Status
Not open for further replies.
New update (april 18)

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

1-24: Brandon Meriweather, S
1-28: Lawrence Timmons, LB
3-91: Lorenzo Booker, RB

Not terrible, but not great either.

I would suspect that if Beason was off the board Meriweather could certainly be the pick, but I would see that being followed by a trade down into the second to pick up Harris and address the ILB situation then just going and taking a OLB.

Booker, eh, I would prefer a corner at this point. If you are going to get a safety in round 1 I would like a corner in round three, if you get a corner in round 1 I want a safety in round three. An ILB somewhere with that 3rd pick.

I think Timmons would play ILB in Pats system. Btw, Beason went to Panthers in the mock.

I would suspect that if Beason was off the board Meriweather could certainly be the pick, but I would see that being followed by a trade down into the second to pick up Harris and address the ILB situation then just going and taking a OLB.

Booker, eh, I would prefer a corner at this point. If you are going to get a safety in round 1 I would like a corner in round three, if you get a corner in round 1 I want a safety in round three. An ILB somewhere with that 3rd pick.

its a very good mock imo

Meriweather - playmaking safety we need..fast, aggresive, a leader.

Timmons - a fast LB who can rush passer and cover. Hits hard..i would prefer Beason but Timmons is better than Poz so im happy

Booker - i too would prefer a CB here but it seems like most of the good CBs on his mock are gone so we cna wait till 4th i guess :\ but Booker is a nice pick

Meriweather plays Safety & Corner. He held Calvin Johnson to 68 yards, and went four games without giving up a reception.

I actually think that is the first three picks I gave them in either my first mock, or my second. I've gone away from Timmons since the signing of AD, and I'm not sure about Timmons at WILB, maybe. I also don't think he last that long, anymore. I had them taking Meriweather before (still like him a lot, but I'm not sure they'd pick him), and I still think Booker could be the pick in the third round.

Really, if we are just going by talent and playing style Meriweather is the perfect fit for NE's defense.

Here's the pick comments:
On the Meriweather pick:
"One thing Scott Pioli and Bill Belichick do better than anyone else is find players who fit what the franchise is looking for not only on the field but off it as well. In fact, they aren't afraid to go against the grain, defy convention and maybe even take players a little earlier than expected if they have a conviction and that could be the case with Brandon Meriweather. Based on pure talent Meriweather should be gone by this point but there are some character concerns that will probably push him down, however the Pats have such a strong system and core group of leaders in place that they'd probably feel like they could handle him. A true playmaker and great all-around safety who can play not only the pass but the run as well, Meriweather could even slide over and play a little bit of corner and you know that versatility will be appreciated by Bill Belichick. New England is said to covet Jon Beason so if available he would likely be their guy but since that's not the case they might finally opt to address their secondary in the first round."

On the Timmons pick:
"For years now linebacker has been one of New England's greatest strengths and while they are basically set outside, especially with the signing of Adalius Thomas, there are some question marks inside with Tedy Bruschi now nearing the end of his career and little or no depth behind him and Mike Vrabel. Both Jon Beason and Paul Posluszny are possibilities with their earlier choice but Lawrence Timmons would be a fantastic value here and is probably too good to pass up. Timmons finally got a chance to start in 2006 and he definitely made the most of the opportunity. He is still extremely raw but all he really lacks is experience and eventually he could end up being even better than Ernie Sims. The Pats will be able to bring Timmons along slowly for a year or two and if developed properly he could end up being a major steal. A darkhorse to watch out for here is Brian Leonard because he is not only the type of versatile player that they look for on the field but he also has all of the top-notch intangibles the franchise looks for off it as well."

On the Booker pick:
"They need insurance behind Laurence Maroney and this guy would be a perfect compliment."

Last edited:
One thing I have been wondering about a Patriots LB is if a player has enough strength to take on a OG, does it really matter if he is up to the magical 250 number? I know that is a number that is just thrown out as a basis because that is how heavy our more successful LB are, but if a lighter player had as much power, would Belichick care how much he weighed?
I ask this because I think Timmons is an example of this. I feel he is extremely strong for his size, though I don't know his combine reps. My best friend from high school is now a walk-on LB at FSU and he said that Timmons is the biggest hitter on the team, even harder than Ernie Sims was. Harder to go up against he said. Timmons is also a deamon on ST. He is really light, but I think his skills could offset that.

One thing I have been wondering about a Patriots LB is if a player has enough strength to take on a OG, does it really matter if he is up to the magical 250 number? I know that is a number that is just thrown out as a basis because that is how heavy our more successful LB are, but if a lighter player had as much power, would Belichick care how much he weighed?
I ask this because I think Timmons is an example of this. I feel he is extremely strong for his size, though I don't know his combine reps. My best friend from high school is now a walk-on LB at FSU and he said that Timmons is the biggest hitter on the team, even harder than Ernie Sims was. Harder to go up against he said. Timmons is also a deamon on ST. He is really light, but I think his skills could offset that.
Good info on Timmons from your Buddy who is the walk-on. Better info than Kiper can BS about IMO. Wasn't sure about Timmons before.
DW Toys

I think Timmons would play ILB in Pats system. Btw, Beason went to Panthers in the mock.

I noticed, which is why I am perfectly happy with the Merriweather pick, with Beason gone, going safety is a fine move. Merriweather, Griffin or Nelson, all quality pick-ups at 24.

But I would still trade down with the 28th pick. Trade down with a Atlanta, Oakland, Clevland or Detriot. If the the BPA is Staley or Blaylock trade down with one fo these teams that really needs some O-line help and did not take Thomas. Atlanta being my pick to take the trade, a second rounder this year and a second next, taking the picks they got for Schaub, then taking Harris at the top of the second.

Timmons put up 25 reps of 225, which is a pretty good number. Timmons scored a 70.03 on the Power/Explosion test, which is good.

Yowza, the first two are fine but after trading our #2 I don't see us using our only non first round first day pick on a Punter.

Yowza, the first two are fine but after trading our #2 I don't see us using our only non first round first day pick on a Punter.
Lets see If we didn't lose Todd that would have made five punters and we can start a Basket Ball team. Amen, Absolutely no way on a day one punter. Where the hell did we rank in punting in the NFL? Anyone knwo? Were we that bad?
DW Toys

im hating the punter

I like Sepulveda, just not in the third round

I like Sepulveda, just not in the third round

If BB wants him anytime after the second, I'm down with it. :) [Can't see him going to the Pats in the third, though, as I suspect there are much better values available then.]

That's a bit early for the punter but what do I know.

Well at least we are no longer picking Leanord in the First round.

But I would certainly take the first 2 picks and be happy.

Seriously I'd take a QB in the 3rd before I'd take a punter. That said I wouldn't have a problem if they took him at pick #127 of the 4th round.

Over the weekend Rob Range (Sports XChange) was saying he doesn't really try to match players with teams, but to get his top 32 players somewhere in the first round.

That way he can say "I correctly picked 28 out of the 32 players that went in the first round", but to me that's the easy way out. Also, Range didn't have as much success when he was trying to match players with teams, once he switched over to the method above his success rate shot up. He currently has the highest success rate when it comes to his top players going in the first round, but I don't know how successful he actually has been at matching players with teams.

I say this so fans will realize just because they have someone going to your team doesn't mean they actually think your team will pick that player, just that he'll probably go somewhere around that pick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back