PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Look Red Sox - Pitching and Defense... not as much Offense

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
OK I get it - overall this offseason the Red Sox have declined to overpay for free agents, and have even jettisoned a big alabatros contract, and used that to replace their center fielder.

They've also done a good job of not caving to public pressure and trading some pretty good pitching prospects

But what are we left with? An improved team? That's a big IF - and is one that might not have an answer this year as much depends on whether the prospects pan out.

Its possible this could be a lost season for the Sox, with the Blue Jays and Yankees looking stronger than the Sox.

While I hope that Defense and Pitching can make up for it, what fan isn't a tiny bit alarmed about what looks like a potentially anemic offense.

Is Crisp an upgrade over Damon at the plate? I'd say no.

Is Gonsalves/Cora an upgrade over Rentaria? In terms of salary and defense yes, but they both drop .025 points in BA.

Is Lowell an upgrade over Mueller at 3rd? Call it a wash because we don't know if Lowell is healthy enough to swing a bat or throw to first at this point - but probably not an upgrade.

Is Loretta an improvement over Tony Graffanino? I'd say its a wash to no.

Is Youkilis/Snow an upgrade over Millar? I'd be inclined to say yes, but who knows what Millar's clubhouse presence was worth to Manny's average.

Of course, we've still got Manny and Ortiz, assuming they don't do something stupid like trading Manny (I don't care how much they overpaid for him - we have him and he produces)

But overall while I think our defense got better, and our prospects are a year older, our offensive production will drop this year when if anything I would have wanted it to get better.

We'd better hope our pitchers all return to form or it could be a short season.

I'm not in the least bit worried about the offense. I think the only question mark there is Lowell. I believe Crisp will be an upgrade over Damon (2005: 119 OPS+ vs. 113, while Crisp is trending up, while Damon has plateaued/may be trending down). I think Loretta is undoubtedly an upgrade over Graffanino and Bellhorn, who played much of the year at 2b. Youks/Snow will absolutely be better than Millar last year, assuming Tito doesn't decide to start JT regularly. A-Gon's bat will be lighter than Edgar's, but his Fenway projections look good, and his glove should make up the difference. Negatively, I don't think Trot will produce much out of right, and I expect Tek to regress a bit.

I think the biggest question marks are on pitching, with Foulke and Schilling. If neither of them can return remotely to form, then we may be in trouble. Though our bullpen is incredibly deep (though I'd sort of like a lefty over the potential Dinardo, but no, I didn't want Myers back), and, as it stands, so is our starting pitching. I expect Clement to improve, if not traded. I think Papelbon will be great, if he's allowed to start. I expect Beckett to be the ace, and Arroyo to turn in another solid year. If the Fat Man stays, I may be slightly worried. I think he can be a good #3 guy, but his heart has to be in it. Wake should be the same. Obviously, someone has to go, and will hopefully bring back an improvement to our thin bench or RF (Austin Kearns, please...).

Overall, I expect the offense to be slightly less, if not equal, to '05. But the pitching and defense is a marked improvement. I don't think either Toronto or New York is better.

Last edited:
are those your opionions or are you copying baseball prospectus again.lol lol lol :rolleyes:

I'm still going to wear my hat, even if they are in last place. :)

patriotspride said:
are those your opionions or are you copying baseball prospectus again.lol lol lol :rolleyes:
Your attempts at baiting are sad. I'm sorry you can't actually contribute to the conversation.

Johnny Mac said:
Your attempts at baiting are sad. I'm sorry you can't actually contribute to the conversation.
im sorry you cant respond to a simple question.

Right, sure thing. Here you go: Yes, it was my opinion. And nothing I've posted other than statistics has come from any other site. It's a shame this is too much for you to comprehend.

You shouldn't bother to respond. Your immature trolling has become tiresome, so I've added you to my ignore list.

I really think the BoSox are in trouble this years. Too many spare parts. Who is the Full-time 1B,3b,CF? The starting pithcing scares me, the bullpen frightens me and the hitting except for Manny & Ortiz is light. They dump Marte for Crisp. Leaving Lowell at 3B. It's going to be a long year. The East will go as follows.:

1)Yankees
2) Blue Jays
3) RedSox
4) Devil rays
5) Orioles

Bank it.

i dont think so dude .our defense is much improved and coco crisp is hardly a spare part and anything at first is a big improvment over cowboy up and our spare 1baseman has a gold glove .the sox will win 90 somthing games you can take that to the bank and deposit .

Last edited:
WhiteSoxfan said:
Who is the Full-time 1B,3b,CF?
Youkilis, Lowell, and Crisp.

what

WhiteSoxfan said:
I really think the BoSox are in trouble this years. Too many spare parts. Who is the Full-time 1B,3b,CF? The starting pithcing scares me, the bullpen frightens me and the hitting except for Manny & Ortiz is light. They dump Marte for Crisp. Leaving Lowell at 3B. It's going to be a long year. The East will go as follows.:

1)Yankees
2) Blue Jays
3) RedSox
4) Devil rays
5) Orioles

Bank it.

Bank it? Pretty ****y there guy. Let's not take anything away from the pale ho's: they are defending champion and look better this year than last, but to say bank it is premature------------it's february! The jays will collapse and the yankers pitching is shoddy at best:::::we will see what happens come late august and september!

patriotspride said:
i dont think so dude .our defense is much improved and coco crisp is hardly a spare part and anything at first is a big improvment over cowboy up and our spare 1baseman has a gold glove .the sox will win 90 somthing games you can take that to the bank and deposit .

I have every confidence that Crisp will turn into a marquee player - but not necessarilly next season. Regardless, it was a good trade for both teams and Crisp is reasonably priced for the next few seasons.

So with an improved defense and a offense based largely on Manny and Ortiz, next season will be decided on how our pitching staff answers all the "IFs".

I'd bank on nothing - it wouldn't surprise me to see the Sox in first place or third. There's no telling with baseball.

Johnny Mac said:
Youkilis, Lowell, and Crisp.

Like I said, your team is knee deep in it. Don't forget J.T. Snow (of course when he's not on the DL)

Will Mike Lowell hit his weight? (Only if he starts Jenny Craig today)

Crisp (hahahahahahahahahah)

And what do you find so hilarious about Crisp?

WhiteSoxfan said:
Like I said, your team is knee deep in it. Don't forget J.T. Snow (of course when he's not on the DL)

jt snow is the back up 1st baseman .mike lowell is a gold glove third baseman whos offensive numbers will only go up at fenway hitting in our line up.since when is mike lowell fat ?what the hell are you talking about.coco crisps offensive numbers are almost the exact same as damons .crisp hit 6 more hrs than damon and has a better arm than damon .

what

WhiteSoxfan said:

Please explain yourself! I wish we still had billy mueller, but lowell is a gold glover, and should hit like mueller did last year if he continues his trend---but the upside is he could have a breakout year at the fens (he is very capable of that). Youk will at least give us the bat of Millar, with better D! The one thing we lose at 1st is that clubhouse leadership of Millar that I think was a big intangible----but on the field we are better! Crisp is pretty much a wash with Damon, I half expect him to have a better year than JD.

So exactly how are we Knee deep in it?

What I am saying is that the BoSox have too many question marks. Lowell has been a bust for the past 2+years. Sure his numbers will improve but how much? Provided he can keep healthy. Let's not forget when the Marlins beat the Cubs in the NLCS the Marlins had to find a place for Lowell to play. There is not much offensive upside to A. Gonzalez at short. Mark Loretta at 2b? I think they'd have been better off with Graffanino as a FT 2b. First base by comittee please. I am encouraged to see Trot Nixon get the oppurtunity to play everyday. Likewise the usual "studs" will do as well also. Manny, Ortiz, Viratek. Finally the pitching is suspect. All I am saying is don't get your hopes up too high, there are better teams out there.

WhiteSoxfan said:
What I am saying is that the BoSox have too many question marks. Lowell has been a bust for the past 2+years. Sure his numbers will improve but how much? Provided he can keep healthy. Let's not forget when the Marlins beat the Cubs in the NLCS the Marlins had to find a place for Lowell to play. There is not much offensive upside to A. Gonzalez at short. Mark Loretta at 2b? I think they'd have been better off with Graffanino as a FT 2b. First base by comittee please. I am encouraged to see Trot Nixon get the oppurtunity to play everyday. Likewise the usual "studs" will do as well also. Manny, Ortiz, Viratek. Finally the pitching is suspect. All I am saying is don't get your hopes up too high, there are better teams out there.
they still have grafanino.1st base is not by commitee youk is the starter jt snow is the late innning defensive replacement who will get some at bats against righties.either way they are both much better than kevin millar .as for the pitching they have schilling beckett wakefield arroyo wells papellbon and small balls clement .clement is the only stiff in the bunch .ill take those guys over the yankees rotation any day of the week.the bullpen is deep and much improved .as far as better teams we will see .

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back