PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW RULE is lame

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the same way about the speed limit being 55mph on the highway, but its still the rule.......

I didn't see a good angle to call that penalty even in the most subjective sense.

Lets say me and you were to race across the country. We were told that getting a ticket immediately loses you the race. There are millions of people watching us, betting on the outcome, paying millions for commercial time, etc. We both know we cannot do the speed limit the entire way and expect to win the race, so we both do 65 in the 55. Police are watching thousands of cars go by at 65, yet you are the only person pulled over. What seems more likely, the cop pulled you out of a random sample of thousands (hundreds) of cars (field goals), or, the particular officer had a bet against your outcome, and used a legal stop to take advantage.

Just like a police officer can use any motive to stop a vehicle, an official can use any motive, and perhaps just incompetence, to stop a player.

The officiating was bad on both sides of the ball, and Tom Brady's accuracy was abysmal, don't get me wrong. The point is officials are using a highly subjective rule book so that a no-call or a penalty on the same play are both equally correct. How can someone be held accountable when 2/2 decisions penalty/no penalty are both the same. Do you really think anyone would be calling for the referees head if he didn't make that call? Of course not. Pretty good job to be an NFL referee.

You can't just to decide you're going to enforce that rule in over time on a missed FG. It's awful officiating.

It is what it is, its in the rule book so if they want to enforce it they can, my thought is they could have called a penalty on Jones for rolling into Geno for a sack earlier in the game so maybe they thought that even it out, if so sort of ****ty logic on their part but honestly we got outplayed today and that call didn't mean we would have won it just meant we got the ball back, the way we were playing offense I don't know if it would have mattered today.

Line stunts are legal, so I don't think you're anywhere close to accurate here.

And enough with the 'outplayed' stuff. They played a 27-27 tie, including each QB giving up a pick-6, right up until the officials gave the game to the Jets with that call.

If the push has an effect on the play call it. That had zero effect on the kick. What a joke. Let's decide a hard fought game in overtime on a call like that. Ridiculous.
Since when does a penalty get called only if it impacted the play?

I think that this thread deserves to be left on the board and not merged with the venting thread started after a loss.

I've spend some time trying to find the exact written rule regarding this call and I can't. From what I understand from listening to a few commentators, the penalty applies to someone on the second level pushing a teammate through the line.

Chris did not do that, he was on the line and not in the second level. I hope that we get a honest explanation from the NFL. You can't unring the bell but I'd like to see an admission of a mistake being made.

Last edited:
Yep. Belichick knew the rule, you could hear him yelling at the ref "he was still on the line"

Our team was robbed in NJ

for a rookie....Jones played hard...I hope he realizes that we were robbed

I meant #94 Jones (rookie)

I think its a pretty good rule tbh. Player safety is key.

You can't just to decide you're going to enforce that rule in over time on a missed FG. It's awful officiating.

crooked call...what was on that refs mind during the play?

weve been robbed since 2004

Since when does a penalty get called only if it impacted the play?
There is offensive holding on almost every play. Is it called on almost every play. No because the ref's use judgement which the biased ref's in this game apparently lacked

I think that this thread deserves to be left on the board and not merged with the venting thread started after a loss.

I've spend some time trying to find the exact written rule regarding this call and I can't. From what I understand from listening to a few commentators, the penalty applies to someone on the second level pushing a teammate through the line.

Chris did not do that, he was on the line and not in the second level. I hope that we get a honest explanation from the NFL. You can't unring the bell but I'd like to see an admission of a mistake being made.
I'm actually looking forward to an impartial, knowledgeable person giving an analysis because the truth is neither I nor anybody in this group knows. None of us ever heard the rule before today and we're all just regurgitating what others are saying.

I respect Belichick's opinion but he ain't exactly impartial. Florio weighed in but I have no respect for his knowledge. I'd like to see what Mike Periera says.

I can't believe that speech impeded piece of $h!t had the audacity to call such a penalty. Moreover, IN OVERTIME.

Have some f^%cking decency. You just do NOT call that!

I've been digging through the rulebook at NFL.com Rulebook and I can't seem to find this rule. I've found blog posts citing this rule change but in vague context. If anyone knows where it is clearly defined in the official NFL rulebook I would appreciate a link to it.

We've been through enough as Pats Fans....I don't want to go into details because most here know the history since 04....
this year we lost Branch, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Mayo, Wilfork etc......

Why was the new rule on the refs mind on that play?

Preserve this thread...we were robbed

I hope everyone is angry

SB39: Pereira has said the call was correct.

I'm wondering where people are getting the 2nd level distinction from, because that doesn't appear to be the rule. Rule 9, section 1, article 3 appears to be relevant, and it doesn't seem to say it's ok for a player on the LOS to push a teammate.

I'm actually looking forward to an impartial, knowledgeable person giving an analysis because the truth is neither I nor anybody in this group knows. None of us ever heard the rule before today and we're all just regurgitating what others are saying.

I respect Belichick's opinion but he ain't exactly impartial. Florio weighed in but I have no respect for his knowledge. I'd like to see what Mike Periera says.

NFL rules expert Mike Pereira explains the strange call in the Patriots-Jets game - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

In that article he sais that it makes no difference where you line up, which is something many forum posters seems to be thinking is the case.

You can clearly see that Jones first move is to stunt back and to the side to be able to push the other rusher(can't see who) forward.

here is mike Pereira's explanation:
NFL rules expert Mike Pereira explains the strange call in the Patriots-Jets game - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

doesn't matter if you are on the line of scrimmage or not, you can't push your teammate anywhere. I bet this will be the only time the pats will be guilty of this penalty going forward

That can't be what the rule intended. Teammates get pushed all the time. Watch OL pushing their RBs, and entire piles, forward on plays, just for one example.

I can't believe that speech impeded piece of $h!t had the audacity to call such a penalty. Moreover, IN OVERTIME.

Have some f^%cking decency. You just do NOT call that!
Assuming you are referring to Bogar. I don't think he was the ref who called it. As the head guy, he just announced it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back