PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New football helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sivy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
My brother told me that there is some type of new slightly smaller football helmet with some shock obsorbing design that may make its way to the nfl soon. I guess some colleges are already using them. Tried google, cant find a pic or any info on them. Anyone know?

HELMETS1107.GIF

I think this may be what you are referring to.
Improved helmets a Plus

With the help of engineers and medical experts, he designed a helmet that relies on disc-shaped plastic shock absorbers placed inside the helmet shell instead of foam padding. On impact, the shock absorbers release air like tiny squeeze bottles to reduce the head's acceleration.

Ferrara said the Xenith helps prevent violent movements of the head during low and medium-impact collisions better than other helmets.
"When most people think about the concussions, they think about the guy who's knocked out cold," Ferrara said. "Those are a tiny fraction of the brain injuries that are taking place."

According to Ferrara, the repeated low-energy blows a fullback might encounter during practice every day affect the brain the way steady, repeated jabs affect a boxer. He said the constant jolting can have a cumulative, injurious effect on the brain.

Xenith.com

xenith-x1-smart-helmet.jpg

Last edited:
Such an improvement is long overdue. The dirty fact is that concussions are a real problem for player health and welfare. We saw Woods and Welker get clocked today and miss the rest of the game. No more BS of shaking it off and going back in; that's where the brean damage intensifies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes