PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Mindset On Patriots Is Amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been blessed MORE than any franchise deserves to be blessed, so let's hold onto these "Good 'Ol Days" while they last and never take anything for granted.

If you're an all around New England sports fan, you have to admit, we are living in a "too good to be true" period. If anyone ever told me ten years ago all this would happen, I'd ask them for some of whatever they were taking!;)

I totally agree! I keep waiting to wake up and realize it was all a beautiful dream.

Let me interject something right here.

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about the history of the Boston Celtics, though I didn't follow them until 1972. That means that I missed, and was too young to remember, the entire eras of Bill Russell and Bob Cousy. Nevertheless, the body of work of those two men I find simply FASCINATING! I read as much as I can about those two, especially Russell, who has to be the greatest champion in pro sports history. I worked with a teacher out here in California who was on the 1956 Olympic team with Russell and knew him personally (this teacher was track and field, not hoop). Even though I did not follow the Celtics closely during that era, reading about it and knowing about the heritage of the Celtics brings me closer to the team and to that time period.

I call upon you young people out there to be proud of your team, but also to read up on the entire history of the team, so that you too will be even more proud of the team you root for. There is no sin in not being born yet to have experienced some of the low moments in Patriot history. Just read some books (unfortunately, there aren't that many out there) and articles and you will gain a much better understanding.

And do not apologize for being young! Many of us wish we could be 20-somethings again!

Bob G

Agree completely, which I have. I've studied this whole franchise from the 60's at least, mainly around the time they became the New England Patriots. I've brushed up on a lot of my Pats/sox history

Agree completely, which I have. I've studied this whole franchise from the 60's at least, mainly around the time they became the New England Patriots. I've brushed up on a lot of my Pats/sox history

Study some more. They were never the New England Patriots in the 60s.

Great article. Brought back good memories of my dad and me catching a few games at Schaefer. He would be amazed if he was here to witness what a dynasty this team has become.
I now have an 18yo daughter and 15yo son and both are diehard Pats fans, despite never having lived in MA. I've printed the article out for both to read so they can get a better appreciation for what's happening.

We should be embracing and educating young, new fans, not ridiculing them.

Great article. Brought back good memories of my dad and me catching a few games at Schaefer. He would be amazed if he was here to witness what a dynasty this team has become.
I now have an 18yo daughter and 15yo son and both are diehard Pats fans, despite never having lived in MA. I've printed the article out for both to read so they can get a better appreciation for what's happening.

We should be embracing and educating young, new fans, not ridiculing them.

My dad and I went to Schaefer a lot in the 1970s. He died in 2000 just before all this prosperity hit. It would have been nice if he could have at least seen SB XXXVI.

Bob G

The Philadelphia Patriots?

As of November 11, 1959 There was no AFL team in Boston and according to Bill Cunningham of the Herald,

"I couldn't avoid knowing he (Sullivan) was on the long distance telephone practically all day Sunday.

That was after the story in Sunday's papers that Philadelphia, not Boston, had the inside track for the new league's eighth franchise.

It further said Bob Carpenter, the Phils baseball magnate, would announce his new connection with football at a press conference called for 10 O'Clock Monday morning. You'll notice he didn't."

We finally had a team that stuck around, unlike the Redskins, Yankees and Shamrocks.

Many thanks to Annihilus from the Planet and his fantastic Historical archives.

http://www.patriotsplanet.net/html/History/NewspaperScans/1960s/1960-BDR.htm

I almost wish it wasn't, but this is the category I fit into:

To all of you whose memory of the Patriots only goes back as far as a near-fumble caused by Charles Woodson, you need to go to school. Patriot school. All you know is greatness. All you know is that your team is (ho-hum) driving towards another (yawn) Super Bowl and is on the verge of (zzzzzzz) a 16-0 regular season. All you know is the Patriots have the best owner, coach, quarterback, stadium, and the most Vinces since Y2K. You look at Patriot Place being built and probably think that this team is all about tradition, entitlement and all that is superlative.

I am 23 (born in 1984). My earliest memories are Drew Bledsoe. I cannot tell you who started QB before him.

I'm in my 50's and the first Pats game I ever saw was in Fenway Park in 1966 against the Bills.Jack Kemp was QB for the Bills later a US Senator.Pats won 14-7.Jim Nance scored a TD.They were bottom feeders for the next 30 years.
They are now thee franchise in all of sports...its amazing.

That's GREAT!!!!!
Hey, any fan who remembers the '80, and we are till here,
TOUGH to be a Pats fan then, but hey:singing:

Bob...just another great post...what can I say?...that Sullivan story brings back memories...like the headaches from that rancid Schaeffer beer

I almost wish it wasn't, but this is the category I fit into:

I am 23 (born in 1984). My earliest memories are Drew Bledsoe. I cannot tell you who started QB before him.

Buddy...I'm 52 and remember most of that stuff. I'd love to be 23 again. They were some of the best years of my life. Enjoy yourself, take nothing for granted and remember everything.

... When you look at someone like Bledsoe (a name you can put a face to), you probably giggle and say I can't believe he was our QB once given his ineptness his last 3-4 years. Well, many of us remember a time when he represented something to this team that will NEVER be forgotten. HOPE.

I still remember thinking he'd be the answer to my prayers. He never was, but he got me believing we could again.

In many respects, Bledsoe is to the Patriots as Pedro was to the Red Sox. Both were instant superstars who brought the air of respectability and a winning atmosphere with them, and gave free agents a reason to sign with our team. Just as Manny, Ortiz, and Schilling probably don't sign with the Sox without the Pedro and Nomar show already in full swing, so were the Pats graced with Belichick and many others once we had Kraft and Bledsoe in place.

I'm not old enough to remember the pre-Bledsoe era either, but I know enough to know he was the "Start of it all" for the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back