PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Policy - Using member quotes in Signatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for removing an irritant from the forum!

As a poster who has posted his share of outrageously stupid comments that have come back to bite me in the arse, I whole heartily support this new rule.

On a side note, I'm still waiting for Ian to install the post eraser module that will not only delete an unwanted posts from the site, but also from everyone's memories. I could use that right now after my posts about the likelihood of BJGE making the final 53 man roster.

Ian...How about minimizing the excessively large signature pictures that dominate thread pages and limit posts per page.

Great call Ian ! Everybody is entitled for their opinions and no need to take it personal. I support the above post about a policy for huge picture signatures that occupies a lot of space.

Last edited:
Another typically wise and just decision.

This sucks. I was waiting for you to say something really stupid. Should have pulled the trigger when I had the chance.

Mine was an example of the wisdom of our much-admired Mr O'Rocks. He said that he would wait another season before panicking and I'd hoped to have it in my sig for some time. On the other hand, the Seymour trade ... :eek:

This sucks. I was waiting for you to say something really stupid. Should have pulled the trigger when I had the chance.

yeah, ian probably saved a lot of people from themselves by timing this for the Seymour trade announcement....hmmm...as i think about it, can you spell c-o-n-s-p-i-r-a-c-y?

The practice of using quotes by other members is now no longer permitted. It's gone on long enough, and it's obviously not good for the community. If you have one in your signature please take a moment and remove it.
Good move, i thought it was petty to continually rub someones face in a percieved mistake.

Last edited:
when some says "mark my words," followed by something which ends up being comically wrong, I feel it deserves to live on in infamy. I will miss seeing the Cassell/Gutz quote.

In all the war movies, don't our guys always hurl back smoking grenades
first tossed by the baddies? Isn't quoting someone's inanities ACCURATELY
pretty much the same thing?

But okay.
If it's incivil to remind people of their blunders, then ban it.

A year or so ago, however, my sig for quite some time came from
PatsFanInVirginia.
I was APPLAUDING the acuity of that insight
and the felicity of his expression. It was great stuff!
The author could only feel complimented whenever someone saw it repeated.

May i suggest that the new policy exempt
citations whose re-use is approved by the person being quoted?

Then what the heck is that little QUOTE button doing on the lower right of every post if not to quote members?

The only quotes I've seen in signatures were of the arrogant, My-opinion-is-the-only-right-one and/or the I-know-more-than-you-do statements. Nothing wrong with hoisting those puppies on their own petards.

In general, I think that anything you write publically is fair game to be quoted. The only caveat I see is quoting fairly and not misquoting.

However, Ian put so much work into this site that I am happy to follow the rules without reservation, whether I agree with them or not. So does anyone know if Al Davis is a member of Patsfans? If he is, I will remove my signature. Otherwise I will leave it as stands.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Then what the heck is that little QUOTE button doing on the lower right of every post if not to quote members?

The only quotes I've seen in signatures were of the arrogant, My-opinion-is-the-only-right-one and/or the I-know-more-than-you-do statements. Nothing wrong with hoisting those puppie on their own petards.

In general, I think that anything you write publically is fair game to be quoted. The only caveat I see is quoting fairly and not misquoting.

However, Ian put so much work into this site that I am happy to follow the rules without reservation, whether I agree with them or not. So does anyone know if Al Davis is a member of Patsfans? If he is, I will remove my signature. Otherwise I will leave it as stands.

Thanks.

I'm not talking about quoting them in your responses, nor do I have a problem with you using a quote in your signature. I'm talking about using a quote by another member from here in the forum in your signatures in an effort to obviously make fun of something they said.

Last edited:
In all the war movies, don't our guys always hurl back smoking grenades
first tossed by the baddies? Isn't quoting someone's inanities ACCURATELY
pretty much the same thing?

But okay.
If it's incivil to remind people of their blunders, then ban it.

A year or so ago, however, my sig for quite some time came from
PatsFanInVirginia.
I was APPLAUDING the acuity of that insight
and the felicity of his expression. It was great stuff!
The author could only feel complimented whenever someone saw it repeated.

May i suggest that the new policy exempt
citations whose re-use is approved by the person being quoted?

If you're that impressed and found something they said that insightful and they sign off on it, you're absolutely more than welcome to honor them in your signature. :eat2:

Last edited:
when some says "mark my words," followed by something which ends up being comically wrong, I feel it deserves to live on in infamy. I will miss seeing the Cassell/Gutz quote.

I'm not getting involved in this discussion on any 'pro/con' basis. I will just note that I posted that comment in my sig the very day it was made, I offered, on more than one occasion, to remove it any time the poster conceded on the point and asked me to remove it, and I'd just replaced it with another poster's assertion about Maroney and his future in New England.

So, you weren't going to be seeing the "Mark my words...." quote in my sig anymore, whether Ian made this rule or not.

Last edited:
As I said I wasn't targeting any one individual - it's now blanket rule and hopefully will reduce the amount of animosity there has been in here recently. There were some really bad ones out there - so hopefully this puts an end to it.

Last edited:
I will miss seeing the Cassell/Gutz quote.

And I will miss mocking those who throw such quotes in other peoples faces.

Everyone here has made statements that, in hindsight, don't hold up well to scrutiny.

The same person who was so fond of rubbing in the Cassell/Gutz quote himself stated that "Cassel isn't going to run down to Foxboro to sign the franchise tag tender" - and obviously was wrong about that, but most people are above rubbing things like that in people's faces.

Lately the practice had been getting out of hand. I'm glad Ian put his foot down

They were funny. Never had some, but seems like we're a tad oversensitive.

Great call Ian ! Everybody is entitled for their opinions and no need to take it personal. I support the above post about a policy for huge picture signatures that occupies a lot of space.

I've had quotes and signatures turned off almost since I started posting here. So I've missed out on what everyone has been saying (and seeing).

Actually, that's been a good thing. :singing:

is Borges a member?? God knows what i'd do if I couldn't read his quotes in sigs:p He must be hailed as the king of sig worthy quote fodder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes