Welcome to PatsFans.com

New Forum Moderators

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PF1996, Mar 30, 2008.

1. PF1996

PF1996 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think now would be a good time to address the need to change the forum's moderators since Ian will probably be around due to the server upgrade. I'm sure the current moderators will object despite the fact that they are always whining about how "tough" it is to be a moderator. :rolleyes: I'm also sure that the righties will be opposed since the current application of "rules" is slanted to accomodate their behaviour (i.e. tossing insults, personal attacks and then whining when it's returned).

I believe we need new forum moderators because rules are being applied "subjectively", per Patters, rather than objectively and consistently. When a moderator claims that the object of comments like "scumbag traitor" enjoys being so called because said person didn't come running to whine about it, it's obvious that we have a problem. When a moderator responds to another poster's queries about how the "rules" are applied to him by stating "what the f*ck are you complaining about", it's obvious that we have a problem. When a moderator tells another poster to "quit whining and *****ing", it's obvious we have a problem. When a moderator wrecks a poster's thread to "teach a lesson" to said poster, we have a problem.

These are just a few recent instances of the abuse of power by the current moderators which is why I propose the following:

1. The election of 3 new moderators by moderators in the football forum who do not post in this forum

2. Persons hold the role of moderators on a temporary six month basis

3. Bans of more than a week need majority vote by moderators

4. Permanent bans (i.e. more than 6 months) be given by Ian only

5. All non permanent bans expire when new moderators are elected

6. That the rules of the forum be rewritten with clear examples so that consistent application of the rules will be enforced.​

Two posters whom I think would make excellent new moderators are PatFanVa and Pujo.

PatFanVA has demonstrated a preference for civility, even in his dealings with the righties as well as a preference for application of rules.

Pujo has demonstrated a desire to show his "objectivity" by randomly finding fault with anyone's opinion.

I tried to think of a pure righty for the third spot but all who post frequently have demonstrated their hypocrisy when it comes to the rules.

A tentative nominee for the third person could be Wistah. He's not a pure righty but has enough of their traits to make him acceptable.

Feel free to name your nominees.

2. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +136 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

i have offered to be a mod on this board several times to Ian and others but i have never gotten a reply...so i offer it again. I will be interested in being a mod

3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,022 / 44 / -31

#24 Jersey

I think FTW and Patters both do an excellant job and should keep their positions if they choose to do so. When the forum's posters can promise perfect behavior then and only then should they expect the moderators to be perfect (whatever perfect means :p ) all the time.

I think the moderators treat members with the same respect they are given ... when the mods are slammed with baby hissy fits ... I mean really, how do you respond to a baby that wants a binky.;)

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I love the term limit idea.
    Patters and FTW are decent moderators, but it would be good to have "CHANGE" in the political forum. Then, Patters and FTW could play like the other kids. Instead of being unbiased and objective, they can begin posting what they want to as biased and subjective as they want to...:rofl:

No offense to FTW of Patters. They do a good job and I appreciate their efforts, but I bet even they might enjoy a rest from being objective and unbiased.....:bricks:

BTW, I'd second Boxer as a candidate. He's pretty level-headed and he's from Wistah!

5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Thanks for the compliment, PF, but what the hell did I do to you? ;)
    I doubt I'd have the time or the temperment for the job. I've actually got a lot of things coming up this year and I will be on this board a lot less, unfortunately.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

Bullsh!t-----------:bricks:

Ted Williams & Patters:
    If they choose to remain leave them alone.

Praise Jesus

7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:yeahthat:

I agree with you, virtually on all counts.

When do I get my binky back??

:explative:

//

8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

What I'd like to know is how one defines 'a good job'?

To me this place is a train wreck and its only getting worse.

Every single serious conversation,

Every,

Single,

one,

gets schit on by people who just don't like the thread starter or post whores who will do anything to get the attention they need. That's just the serious conversations, which by the way are exceeded by the 'look at me' or the 'the other side sucks' threads by a factor of 3 or 4 at least.

Now I can point to specific examples of disastrous decisions made by this pair of moderators. Want an example? How 'bout the last 10 threads started by Free Ted Williams? He's 10 for 10 in threads designed to ridicule the other side or just pick a fight. Not one serious attempt at a dialog in the bunch. This is a person who's supposed to be a leader, who's supposed to set some kind of an example.

The only reason these two are moderators is because they got here first.

9. elway7

elway7 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Looks like someone needs a binky and a bottle!!

10. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Maybe some of us want to branch out a bit beyond: "Bush sucks. Bush should be executed. Bush and Cheney eat babies for breakfast. Bush, Cheney and anyone right of Billy White Shoes Clinton is a goddam nazi, reich wing, pos, full of shyt, ...." add your own epithet.

Maybe some would like to discuss some other avenues of cause and effect. Like the REAL ones.

Maybe.

Signed, "The Attention Whore"

Where the hell is Qui-Con, anyway???? Who drove him out???

//

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  11. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Apparently they never unbanned that name after they banned Obi-wan and then Luke because he had issues with Shmessy and Patters.

So once they banned "Luke" that was it, at least he said he wouldn't be back.

Not really sure why they banned Luke, since one of them told me they didn't care if he re-registered with a new name.

BTW--when you sign up for a message board, a lot of people tell you to post often. I've noticed that if you do that, you then get called "post whore" and told you have some "need for attention".

That's offensive.

People don't post, the board dies. People post and the board prospers.

12. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Ah-h, but you have to post the CORRECT material, or you are a nazi, reich wing, shyt-eating, neo-con!!! You didn't know??? Shame on you!!!

:rolleyes:

I wish Qui-Obi-Luke was back. I miss him.

//

13. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +457 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

The only reason they are moderators is that Ian appointed them. It's that simple.

Rather than posting this on a thread, you and others dissatisfied should email Ian with your request. I doubt if it gets you anywhere but it's better than starting and posting in a thread like this.

14. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Here we go again with "The Legend of NEM"

LMAO.

You go, boy, you go.

15. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't like chicken and I'd rather have a larger tax cut, please.

16. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Seriously, new moderators will help the conflicts in the political forum. In other news, Matt Cassell will be the starting qb next year for the NE Patriots.
    Thank you FTW and Patters for a thankless job.

17. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

I've never had a problem with FTW or Patters personally, and I don't feel as though they infringe on anyone's freedom of speech for political reasons, which is all you can ask from a mod on a political forum. I don't think you can start issuing infractions because you don't like someone's argument tactics. If they are lousy, point them out, and everyone can see that they are flawed.

Political forums are supposed to be train wrecks. You have a bunch of passionate, opinionated people saying things with brutal honesty (a phenomenon that doesn't take place in real life) about issues that are often very emotional. I don't really know what else you all want from the Mods. If they clamp down, that will snowball into a situation where people are silencing others that they disagree with, and one side is always retaliating against the other.

I don't think many blatant insults or personal attacks escape without an infraction. Also, people need to stop getting all up in arms if they feel they have been issued an infraction unjustly. Let it go, it means nothing. Unless you are going to get banned, an infraction has no effect on you, and from what I've seen the Mods are very fair and reluctant to ban people.

The only suggestion I do have is that there should be a sticky posted where every time an infraction is issued the Mod posts the post that caused the infraction and the reason why. This will keep everything honest and will stop people from complaining about infractions not being issued when they actually were.

18. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

why are people banned? what is this china?

19. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

What about NEM is moderator?

20. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

Nobody else deserved to be banned besides Obi Wan.