PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW RULE is lame

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is mike Pereira's explanation:
NFL rules expert Mike Pereira explains the strange call in the Patriots-Jets game - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

doesn't matter if you are on the line of scrimmage or not, you can't push your teammate anywhere. I bet this will be the only time the pats will be guilty of this penalty going forward

It didn't look to me like he was "actively pushing" his teammate to blow up the offensive formation. He looped around on a stunt and collided with his own guy trying to get to the hole. I think the call was bogus.

page 58 of the following pdf (~5 MB)

https://www.nfl.info/download/2012MediaGuides/2013%20NFL%20Rule%20Book.pdf

Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation.

BBs interpretation that the pusher has to come from the second level of the defense is incorrect.

Whether Jones was actually pushing the guy in front of him is a different thing entirely. I'd need to see a replay to determine if the pushing was incidental or intentional.

That can't be what the rule intended. Teammates get pushed all the time. Watch OL pushing their RBs, and entire piles, forward on plays, just for one example.

just for FGs I guess

I can't believe that speech impeded piece of $h!t had the audacity to call such a penalty. Moreover, IN OVERTIME.

Have some f^%cking decency. You just do NOT call that!

Bill should have backhanded his meathead.

:cool:

Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation.

It's hard to read that and disagree with the call. BBs interpretation that the pusher has to come from the second level of the defense is incorrect.

Any "pushing" was incidental to the line stunt, it was not intentional. The ref was looking too hard for something that resembled the penalty as a point of emphasis.

I always thought the big distinction between College football and the NFL were that players are allowed to push eachother, hence the big hooplah over Reggie Bush's push during the BCS Championship.

BBs interpretation that the pusher has to come from the second level of the defense is incorrect.

Whether Jones was actually pushing the guy in front of him is a different thing entirely. I'd need to see a replay to determine if the pushing was incidental or intentional.

incidental and intentional.
he did his job
and we were robbed

I always thought the big distinction between College football and the NFL were that players are allowed to push eachother, hence the big hooplah over Reggie Bush's push during the BCS Championship.

too many rules...they're trying too hard

will it be flag arena football in 20yrs?

RT @fiftycal125: per @MikePereira it is, and was brought to official's attention during week to be called

Refs were told this week to look AND call it this week..and what do you know.

Doesn't seem right

Teams B players....doesn't that mean B , as in LB and DB? If so, then it was an incorrect call. Jones was lined up as a DL and not at any of the B positions.

SB39: Pereira has said the call was correct.

I'm wondering where people are getting the 2nd level distinction from, because that doesn't appear to be the rule. Rule 9, section 1, article 3 appears to be relevant, and it doesn't seem to say it's ok for a player on the LOS to push a teammate.
That's a good enough explanation for me. So like I've been saying all along.... the refs did not decide the outcome of this game. The Patriots inept play and inept coaching, combined with a penalty a player committed at a key moment, did.

Any "pushing" was incidental to the line stunt, it was not intentional. The ref was looking too hard for something that resembled the penalty as a point of emphasis.

Why would you even try to stunt when the LOS is completely full with defensive players? If you watch the play you can see that he just moves moves back and to the side and tries to push directly in the other rushers back. It looks like he tries to push the rusher forward. Not like a stunt gone wrong.

My complaints with the refs started earlier. Why were several Jets offsides and neutral zones ( as well as the defensive 12 men) blown dead immediately and not let go on as a "free play"? I thought they were blown dead OL when it was unabated ot the QB which none of these were.....

That can't be what the rule intended. Teammates get pushed all the time. Watch OL pushing their RBs, and entire piles, forward on plays, just for one example.
This rule doesn't apply to those plays. This rule is for FG (and XP) attempts only. There have been tons of new rules made in those situations to protect defenseless o-linemen.

It was the wrong interpretation of the rule anyway. Jones was not a second level player so there is no rule against him pushing a teammate anyway.

The call was lousy but would people please stop with their own versions of the rules? The rule clearly says:

"Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation."

No mention of second level. "Team B" means defense, by the way.

Teams B players....doesn't that mean B , as in LB and DB? If so, then it was an incorrect call. Jones was lined up as a DL and not at any of the B positions.

No. team B just means the opposite to Team A who are taking the FG, punt etc. In other words, it simply means the team on defense. That's clear when you read the rule.

The call was lousy but would people please stop with their own versions of the rules? The rule clearly says:

"Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation."

No mention of second level. "Team B" means defense, by the way.

What it says, and how it is supposed to be interpreted, are frequently not the same thing, as we all know from rules about holding, illegal contact, PI, etc... I expect that the NFL will come out with a statement about this, in some form, and that statement will lay out how the rule is going to be interpreted going forward.

Personally, I think that calling that a penalty the way they did is a really bad idea, because it all but eliminates stunting.

What it says, and how it is supposed to be interpreted, are frequently not the same thing, as we all know. I expect that the NFL will come out with a statement about this, in some form, and that will be how the rule is interpreted going forward.

Personally, I think that calling that a penalty is a really bad idea, because it all but eliminates stunting.

it only makes it illegal on FGs, for now.

My complaints with the refs started earlier. Why were several Jets offsides and neutral zones ( as well as the defensive 12 men) blown dead immediately and not let go on as a "free play"? I thought they were blown dead OL when it was unabated ot the QB which none of these were.....
A neutral zone infraction is always blown dead immediately because that means the offsides defender caused a o-lineman to false start. Since the defender was offsides, the penalty is against the defense but since an o-lineman false started, the play is whistled dead immediately, even though they don't call the false start penalty.

Personally, I think that calling that a penalty the way they did is a really bad idea, because it all but eliminates stunting.
It will only eliminate stunting on FG's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes