PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Injured Reserve Scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a good point. I think he addressed that with this...

-Once the two weeks have passed, the player must pass a physical. The physical must be signed off by the team physician and the player.

Still, your question is a good one.

sdfan

Try getting this past the union..... No ******* way! Propose it and their will be a strike. Bigger issue than the salary cap. Because in every other case a player has the right to have a second physical by and independent doctor. Because the team doctor will clear anybody that the coach tells him to.

If the guy is injured, he shouldn't be practicing. It is dangerous.
LIFE is dangerous.

I really hope all of the violations have been of healthy people practicing but being called IR for the purposes of illegally expanding the practice squad.

Hence the suggestion that the team physician and the player has to sign the physical and it has to be submitted to the league.

Also, we are talking about people who were placed on IR for injuries that don't need 16 weeks to heal, but require more than 3 or 4 to recover from. Rosters are so limited that a team can't afford to carry an injured player for more than 3 or 4 weeks without replacing them.

Because forcing an injured player to practice who should be in rehab, is seriously unethical. And I am not talking about breaking rules of a game, I am talking about abusive of the players safety health and well being.

Nobody is talking about forcing an injured player to practice. Do you claim the sky is falling much?

I support BB on most issues. But I back Ted Johnson when it comes to the safety of players.

Ted Johnson? Give me a break. He could have chosen not to practice as is his right under his contract. Instead, he walked out on the team, missed practices (which he could have been riding the stationary bike or reviewing film) and was benched.

Also, since the whole Ted Johnson incident, one in which BB said he made a mistake, the team has treated most injuries with kids gloves. Much to the chagrin of many of the fans on this board.

He did not say teams all over the leagues are breaking the rules. He said that violations have been handled with a fine. Could have been one or two teams.

But even if many teams are breaking the rule doesn't mean the rule needs to be changed, maybe enforcement needs to be more diligent, and punishment more severe. If NFL officials did spot inspections, and a violation meant loss of a day one draft pick instead of a fine, the rule would be followed.

Maybe your solution to the prevalent problem of drunk driving or date rape is to change the law so those activities are not illegal?

In YOUR world, the rules are always RIGHT and don't need to be updated. Just make the punishment harsher and that will stop everything. Guess what. It doesn't work like that. LIFE doesn't work like that.

Also, you two examples aren't even close to being friggin analogous to the situation. But, How the hell would you know. Instead of stepping back and looking at the problem, you wear friggin a blindfold with your fingers in your hears going NAH NAH NAH.. There's no problem.

Just because you refuse to acknowledge the problem doesn't mean its not there.

Try getting this past the union..... No ******* way! Propose it and their will be a strike. Bigger issue than the salary cap. Because in every other case a player has the right to have a second physical by and independent doctor. Because the team doctor will clear anybody that the coach tells him to.

Wow. Please continue to show everyone your ignorance. Please show me where I said that the Player couldn't get a second physical by an independent doctor? Hell, I said that it wasn't perfect and I thought there were some holes that I missed. But instead of offering up constructive criticism, you've acted like a total jackass. Good job.

BTW, I bet you that the proposal would meet with very strong support considering that it could add up to 4 rosters spots per team and allow players to return to playing in the same year they were injured if they were physically able to. Something that can't be done now, under current rules.

Also, since you haven't been following the league worth a damn the last year, team doctors aren't just clearing anyone that the coach tells him to clear. Especially with concussions. They can't. They've implemented new rules about it for player safety.

Last edited:
Do you think teams would pressure young players to 'practice' even though they are injured? How do you really protect a 4th round draft choice who has an unfortunate injury in the preseason or camp and is now being pressured to practice though he may not really be ready?

The player would have to pass a physical to be able to practice. Whether that physical was by the Team physician or an independent doctor. He couldn't just return to practice.

Also, this isn't your father's NFL anymore where guys tried to play through injuries and concussions. Teams are being a lot more careful regarding players returning to the playing field much to the chagrin of the fans who want to see these players playing. And PLAYERS are being more careful about returning to the field too early because they don't want to jeopardize their physical well being in the future.

Healthy enough to practice, but not healthy enough to play......

WWWWWWHHHHHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTTT??????? I think you have that ass-backwards

How often do we hear about injured players forgoing practice so they can rehab to play on Sunday?

If you are not healthy enough to play, you are not healthy enough to practice and should be in the rehab room.

Instead of stepping back and looking at the problem, you wear friggin a blindfold with your fingers in your hears going NAH NAH NAH.. There's no problem.

No you take of your friggin homer glasses. Just because BB breaks a rule doesn't mean the rule needs to be changed.

If he get pulled over for doing 85 MPH through school zone are you going to be arguing that the speed limit is too low.

I think there is a basic problem here that needs to be addressed. That is, there is no middle alternative for an injured player. Presently, an injured player stays on the roster or goes IR for the season. PUP now only applies to pre-training camp injuries but does permit return to the roster well into the season. If the rules for the PUP were changed to permit an injured player to be so assigned at anytime during the season and to be elgible for activation/return after 8 weeks(half season) then I believe many of these IR practicing issues would go away, injured players would not be kept on the active roster based on a future return to duty(and may be rushed before they're ready), and it would provide an opportunity for practice squad players to be part of the active roster.

So what this proposal does is provide three ways to addressed injured players: 1) For short term sprains, bruises, etc., the player stays on the active roster; 2) For medium-to-serious injuries that usually require up to 2 months to fully heal, the player would be put on the PUP and be elgible to return 8 weeks later. This could be very significant for a team who loses a key player in preseason or early in the regular season; and 3) For the really serious injuries(those requiring surgery and/or long rehabilitation), then IR is the only appropriate choice. If a player on PUP cannot be returned physically to active duty, then he should go on IR as well.

Having a PUP as an option during the season would be consistent with how other sports address injuries. I don't think the NFL really has a basis for being out of step. And I think the player's union would strongly endorse it.

Oh sure, let's change every rule that the Pats are accused of breaking. I'm sure you would have been thinking of this if the IR allegations never came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back