PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW RULE is lame

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the ref made the right call, (which certainly is still up for debate for some b

I've never been one to believe refs should keep their flags in their pockets during key moments of a game. If something is a penalty, then it's a penalty whether it is the 1st quarter, 3rd quarter or overtime.

I agree.

But IMO it would not be called in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarter. Only when the ref gets the "face time" in OT to drive home a stupid point

This rule was explained at the begninning of the season. Here is an article explaining it on NFL.com. New NFL rules: Overloading line restriction will protect linemen - NFL.com

What the rule changes: During a field-goal attempt or a try kick: (1) No more than six Team B players may be on the line of scrimmage on either side of the snapper at the snap; Penalty: For illegal formation by the defense, loss of 5 yards from the previous spot. (2) Team B players not on the line of scrimmage at the snap cannot push players on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation. Penalty: For unnecessary roughness, loss of 15 yards from the previous spot.

Now some are saying that it doesn't matter if its second level players. I think the NFL needs to get their **** in order if they are going to be calling this stuff to decide games.

A-holes.

Line stunts are legal, so I don't think you're anywhere close to accurate here.

And enough with the 'outplayed' stuff. They played a 27-27 tie, including each QB giving up a pick-6, right up until the officials gave the game to the Jets with that call.

I hate when people use that logic, you shouldn't have to blow out your opponent to get a win. Jets didn't deserve that win.

We've been through enough as Pats Fans....I don't want to go into details because most here know the history since 04....
this year we lost Branch, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Mayo, Wilfork etc......

Why was the new rule on the refs mind on that play?

Preserve this thread...we were robbed

I hope everyone is angry

All due respect but I can think of a lot of teams and fan bases that would have loved what we have endured since 04.

I think that this thread deserves to be left on the board and not merged with the venting thread started after a loss.

I've spend some time trying to find the exact written rule regarding this call and I can't. From what I understand from listening to a few commentators, the penalty applies to someone on the second level pushing a teammate through the line.

Chris did not do that, he was on the line and not in the second level. I hope that we get a honest explanation from the NFL. You can't unring the bell but I'd like to see an admission of a mistake being made.

I don't think it matter what level you start at . . . he was the second level, i.e. he was behind his linemen and thus he was on the second level when he was pushing his line make . . .

it would not make sense to have a rule administered in the matter in which you want as all a team would need to do is have a line men stunt and get behind his linemen and push . . . it makes not sense . . . a much more logical breath of the rule is to it to include any player behind his teammate and push . . .

I agree.

But IMO it would not be called in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarter. Only when the ref gets the "face time" in OT to drive home a stupid point
I disagree. I don't believe for a single second the referee wanted "face time" so he called a penalty he would have let slide had it happened earlier in the game.

Sure are an awful lot of Patriots fans acting exactly like those Raiders and Saints fans we were making fun of an awful lot.

This rule was explained at the begninning of the season. Here is an article explaining it on NFL.com. New NFL rules: Overloading line restriction will protect linemen - NFL.com

Now some are saying that it doesn't matter if its second level players. I think the NFL needs to get their **** in order if they are going to be calling this stuff to decide games.

A-holes.

But that is not what the rule says. The rules says:
Article 3:
(2) Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation
So the NFL has made it clear.

I never asked you to whine and really could care less whether or not you do.

I was saying your statement about the ref is dead wrong.
What part about it is wrong? Did Walt Coleman decide the outcome of the Snow Bowl? No, he didn't. He correctly overturned a bad call and made the right call. Since it was the right call, the players on the field decided the outcome, not the refs.

A-holes.

In the quote you mentioned: "(2) Team B players not on the line of scrimmage at the snap cannot push players on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation.".

The link that you provided actually says:
"2) Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation. Penalty: For unnecessary roughness, loss of 15 yards from the previous spot."

No mention of "not on the line of scrimmage". I don't know why people keep spreading complete fabrication...

The call was bad, the rule is bad too in my opinion, but let's at least get the rule read correctly instead of spreading misinformation.

Teams B players....doesn't that mean B , as in LB and DB? If so, then it was an incorrect call. Jones was lined up as a DL and not at any of the B positions.

No, team B as in team A is the kicking team and team B is on defense

The biggest thing I see here, is not to lower ourselves to the level of Saints fans. Disclaimer: Any resemblance to Pherin, are purely coincidental....:rolleyes:

new rule is lame....just like how Mary J is illegal...but guess what...it IS a rule and it IS illegal. So deal with it

We lost, yeah I get it. But why not call holding on o linemen on 4th and 10 on last plays of the game away from the play? You just don't because the product would suck, that's why. I hate subjective rules like this. It makes me think of NBA basketball and the way they do things. Never fear Manning, if some team happens to get lucky and sort of upsets you in the playoffs there is still a chance they will make this call to save you.

In the quote you mentioned: "(2) Team B players not on the line of scrimmage at the snap cannot push players on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation.".

The link that you provided actually says:
"2) Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation. Penalty: For unnecessary roughness, loss of 15 yards from the previous spot."

No mention of "not on the line of scrimmage". I don't know why people keep spreading complete fabrication...

The call was bad, the rule is bad too in my opinion, but let's at least get the rule read correctly instead of spreading misinformation.

Look at the update date! They just update it. I'll attach a screen print of what it said about an hour ago.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 74
The biggest thing I see here, is not to lower ourselves to the level of Saints fans. Disclaimer: Any resemblance to Pherin, are purely coincidental....:rolleyes:

I was just thinking.. hmm.. I seem to have lost my shoe, do you have it :cool:

Games aren't lost on single plays or a single call by a Referee. We lost this game in so many other places in every Quarter. :(

oh really, looks like someone missed the Snow Bowl game . . . if Walt Colemen upheld the fumble by Brady that game was over . . . and we loose . . . Oakland takes three knees and game over . . . but he made the correct call in overturning it as it was an incomplete pass . . . but there is a incident in which a call decides the game . . .

Yes it does. Look at my screen print. They are now scrubbing the site of it.
I am very interested in looking at your screen print, but it is way the heck too small. Do you have a larger version you can share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back