming I think it would be written that way.
Not to mention,what you said will work once, and the second time the DB will not jam, and pick off the pass.

I didn't even realize there was overtime in the preseason. That one should pass unanimously.

I think challenging any official's decision would slow the game down and same for challenging personal fouls. Okay with changing the Navorro Bowman rule. Fine with all the bylaw changes and the resolution.

The pass interference modification is terrible. Pass interference is ruining the game, they should turn it into a 15 yarder at most like in college rather than a spot foul. Not at all surprised that wasn't suggested though, the NFL needs scoring! Scoring equals money (that's why the PAT rule was added, after all, to make 2PT more attractive - more points!!!)!!

With kick offs at the 40 - if you had a defense as good as Seattle and a coach as crazy as Pete Carroll would you not onside kick every/most of the time? It's a 30 yard difference between the opponent getting the ball at midfield or the 20 from the ensuing automatic touch back.

A) Seattles defense won't be as good next year
B) 30 yards is a TREMENDOUS difference
C) Why would you hand back the advantage of having a good defense by handicapping them with field positon?

25 yard line is perhaps too far back for an XP. I'd put it at the 20 yard line. Yes, 37 yarders are almost as automatic, but it might be that 42 yards are going to cause many teams to elect to go for extra points. That's just going to lengthen the game even more.

Make it a real choice. 88-92% FG at 37 yards or 50% 2P

At 42 yards, it's 80-88% or 50% 2P.

If you're an average offensive team, you'd be stupid to do anything but 2P conversions.
Who cares about the length of the game? Adding more 2 point conversions would make the game more interesting.

Step 1: Peyton Manning is absolutely humiliated in the playoffs by a team with a notably good secondary

Step 2: A rules change is proposed that very offseason to prevent secondaries from playing defense against poor Peyton.

I feel like I've seen this before.

This is getting ridiculous now. Coming soon.. all players must get on the referees mic and publicly apologize to the other teams fans an QB after every sack. 15 yard penalty for failure to do so without sincerity.

I don't think the Broncos suggested this...why would they want to nullify their shiny new $57M investment?

I just couldn't comprehend the absurdity of such a rule. Pass interference is enough of a problem. So make it worse, and leave even more to interpretation.

Why isn't BB or one of our guys on the rules committee? I've never understand this. Rule Committee has always had guys who aren't fond of us (Polian & Fisher for example) on it. Nobody to stop them from screwing us.

Unless I'm not seeing it, I thought there would have been a proposed rule for hitting defenseless offensive and defensive players at the knees like we saw with Gronk, Cumberland and the LB for Houston which I can't recall his name.

I don't think the Broncos suggested this...why would they want to nullify their shiny new $57M investment?

They'll do what they did last time they changed pass defense rules.
No Flag
4f76066638026.preview-620.jpg

Flag
1105_spt_vpcolts8_t607.jpg

I don't even understand the alleged proposed rule change.

I'm almost positive the rules already allow PI to be called one yard downfield from the LOS.

The current rules are that you can engage in and retain contact within five yards of the LOS (though the contact can't rise to the level of holding) until the ball is thrown. Once the ball is thrown contact must immediately cease. PI can be called anywhere once the ball is in the air.

So "allow PI to be called within one yard of the LOS" makes no sense.

Is it actually talking about shrinking the legal chuck zone from five yards to one yard?

So the 4 proposals that makes the most sense comes from the Patriots.

Who do we have on the 1 yard PI proposal - Colts or Broncos?
Essentially...

Where's the remove the kick off rule? I mean if you're going to move it up to the 40 why even bother with it.

Essentially...

Where's the remove the kick off rule? I mean if you're going to move it up to the 40 why even bother with it.

It becomes as boring a play as an extra point. Any kicker worth an NFL job will kick a touch back. Pointless play.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back