Welcome to PatsFans.com

New Poll: Obama Leads McCain by double digits

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by MosiT, May 4, 2008.

1. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In a recent poll conducted by CBS News, Barack Obama apparently has rebounded from the Reverend Wright Slimethrow by the republicans and now has opened up a substantial 11 point lead over the presumed Republican nominee, John McCain.

Yes, polls at this time are really meaningless, but something definitely has happened since the republican Slime Machine, headed by the usual slimeball himself Sean Hannity began to use reverend Wright against Obama instead of trying to tackle him on the real issues.

Anyway, here is an excerpt from the article and the link. It is dated today, May 4, 2008.

(CBS) Democrat Barack Obama appears to have rebounded from some of the damage caused by the controversy surrounding his former pastor Rev. Jeremiah Wright, according to the latest CBS News/New York Times poll.

On one key measure, Obama has seen a big reversal since his denunciation of Wright’s remarks on Tuesday. He now leads presumptive Republican nominee John McCain in the hypothetical fall contest by eleven points, 51 percent to 40 percent. That compares to a tied match-up in a CBS News/New York Times poll that was released last Wednesday.

Positive assessments of how Obama has handled the situation with Wright are also reflected by a continued lead over fellow Democrat Hillary Clinton in his battle for their party’s nomination. Among Democratic primary voters (those who have voted or plan to vote in a Democratic primary) Obama’s lead over Clinton has increased -- he now leads Clinton by twelve points, 50 percent to 38 percent. That’s up from his eight point lead in the poll released just a few days ago.

However, among all registered voters who identify themselves as Democrats (regardless of whether they have voted or plan to vote in a Democratic primary) Obama and Clinton are virtually tied -- 45 percent for Clinton and 44 percent for Obama. This is similar to the numbers earlier in the week.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/05/04/opinion/polls/main4069259.shtml

The good thing about this is that even if he and Clinton are split right now with each having about the same percentage in head to head, come November when Dems go to the polls they will unite for the candidate against McCain. Democrats have been registering in record numbers this past year.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  2. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +115 / 10 / -15

#37 Jersey

:rofl:

Might as well of been a DNC poll.

3. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

A Gallup taken over the same period has McCain over BHO by 5.

Checking the internals of the poll is interesting as well. For instance, there were 75 more democrats in the sample than republicans, and there were 208 "independents", out of 671 total.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  4. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Good points. Polls are ridiculous in general, some more than others.

5. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As i said in my initial post, polls are meaningless at this time of a campaign, especially where the Dem vote is split compared to one republican candidate.

In either case, it is newsworthy.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +699 / 20 / -30

It will take a dive today, NEWSMAX is reporting a problem with Wright's Replacement..

7. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +489 / 48 / -7

#75 Jersey

National Polls in a Presidental election are aboslutely worthless....

We do not elect our President by a national vote (see the US Constitution for details), so any "national poll" is absolutely useless in determining who will win the Presidency.

What you have to think about is what state that GWB won, would now turn around and vote for Obama?? While you are pondering that one, think about this, can Obama win these states that Kerry (barely) carried ..

New Hampshire (Kerry won by 8,000 votes) 340,511-331,237
    Minnisota (Kerry won by 101,000 votes) 1,445,014-1,346,695

He is also going to have a tough time holding on to both Washington and Oregon.

You have to remember that McCain is not right wing conservative, he is going to attrack alot of independents and democrats.

8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +486 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Barak has my vote already. I'm so sickened by the job the republican party has done the last 8 years, I'm psyched for a "shock the establishment" event! Besides, it would be a proud moment for America...for ALL Americans.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  9. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +489 / 48 / -7

#75 Jersey

So you and Michelle, can be "proud" of America for the 1st time...

IF you think that Obama is anything but a cog in the Daley machine, your fooling yourself.

10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +693 / 17 / -18

#24 Jersey

None of us are happy with Bush's spending, etc, but when you look at whatever problems you see - spending, jobs going overseas, gas prices, whatever, you have to ask yourself what the new guy could/would do about it. Just saying "change" isn't going to do it. Obama can't wave his wand and say "Gas prices - change" and have them magically go down. Or "Jobs - come back" and voila.

I'm not a McCain fan at all but I'd prefer him to Obama. We have a better chance of things getting better if we have low taxes and try to increase the energy supply with oil drilling and moving forward on nuclear power than hoping Obama can just wave his magic wand.

Heck we could elect Willie McGinnest (to pick a name) as a "shock the establishment" event; not sure it would help, though. Shocking the system with the Senator with the least experience and the most Liberal voting record hardly resonates confidence in me.

11. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So you believe that "more of the same" will cure all of the problems created in our nation in the last seven years and restore our standing in the eyes of the world, too?

And "more of the same" will save American lives in Iraq?

Who will "more of the same" lower taxes for?

Just wondering.

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +693 / 17 / -18

#24 Jersey

NEM, I didn't say I like more of the same but I haven't heard a solution from Obama that sounds any better.

The rich pay more in taxes now, as a percentage, than they did under Clinton. God help the working class if we raise taxes on job creators.

13. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am not him, and at this point in time I haven't heard much from Obama either. I am sure we will hear more once he is declared the official nominee.

Point is it is time for change. We as a nation can not continue down the same path any longer.

14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +693 / 17 / -18

#24 Jersey

I'm not voting for change for the sake of change. Change can be bad - very bad. Blind change is just stupid.

15. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

:trolls:

NEM is the worst kind of troll...sticking his thumb in Ian's eye and getting away with it....

16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,750 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Yeah a guy from Vancouver comes here averaging 30 posts a day, mostly in the Political forum with the same political viewpoints and writing style ... what a scum bag.

Oh ... and I forgot almost every post is edited so we don't pick up on the same bad spelling ... :rofl:

There's more ... but I'll keep it to myself lest he corrects those tipoffs.

17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +693 / 17 / -18

#24 Jersey

I know, I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +817 / 7 / -2

Looks like USA Today has some tough numbers for Obama.

Poll: Flap over pastor hurts Obama

by Mark Wilson, Getty Images

Barack Obama's national standing has been significantly damaged by the controversy over his former pastor, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds, raising questions for some voters about the Illinois senator's values, credibility and electability.

The erosion of support among Democrats and independents raises the stakes in Tuesday's Indiana and North Carolina primaries, which represent a chance for Obama to reassert his claim to a Democratic nomination that seems nearly in his grasp. A defeat in Indiana and a close finish in North Carolina, where he's favored, could fuel unease about his ability to win in November. Such results also could help propel Hillary Rodham Clinton's uphill campaign all the way to the Democratic convention in August.

In the USA TODAY survey, taken Thursday through Saturday, Clinton leads Obama among Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents by 7 percentage points, the first time in three months she has been ahead. Two weeks ago, before the controversy over comments by Jeremiah Wright reignited, Obama led by 10 points.

POLL: Latest results

In February, Democrats and Democratic leaners by 33 points said Obama had a better shot at beating Republican John McCain in November. Clinton is now seen as the stronger candidate by 5 points

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-05-04-obama_N.htm

19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +817 / 7 / -2

Some factoids.

20. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I've got him on ignore, but pretty much everyone argues with his stupid anti-American posts so he gets quoted all the time...LOL

:bricks:

:D