PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Patriot player most likely to adjust from his former team to his new team here

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Which of our new players will make the easiest adjustment to becoming a part of the Patriots offensive/defensive schemes from his previous team?

Some guys in the past did not do well (Duane Starks,Monty Beisel,Chad Brown,Doug Gabriel ect) - Maybe they just stunk or maybe did not adjust to a unique Patriots scheme
So the question is who makes the transition to being a Patriot the easiest? (Rookies count too if you want to pick Merriweather)

If you want to add-on more to this then who struggles to learn the system most?

Easiest transition ? - I say its Kyle Brady
Kyle just needs to come in and do what he has done the best in the league for quite a while and thats simply protect Brady and block as well as he always has done before - Sure he will catch some passes this year but don't think it will be anything to write home about - Kyle is an extra Offensive lineman more than anything in this offensive scheme and thats what he was signed for,not to become an offensive juggernaut at TE,Thats Watson's and Thomas's job - Should be an easy transition from the Jags to the Pats,and long term NFL player experience helps too,Kyle makes this team's roster with no problem.

Hardest transition? - Adalius Thomas - Until the infamous 'Ravens former player jinx' wears away from my fears,I am a bit shy on saying Adalius will come right in and be a powerhouse,Former Ravens have a tendency to struggle,at least for a bit with their new teams schemes so Adalius hopefully will be the exception rather than the addition to that jinx - I think he will be fine in time this year,but don't expect too much of an immediate BIG player impact for at least until a 1/4 to 1/2 of the season has gone by,it will take time I think.

Re: New Patriot player most likely to adjust from his former team to his new team her

One of the things noticed this year is the integration of all the new guys into the Pats Charity stuff, noticed that Moss, AT, Welker et al have been doing lots of team stuff. Overall this would seem to be good for the team and good opportunity to get know each other and the NE Passion for this team.. my vote right now is for Wes Welker with A. Thomas a close second. No particular reason, except both are hard workers and pretty bright and those players seem to adapt better than the opposite.

Re: New Patriot player most likely to adjust from his former team to his new team her

I agree with Welker. Not sure why, I guess b/c he seems sharp and his position seems more instinctive than some of the others.

Def Wes Welker...I mean he has great hands/speed/smarts/heart..

he's going to be asked to return kicks and catch 3rd and longs..

You all saw was Troy Brown did 7-8 years ago and the same role basically..do the math.

Adalius Thomas might have a bit of a transition period only because our overall Team Speed on Defense is slower than that of the ravens..put he'll get into the belicheck way in no time.. Wrap up and Tackle 3 times and watch the punts fly.

also I dont believe He will be asked to Rush the QB as much as he did in Baltimore..I think his coverage abilities will be utilized more often.

Randy Moss

I'm sure he can't wait to shed the stench of the losing ways in Oakland.

He's got enough natural talent where it won't take much adjusting to succeed here.

Moss easily ..... the guys gonna be a major headache to opposing defenses before he even steps foot on the field. Kinda tough to beat that impact from an easy adjustment perspective.

Randy Moss, no question.

I think AD will fit in nicely because of his versatility. Even if he has problems he has Bruschi, Vrabel, Seau, and Colvin to lean on.

Tory James was getting burned a lot in Cincy and now he's coming to an even more complicated defense... I think he may struggle.

New Vets
Tory James on the defensive side. This guys a vet with lots of experience. He'll adapt quickly to whatever the Pats throw at him. This is not to say he will or won't be a starter, however, as long as he's healthy, he'll be a consistent player in the mix in certain packages.

Kyle Brady & Wes Welker on the offensive side. Both are familiar with their roles and positions they'll play with the Pats. Both are intelligent and are already well into their transition to the new team.

This is not to say Adalius Thomas won't make a smooth transition. As others have noted, he's going to be playing one of the more complex positions with many wrinkles. He's intelligent and experienced. Some of this must come during TC and preseason games, though, as his role will be adjusted from game to game depending on the opponent.

Rookies
Meriweather will transition onto this team very nicely, and, if he remains healthy, will be a major contributor during the season. The kid can play and is an extremely intelligent player. Coupled with the DB Phd. in residence, Dr. Harrison, he'll be tutored in the right way.

I think offensively I agree with Brady, but I won't count him bc he's more of a role player.

As far as impact on offense, I think Welker, simply bc as a WR he's going to be asked to do similar things to what he was doing in Miami. Plus, returning kicks is pretty translatable across any team.

I'm wary of the Moss/Stallworth/Washington impact simply bc we've all seen other WRs (Hayes, Garbriel, Terrel) have no ability at all to successfully pick up the offense.

Again, Welker I don't think will have this problem as his type of game at WR is what the Pats already run.

also I dont believe He will be asked to Rush the QB as much as he did in Baltimore..I think his coverage abilities will be utilized more often.

I second that. Why? Because we need someone to take away opponents tight ends ala AFCGC. The Colts second and third sting TE's took advantage of the depleted depth at LB's the Pats had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back