PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Patriots Jersey #'s / History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like the Patriots to un-retire all their "retired" Numbers. But with a twist.

First of all all retired number recipients get immediate status in the Pats Hall of Fame. Secondly they get automatic status in the Ring of Honor.

Third the un-retired numbers have a special something on them. The back of the jerseys now contain player name, below that the Jersey number. I would ADD a third line, half the size of the current player's name, line below the jersey number, that lists the retirees name, perhaps in gold.

That way whenever a fan sees say a current player wearing say Number 20 or Number 40, they would know that that is a hallowed number. What is more it would inform and remind newer fans, just who wore that number with distinction previously. Players who they may have never seen play as they were before their time. Many current fans have no idea who wore the retired numbers. This is a test for the fans, to illustrate the problem, that retiring a number, is like banishing a great player into oblivion, as if he never existed, nor his number either. In effect, he becomes an "un-person", as if here a thief or murderer.

Retired Number Quiz: Who wore:

#20?
#40?
#56?
#57?
#73?
#79?

Bonus: There is one more retired Patriots number. Do you know what it is, and who wore it with distinction?:confused::confused::confused:

20 Cappeletti
40 Haynes?
56 Tippett
57 Nelson
73 Hannah
79 Jim Lee Hunt
Bonus 89 Bob Dee or 78 Armstrong

Last edited:
I would like the Patriots to un-retire all their "retired" Numbers. But with a twist.

First of all all retired number recipients get immediate status in the Pats Hall of Fame. Secondly they get automatic status in the Ring of Honor.

All of them already are in the Patriots Hall of Fame...alongside Nick Buoniconti, Ben Coates, Steve Grogan, Babe Parilli, Stanley Morgan, and Billy Sullivan.

Retired Number Quiz: Who wore:

#20? Gino Cappelletti
#40? Haynes
#56? Tippett
#57? Nelson
#73? Hannah
#79? Hunt

Bonus: There is one more retired Patriots number. Do you know what it is, and who wore it with distinction?:confused::confused::confused:

Both 78 AND 89 are missing from the list for Bruce Armstrong and Bob Dee.

20 Cappeletti
40 Haynes?
56 Tippett
57 Nelson
73 Hannah
79 Jim Lee Hunt
Bonus 89 Bob Dee or 78 Armstrong

Winner! Bob Dee and # 89 is the other retired number...:youtheman:

Last edited:
As is Armstrong's #78, retired after he retired in 2000.

If so you da man too. Without checking, I recalled only one more and that was Bob Dee. :youtheman:

It seems no one wants to comment on putting the retiree's name on his old Jersey #. I would have thought that would create some discussion. :confused:

It seems no one wants to comment on putting the retiree's name on his old Jersey #. I would have thought that would create some discussion. :confused:

I think that is a good idea. Like you said, it keeps numbers active and also lets fans know that the number was something special at one time. Pat's hall of fame, ring of honor, name on current jersey, sounds good to me.

Yeah, I guess with 91 players they need all the numbers they can get. Maybe they should start going into triple figures.

or decimals.....we could issue 80.1 or possibly negatives......we could have a -80........

A couple related notes:

1) During camp back in '01, Bryan Cox wore 0 on his jersey because someone else had 51, and he refused to wear any other number. Fortunately for him whomever wore 51 in camp got cut, because the league only lets players wear 0 in camp.

2) When Randy Moss came here, did he try to get 84 from Watson? I ask because I was watching some old footage of him from his Minnesota daze and there he wore 84. In Oakland he wore 16 or 19 or something. Or did he not care about numbers?

How did Jim Otto get inio the Hall of Fame while wearing ... 00?:eek:

Sorry for the necro, but I was wondering if 25 is the official number Patrick Chung will be wearing this year? It's listed on his wiki page, but we all know how reliable that is. :rolleyes:

A couple related notes:

1) During camp back in '01, Bryan Cox wore 0 on his jersey because someone else had 51, and he refused to wear any other number. Fortunately for him whomever wore 51 in camp got cut, because the league only lets players wear 0 in camp.

2) When Randy Moss came here, did he try to get 84 from Watson? I ask because I was watching some old footage of him from his Minnesota daze and there he wore 84. In Oakland he wore 16 or 19 or something. Or did he not care about numbers?

When Moss got here, he was wearing #6 in TC, and I believe he asked the NFL to let him wear it. They shot him down like they did when Reggie Bush asked to wear #5.

In Oakland he was #18. I think he chose #81 because he was reversing his fortunes or something like that (plus Stallworth already had #18).

Last edited:
Sorry for the necro, but I was wondering if 25 is the official number Patrick Chung will be wearing this year? It's listed on his wiki page, but we all know how reliable that is. :rolleyes:

To pervert BB's catchphrase, "It will be what it will be." ;)

But for now, "It is what it is." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back