Welcome to PatsFans.com

New Paper Destroys Mann Hockey Stick

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Aug 17, 2010.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

So McIntyre and McKittrick First did an analysis of the Mann Hickey stick and showed that a random data set would produce the same data later Weg man di some confirmation. They were hampered by the CRU folks and Mann holding onto their data sets.

Now McShane & Wyner have a paper to be published in the nexxt issue of the Annals of Applied Stastistics.

Good overview by Anthony Watts and his crew:

BREAKING: New paper makes a hockey sticky wicket of Mann et al 98/99/08 | Watts Up With That?

Much more at the link.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,348 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Re: New Paper Destroys Mann Hickey Stick

Hickey stick?

Hockey players love their sticks but now they give them hickeys ...

What's up with that .... :confused2:

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +517 / 14 / -28

"Watts up with that" is a surefire and reliable source of news...

Spell check can be a very good friend..

4. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

I don't understand why we are still discussing these proven lies. We need to let them just go away. What happened to the Cap and Tax bill anyway? Oh, chicken Dems tabled it for political reasons. So much for standing up for what you believe in.(even if your totally wrong)

5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

That's what I get for posting after midnight waht a moron! :singing:

As to Anthony's excellent site. They are referencing a paper that is being published in the lelading stastistics journal. I suppose attacking the site will do since the paper and jornal are beyond your ability to challenge.

MAybe HuffPo will do an analysis you will agree with.

6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +517 / 14 / -28

Sounds like Bob and Ted's e"xcellent "adventure.. the only reason it is excellent is that it agrees with your pov..

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

Are you disputing the findings of the paper that Mann's analysis is stastistically plawed?

If so why?

8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You just really can't help yourself but continually demonstrate your own ignorance, can you? :rofl: :rofl:

9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +517 / 14 / -28

Thanks for paying so close attention, and adding to the thread.. perhaps in your world blogs give factual information, but for most of us we turn to more reliable sources.. you input is how do you say, underwhelming...

Nothing to see here, hickey stock.. PF 13 edited the title if you really need to know..

10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The guy who's only response consists of being a spelling nazi accuses me of not contributing anything of substance?

Heh heh... maybe someday you'll be smart enough to understand the irony in that statement.

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +517 / 14 / -28

Perhaps it is ok to mispell hockey in the title of a thread based on a blog, but many of us strive for excellence in spelling... or at least in the title of the thread..

For PF 13 it happens in just about every thread..

Thanks for watching over me, I missed you..

The substance you added to this thread is noted.. nice job, you contribution is underwhelming..

12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And many of us don't give a crap about poor spelling in an informal setting such as this one. We know that the content is far more important than any silly typos - which we all make.

But being a spelling nazi is the last grasp of the pathetic and the desperate, so I am not surprised that is all you have.
    This individual actually felt the need to lecture others about spelling errors, and then concludes the very same post WITH A SPELLING ERROR OF HIS OWN!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thank you for once again making a fool of yourself, Darryl! Or should that be of "youself"...? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

13. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +347 / 12 / -11

Probably need to see a serious response before the paper is meaningful to most of us. So far, those who believe in MMGW have done a good job rebutting the nonsense of the right. At least this particular story doesn't involve hacked emails presented out of context or the ludicrous Lord Monckton, one of the heroes of the skeptics, who seems to make things up:

RealClimate: Monckton makes it up

But, it's so typical of the right-wing to latch on to anything that supports the polluters without even awaiting a serious discussion. It's just another example of politicization of science by the righties. I would expect serious scientists to evaluate the paper and take it under honest consideration. I myself have studied statistics, and the argument in the paper is certainly not one for the layman. Besides, as the authors of this paper acknowledge, "paleoclimatoligical reconstructions constitute only one source of evidence in the AGW debate."

If that journal is a good journal, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, then we're likely to see a well-reasoned response from those who believe in MMGW. After all, most of this debate involves people who seek the truth, rather than those cheapskates who believe their children's future is not worth the economic cost of clean air.

14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

I am a terrible typist and don't spell check enough.

I do tend to focus on substance over style so sue me.

15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

Wonder if any of the "climate scientist" have the background to respond in writing to the journal. My guess the only response will be in the echo chamber that is RealClimate.

Now as to their big revelation about Mockton, (did you check the link Patters? I did) gett they claim he made up data, well he went to the IPCC report and copied a few graphs, see Mockton called them IPCC 'predictions' of course the IPCC authors who frequent RealClimate point out....... now wait.....the horror they weren't 'predictions' no no they were :emission scenarios" well what a misleading shock, only thing is when the emission scenarios are presented in the IPCC report they look a lot like predictions.

Talk about trying to count the number of angels on the head of a tiny pin......If this is the best they can do Patters they should just give up.

BTW the RC crew seem to ignore that Al Gore has less of a science background thant Mockton , unless you count Al inventing the internet.

16. Patters

Ratings:
    +347 / 12 / -11

While Gore has been good for the global warming debate, he's really just a spokesperson. I think Monckton has attempted to position himself more scientifically. Gore to my knowledge has been a global warming populist not a voice for hard science. As far as the point made by the article I posted, it wasn't linguistic, it was about his misuse of data to draw wrong conclusions. And there is a problem when he calls "hypotheses" "predictions." I know you understand why.

At any rate, I could probably post good scientific articles on a weekly or at least monthly basis regarding evidence supporting global warming, but it's really not worth discussing unless there is a response. Given that other challenges against the hockey stick have been met quite well, now we have to wait and see what the response is to this paper.

17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

Mockton has never said he was a scientist indeed he has challenged Gor to debates on the basis on not being a scientist.

BTW this analysis is based on having the data sets from CRU that were withheld prior to climategate.

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +347 / 12 / -11

Monckton has generally been far more technical than Gore, at least that's my impression. I would say that Inhofe has been more the Gore of the right in terms of climate change.

19. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What's especially hilarious is Darryl's false air of invulnerability because he uses a spellchecker. But a spellchecker ain't going to help him when he makes a mistake like "you contribution is underwhelming."

Now, normally I would never mock somebody for making a silly mistake - Lord knows I make plenty of my own all the time. But when that somebody is getting all self righteous pointing out the errors that other people make, trying to establish some sort of faux intellectual superiority, then caps that post with a careless mistake of his own? Well, yeah... I find that very much worth mocking. :rocker: :rocker:

20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +517 / 14 / -28

You sound so silly, but thanks for stalking..