PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Reiss Mailbag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe because, in the coaching staffs determination, that allows them to put all the best players on the field. Thomas may be a better fit outside, but by playing him inside it allows him to move Tedy back to WSILB and keep Vrabel at OLB. I don't know if that is the case, I'm just suggesting.

It seems to be Belichick wants to put the best combination of players out on the field, which is why Bruschi was moved over and Vrabel played some ILB the last couple years, despite their not being in the best positions for them individually. With Thomas, it could be the same, as his playing ILB allows the best defensive combination to be used.

Or, perhaps they are using him there to build skills and versatility, and when the season starts he may not play there as much.

I could see either way being possible.

I agree with that, but i hope it's not the case.

That would mean that they have not planned well at the linebacker and they are playing people out of position to compensate for that.

I disagree. Bruschi is in his last year or so. We have no one who could be the leader of the D from the inside, except maybe Vrabel. Thomas has to master this role this year, in order to take over for Bruschi next year or so.

Remember, when Bruschi was at the top of his game from say 03 to 04 we had tremendous defense because none of the dump off throws or underneath stuff was free with such great interior pass coverage from the LBs. Compare that to the sieve of the Brown and Beisel era. It's no co-incident our worst passing game coverage came when our ILBs were also the worst in years.

The idea of the ILB being just a "run stuffing thumper" is where this analysis is so wrong. In a 3-4, the ILB is the center of the defense, and critical to the passing game in that they cover the hot reads and force awkward passing lanes. Look at how many game changing plays Bruschi has made from the ILB spot - INTs, forced fumbles, tipped balls, interior blitzes, and on they go. And being able to shut down a TE or seam rout or crossing route from a 3rd or 4th WR or the outlet route of a RB takes a TON of athleticism. If you can do it with Thomas still in the game even in the nickel and dime package, you gain a tremendous edge - will he cover or will he rush?

And with Thomas size, he's even more of a threat to bat down balls or tip them up to the secondary than Bruschi ever was.

I believe Thomas is going to the best coverage LB on the team starting this year - and make a ton of game changing plays all while playing INSIDE. I could see as many turnovers going his way as anyone on the team.

Thomas has to master this role this year, in order to take over for Bruschi next year or so.

And if he doesn't?

Many players don't play well or ever master a different position.

We're expecting him to and to take over our defense in a year. Wow!:rolleyes:

I agree with this. I can't quite figure out why people view the ILB as if it were a postion that isn't as important or one that wastes athleticism. The Bruschi example is a great one in that he was probably the *most* disruptive of all the LBs in 2004 - and that was from the ILB position.

You're taking a guy who's strength is explosiveness to the quarterback and athletic ability and assuming he'll excel taking on linemen and playing in a confined area.

Have you seen him in exhibitions?

Where does this blind faith come from?

You're taking a guy who's strength is explosiveness to the quarterback and athletic ability and assuming he'll excel taking on linemen and playing in a confined area.
I don't think you'll see him consistently in a confined area. Think Bruschi's old role, think Phifer's coverage when in for TJ, Thomas may be thumping heads on run downs but there are loads of way to use his athleticism inside.

I think there'll be a different FA playing ILB, or a top draft pick next year.

I think he's trying to get his feet wet at the position so he can come from anywhere on a switch, which isn't the same as "playing' ILB

This question was asked to BB in a presser a week or so ago. His reply was that in order for Thomas to be effective in other positions, he has to master the intricacies of the D. ILB was the best position for that.

There is no blind faith, other than plenty in the FO. If Thomas is seeing time at MIKE due to BB wanting him to immerse himself in the calls but moves him outside when the games begin, great. If they really do believe that MIKE is a position that AD can excel at, that's fine too.

But it seems plenty clear to me that OLB has better future prospects than ILB. If AD does not grow into that position then NE has absolutely no one on the team to man the ILB spot for 2008 and beyond.

I don't quite get why so many people are so against the move. It is *clearly* the best move for both this year and beyond. If he doesn't pick it up, he will be moved. No harm no foul.

As has been posted on this board before regarding Thomas:

1) In Dean Pees' press conference, he indicated that Thomas would be introduced at the "Mike" as this position must know all the other positions on the defense. He indicated that this was a good way to teach the defense to Thomas. He did not say he was "locked" into that position.
2) At the time Pees made these points, Seau was wearing a red shirt. Seau came back last week and worked at the "Mike" as well.
3) Given Seau's age and his injury last season, it makes sense to a) Prepare another player who has the physical capability to take on blockers to learn the "Mike", b) to have backup flexibility on the team in case of injury or finding themselves in a "no huddle/no substitution" situation, c) and to indoctrinate Thomas on the Pats defense as this position has to understand the D from a holistic standpoint.
4) Now that Seau is back and ready to play, I would expect Thomas to be available for any LB or DL or DB position.
5) I doubt we'll see any indication of Thomas' flexibility during preseason as the team does not want to tip its hand at how this guy will be used.
6) It's a complicated D, and Thomas is a serious guy. He's not going to exhibit happiness or unhappiness as he's learning a completely different form of 3-4 from what he played with the Ravens. His nose is to the grindstone.

I think we'll all start to see the unveiling of Adalius once the real games start.

Last edited:
wow--I missed that--nice catch

I wonder if Reiss edited the question by removing the ranting about McDaniels...?

It was the irony of the whole thing that I found funny. NEM was trying to spin the move as McD needing another "behind the scenes" coach helpin him, when in reality it is a grunt who is just trying to make a coaching roster.

It was the irony of the whole thing that I found funny. NEM was trying to spin the move as McD needing another "behind the scenes" coach helpin him, when in reality it is a grunt who is just trying to make a coaching roster.

AND an insurance move by BB in case Josh McD gets taken as a HC in a couple years. This Forum now has a much larger signal to noise ratio via addition by subtraction.

This question was asked to BB in a presser a week or so ago. His reply was that in order for Thomas to be effective in other positions, he has to master the intricacies of the D. ILB was the best position for that.

I think he's trying to get his feet wet at the position so he can come from anywhere on a switch, which isn't the same as "playing' ILB

That's pretty much what i said. He's on the accelerated course that Vrable took over the years. No surprise that Vrabes did well when needed on the inside.

I doubt Thomas will play a lot inside, I think he's more set for the "elephant" role meaning he might rush from anywhere or drop into a blitzers assignment on a switch.

That's not what Bruschi does and it's unlikely he'll take over Bruschi's role IMO.

As has been posted on this board before regarding Thomas:

1) In Dean Pees' press conference, he indicated that Thomas would be introduced at the "Mike" as this position must know all the other positions on the defense. He indicated that this was a good way to teach the defense to Thomas. He did not say he was "locked" into that position.
2) At the time Pees made these points, Seau was wearing a red shirt. Seau came back last week and worked at the "Mike" as well.
3) Given Seau's age and his injury last season, it makes sense to a) Prepare another player who has the physical capability to take on blockers to learn the "Mike", b) to have backup flexibility on the team in case of injury or finding themselves in a "no huddle/no substitution" situation, c) and to indoctrinate Thomas on the Pats defense as this position has to understand the D from a holistic standpoint.
4) Now that Seau is back and ready to play, I would expect Thomas to be available for any LB or DL or DB position.
5) I doubt we'll see any indication of Thomas' flexibility during preseason as the team does not want to tip its hand at how this guy will be used.
6) It's a complicated D, and Thomas is a serious guy. He's not going to exhibit happiness or unhappiness as he's learning a completely different form of 3-4 from what he played with the Ravens. His nose is to the grindstone.

I think we'll all start to see the unveiling of Adalius once the real games start.

He's learning. If Seau goes down, I would much more expect Vrabel inside. thomas looks like he has a lot to learn.

He's learning. If Seau goes down, I would much more expect Vrabel inside. thomas looks like he has a lot to learn.
Agreed, yet it's smart to prepare Thomas for any LB position, as he'll be part of one confusing defense for the opposing team. Imagine with Seau, Vrabel, Bruschi, and Thomas on the field (with or without Colvin). You have many potential roles and no single formation that tips off the offense as to how each will play. Powerful stuff.

I still think while Thomas is in learning mode, he's not doing that badly. He simply has a limited assignment at this time.

Last edited:
Agreed, yet it's smart to prepare Thomas for any LB position, as he'll be part of one confusing defense for the opposing team. Imagine with Seau, Vrabel, Bruschi, and Thomas on the field (with or without Colvin). You have many potential roles and no single formation that tips off the offense as to how each will play. Powerful stuff.

I still think while Thomas is in learning mode, he's not doing that badly. He simply has a limited assignment at this time.

As I said, Vrabes can drop into any position and that's what they're trying to do with Thomas. When you're shifting and switching, you need to know the other guys assignment as well as yours.

I'm just responding to the people who think A.D, will take over at ILB.

They still need one IMO.

I'm just responding to the people who think A.D, will take over at ILB.

They still need one IMO.
Seau, then Vrabel and Thomas . . .

BB loves this kind of flexibility and will move these guys around depending on the situation and how the offense attempts to limit the defense. This is a nightmare for the opposing offense, and Thomas and Vrabel will be the wild cards in all of this. No one will ever know their roles prior to any given play.

AND an insurance move by BB in case Josh McD gets taken as a HC in a couple years. This Forum now has a much larger signal to noise ratio via addition by subtraction.

"Signal to noise" - wonderful !

Man, ain't that the truth?

I think Thomas top strength was his "football intelligence" which is most utilized inside. His next best strength was versatility - ability to either rush or drop back into coverage (the whole "he even played secondary once" thing). This versatility also tends to prove his football intelligence. Anyway, it is also most utilized inside (outside role is asked to do far narrower role - rush and/or set the edge). His third best strength was as a pure pass rusher from the outside.

The other factor is that it's been three years and no one promising yet who can master the ILB on this defense (it took Bruschi 5 years to be able to start at it). So it makes sense in terms of the impact on the overall team D.

After seeing two great coaches (Parcells and Belichick) use only seasoned veterans at ILB reliably, I figure "football intelligence" is just not something you can draft. You either need a veteran or someone you can stash for 4-5 years while they pick it up.

I still think in the 3-4, the play makers on D are all in the middle of the field, either the ILB or the Safety. So having one of your best and smartest athletes at the best "play maker" position seems a fit.

BTW, I don't think Thomas is "locked" into this role, or the coaches are sure he will do it best. I just think you want your best LB talent at ILB to make plays and so it's where a top guy like Thomas SHOULD go if he can make it there.

Last edited:

Ray,

Do you really doubt that the Patriots have a very clear idea of how they will use Thomas? Surely not. Everything we know speaks against it.

Time and time again, free agents who have been recruited by BB and Pioli have said how amazing it is to find how much they know about the player's own particular style and how positive they are about what they want them to do for the team. We're talking about a linebacker here, right in the middle of BB's expertise, whom BB actually coached for a week in Hawaii.

If you're doubting that the plan is to play him principally at ILB -- well, maybe. But if you're doubting that they have a definite plan ...

I found it humorous that NEM was up to his old tricks.

I find it offensive that you guys seem intent on slamming/chiding a passionate Pats fan with unnecessary ridicule, especially on a site where he has no way of defending himself. Why don't you just LET IT GO, leave him alone and give it a rest? Christ.

I find it offensive that you guys seem intent on slamming/chiding a passionate Pats fan with unnecessary ridicule, especially on a site where he has no way of defending himself. Why don't you just LET IT GO, leave him alone and give it a rest? Christ.

Please don't include anyone but me on your fury list. I was the one who brought it up and I am only one that your anger should be directed towards.

Despite my belief that Mike has made his position clear (and continues to do so with the questions he asks Reiss) you are correct. There was no reason for me to bring it up.

Last edited:
Reading through the mailbag, I find it amazing how people ignore facts. Like the fact that the Patriots have regularly tried to re-sign players prior to the end of their contract. They did so with Givens, Graham and Branch. Yet all three turned their noses up at the Patriots offers. Rightly or Wrongly.

What's worse is when the Pats DO get a player to sign early, people out there seem to think that the Pats learned something new overnight and have changed their modus operandi. The Warren deal proves that they haven't. The deal added 5 years to the end of his contract. They didn't rip up the old contract. And that was the sticking point with Branch. Branch wanted to be treated special. He wanted his old contract ripped up and the last year thrown out.

Maybe its just a pet peeve of mine. I don't know. But it makes me wonder whether people actually are paying attention to the goings on of the team or if they just jumped on the bandwagon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes