Welcome to PatsFans.com

New Interrogation Unit

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Stokes, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Obama admin is opening a new unit under executive control that will abide by the army field manual.

Obama spokesman announces interrogation unit - Boston.com

Now, anyone else see a problem with a unit that reports only to the executive (no details in the article about reporting to Congress that I saw though that may come out later)? Any questions about when the field manual would be scrapped in favor of harsher techniques? We know Panetta had agreed with the logic of the "ticking time bomb" argument, do we know what Obama has said on that type of scenario? If he believes there are times we might need to operate outside of the field manual he's essentially set up an unit that could do so without being answerable to anyone but him. If Congress has oversight of the unit I will feel more comfortable with it.
  2. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I'm sure all the people who were outraged about Bush's secrecy and back-room dealings will be livid and make snarky comments about it in their hip blogs...

or not.

He is consistent though; aren't all these czars he's appointing only answerable to him? Doesn't seem very transparent to me, but I might be missing something.
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

The only thing you're missing is the transparency.