PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

new qb rule & and p manning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazy Koz

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
i breifly heard about a new qb rule that QB's will now through scuffed balls (is this right can someone clarify this). the other part of this is that manning has been calling other QB's about this new rule because he has posted significantly lower stats with scuffed balls. anyone else got better info or know the whole story? it sounds like this could be a good thing for us.

The only rule change I'm aware of is that visiting teams will get to supply their own balls this year. They have to pass league inspection. I don't know if the league allows scuffed balls though.

The rule dryheat referred to was wanted by both Manning and Brady, and maybe others. I'm all for it, Brady's numbers are way better at home. This may have nothing to do with it but maybe it does - regardless, playing better on the road is the last frontier for Brady.

Last edited:
Krazy Koz said:
i breifly heard about a new qb rule that QB's will now through scuffed balls (is this right can someone clarify this). the other part of this is that manning has been calling other QB's about this new rule because he has posted significantly lower stats with scuffed balls. anyone else got better info or know the whole story? it sounds like this could be a good thing for us.

Repeat after me.....spell check is my friend, and capitals won't hurt me, spell check is my friend, and capitals won't hurt me..... !!!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
BelichickFan said:
TBrady's numbers are way better at home.
I was referring to :

14 TD / 2 INT at home vs. 12 TD / 12 INT on the road last year.

PatsChick87 said:
Repeat after me.....spell check is my friend, and capitals won't hurt me, spell check is my friend, and capitals won't hurt me..... !!!;)

Thanks... I’d consider your suggestion, but I don't care. So, I guess you'll have to deal with it. This is a fan message board for f&*&s sake. If you want to be technical and grammatically sound, then you must know an ellipsis is typed with three periods… that’s three taps of the key not five.

I assume you meant THROW?

Krazy Koz said:
Thanks... I’d consider your suggestion, but I don't care. So, I guess you'll have to deal with it. This is a fan message board for f&*&s sake. If you want to be technical and grammatically sound, then you must know an ellipsis is typed with three periods… that’s three taps of the key not five.

typos and spelling aren't all that important, but even spell check won't tell you that through is not throw.

Krazy Koz said:

It is just respectful to those who choose to read your posts, one of those common courtesy things. There are other places with lower standards.

NEM said:
I amnot to sure about this one, I woldn't want MY balls scuffed.

Bull. I'll bet you're scuffing them right now.

Krazy Koz said:

Basically it boils down to the visiting QB will get to provide his own footballs when he's on offense. This will prevent the home team from giving the visitors slick/slippery brand new footballs to try to throw (resulting in lots of attempts slipping out of QB's hand).

Previously, I'm not sure a team could give the visitors different ones than they were providing for the home team, but for example, if you were the Ravens and were going to do a lot more running than throwing, it would be to your advantage to have both teams use hard-to-throw balls when the Colts came to town.

The "scuffing" referred to is a good thing, sort of like how you rub up a new baseball before putting it in circulation.

Last edited:
shakadave said:
The "scuffing" referred to is a good thing, sort of like how you rub up a new baseball before putting it in circulation.
Steve Young used to bring a pile of dirt in with him to artificial turf games so that he could get his hands dirty to help with scuffing up the ball and breaking down the slick covering that they have when they're brand new.

And as somebody mentioned, this was a joint Manning/Brady effort pushing for this.

BelichickFan said:
The rule dryheat referred to was wanted by both Manning and Brady, and maybe others. I'm all for it, Brady's numbers are way better at home. This may have nothing to do with it but maybe it does - regardless, playing better on the road is the last frontier for Brady.

The 12/12 is a little deceiving - there were 6 of those 12 that were tipped up in the air for easy INT's (ATL, PIT, BUF, KCx3). I'd say 4 of those 12 were obvious bad throws and the other couple were great plays by the DB's. One of his 2 picks at home (Miami) was another tipped ball (by Givens I believe).

BTW, you're the first person (as far as I know) to suggest that Brady has a problem playing on the road. He has a 28-14 road record, which is pretty damn good IMO. Looking through his numbers, I saw 24 good-to-great performances in those 28 wins (Buf, Car in '01 and Arz, Cle in '04 stand out as "fair" games). 12 of those 24 wins were against teams w/ winning records. Overall, he has a 13-9 record on the road against winning teams, again, not too shabby. When he doesn't have a good-to-great game in those situations, the Pats will likely lose.

I can safely say that there's a better chance that Brady will play well on the road (even against winning teams) than for him to have a bad game. Sure, I'd like his stats to be a little better than last year's, but it shouldn't take away from his career performance on the road.

richpats said:
Sure, I'd like his stats to be a little better than last year's, but it shouldn't take away from his career performance on the road.
Last year was worse than normal but let's not pretend it's not real.

2004 : 13/5 at home, 15/9 on the road. Not terrible but still more than an INT per game.

2003 - darn stats are nowhere to be found. But the @ Buff and @ Wash games alone were killers.

I love Brady but he has 1-2 really bad road games a year. I guarantee you that Brady/Belichick/Adams/McDaniel are all aware of it and looking to improve on it this year. After all, it is what it is.

BelichickFan said:
Last year was worse than normal but let's not pretend it's not real.

2004 : 13/5 at home, 15/9 on the road. Not terrible but still more than an INT per game.

2003 - darn stats are nowhere to be found. But the @ Buff and @ Wash games alone were killers.

I love Brady but he has 1-2 really bad road games a year. I guarantee you that Brady/Belichick/Adams/McDaniel are all aware of it and looking to improve on it this year. After all, it is what it is.

2003: 7/0 at home, 16/12 on the road (7 coming in the Bills/Skins games)

Every year Brady has a crap game that throws his stats out of whack. Hope he ends that streak in 06.

Looking at his home performances over the years, he really hasn't played noticably better, it's just that he doesn't carry the load as much as he does on the road. He can have a "fair" game and beat even winning teams at home. On the road he has to shoulder more of the load, and with that you can get some great performances (PIT, ATL last year) or some duds (KC).

I've always thought that it's more exciting to watch him play on the road since he's usually throwing a bit more.

PatsChick87 said:

wear is the spel chek on dis cit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes