PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Enlgand's next head coach..... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belichick fires Boyer as DB coach,signs Lou Saban as DB coach and keeps him on until Bill retires,then Saban takes over as HC :cool:

Any power college program Head Coach will do me just fine.

A big part of the big picture plan here was to create an organization that could develop and grow from within and sustain the system. That way everyone doesn't have to learn everything all over again.

Why would either Harbaugh be interested in Bill's job, they've got their own.

After bountygate I doubt Kraft would touch Payton with a ten foot pole.

I think Bill is here at least as long as Brady. A lot can happen in 5+ NFL seasons. Guys could be gone on the quest for broader experience and return when opportunity arises.

I don't think any promises were made or given where Josh is concerned. He was earmarked as a potential candidate early on. But so to was Mangini... Josh would either have to stay the course or move on to rousing success to be in the running as heir apparent. Cleveland isn't the kind of situation where that is likely to happen. Cleveland is in fact how you derail that level of career ambition.

Not to mention if you think following Vinatieri was a tough task, try following Brady or Belichick. The bar is ridiculously high. Making the job of being Bill's successor perhaps just a tad less coveted than fans might assume it to be. Probably easier to manage expectations from with.

when brady retires...in 5 years or so..BB will go with him

another good question...what will the pats offer brady in his next contact signing..of course he will want what manning got this year..and he will probably get it..he has too

Last edited:
I'll say this now: I know it wouldn't happen, but I'd love it, were the OC job to become available, for the Pats to bring in Mike Leach.

Kliff Kingsbury.

Belichick fires Boyer as DB coach,signs Lou Saban as DB coach and keeps him on until Bill retires,then Saban takes over as HC

I assume you mean Louis "Nick" Saban, not the deceased Lou Saban who used to coach the Bills...

Never understood why a very successful college coach who is deified on their campuses, would want to give up a handsome salary with great perks to go to the NFL.. in most occasions they inherit a mess.

Why move from a job which is demanding, to a job that is exponentially more demanding??.. he is making 4 million a year where he is.

Why not just stay where you are king, instead of going to an organization that is usually in disarray???

I assume you mean Louis "Nick" Saban, not the deceased Lou Saban who used to coach the Bills...

Never understood why a very successful college coach who is deified on their campuses, would want to give up a handsome salary with great perks to go to the NFL.. in most occasions they inherit a mess.

Why move from a job which is demanding, to a job that is exponentially more demanding??.. he is making 4 million a year where he is.

Why not just stay where you are king, instead of going to an organization that is usually in disarray???

You betcha!

GO 'BAMA! ROLL TIDE!

I think Saban learned that lesson and it continues to reverberate with him (and his family). I doubt he'd return for anything short of a storied franchise (although that didn't pan out last time) with storied ownership with a track record of letting the football people run the football ops. Let alone Cleveland... He knows his next shot will likely be his last. Ditto Josh.

NE would be an ideal setting for him in most respects. Even the fans and media are preconditioned to be treated like potential enemies. Although I'm not sure that ego wants to follow a GOAT HC his success is already loosely connected to who has set a ridiculous bar in his tenure. And he realizes that the huge difference remains the relative ease with which he can recruit whomever he wants vs. being potentially somewhat hamstrung by a draft and cap and ownership system at the NFL level. He now claims he was prepared to sign Brees but the medicals got him over ruled.

A guy like Ferentz might be more interested if the time comes when he wants to leave the college ranks. He was Plan A for Pioli only he bailed on their long discussed plans and opted to remain in college to coach his kids. Schiano might be another candidate, although he'd probably have to come in here as an asst. HC for a season or two to assimilate into the existing schemes prior to assuming the mantle.

I think strategically the Kraft's likely have a short list of candidates they keep an eye on just in case and update annually. But I don't think they are close to fine tuning that list. While Bill refuses to speak to matter of his future plans with us beyond reiterating annually that he still loves what he is doing, I'm sure he and Kraft have discussed the matter and have an agreement in place that will allow for a smoother transition than most. Kraft will likely get a heads up at the first sign of doubt that he wants to keep going indefinitely. I think they will get the same kind of honesty and courtesy from Brady. And I think they will trust that in both cases because they know neither of these two is wired to hang on past that point at the risk of damaging their legacy or hurting their team and the organization.

For the coach who follows Bellichick, being the Patriots HC, will simultaneously be the best job in the league and the worst. The best in respects to the organization, support, and winning culture. The worst, in that you will have the impossible task of following a living icon, which by definition is unfair.

What we know for certain is that when that day finally comes, the next coach will either come from within, or be someone who formerly had a long term connection to the team. BB has established the "Patriot Way", when he goes he will be replaced by someone who is intimately familiar with what that means.

Initially I felt it would be McDaniel for sure. But the more I think about it, the more I see BB staying long term. As long as he is physically or mentally able, BB will want to coach. He LOVES it. There is no place he'd rather be than at a football practice individually coaching players. There's no burn out for him. He isn't looking forward to some media gig, golf and fishing. He's like Bear Bryant. He'll keep coaching till they force him from the field, and then die within a year.

No I think he'll be here too long for Josh to be a reasonable candidate. Josh would stay 4-5 years if he thought he'd be Bill's replacement. But I see Bill staying longer than that, and if that's true, McDaniel will eventually leave for his shot.

1. The Saban to NE rumors are simply ridiculous. Beyond all the other common sense reasons that would never happen, Saban is a year OLDER than BB. He's just not a candidate.

2. McDaniels to Cleveland talk is just as ridiculous. He wasn't hired to be here for one year. BB has no Bill Obrien waiting in the wings to replace him like last time. I am pretty sure that McDaniels is here for at least 3 years.....maybe longer.

3. The way I see it, it could be the next HC of the Patriots is some 25 year old unknown kid in the quality control department, getting coffee and picking up prospects from the airport, who in 10-15 years will be ready to take over.

While Bill refuses to speak to matter of his future plans with us beyond reiterating annually that he still loves what he is doing, I'm sure he and Kraft have discussed the matter and have an agreement in place that will allow for a smoother transition than most. Kraft will likely get a heads up at the first sign of doubt that he wants to keep going indefinitely.

FWIW, the one contract extension we know about runs until the end of 2013.

Initially I felt it would be McDaniel for sure. But the more I think about it, the more I see BB staying long term. As long as he is physically or mentally able, BB will want to coach. He LOVES it. There is no place he'd rather be than at a football practice individually coaching players. There's no burn out for him. He isn't looking forward to some media gig, golf and fishing. He's like Bear Bryant. He'll keep coaching till they force him from the field, and then die within a year.

Yeah, I can't see him doing nothing, but I could see him retiring from the grind of being a HC/GM and, say, going to Navy and coaching the DL or something.

3. The way I see it, it could be the next HC of the Patriots is some 25 year old unknown kid in the quality control department, getting coffee and picking up prospects from the airport, who in 10-15 years will be ready to take over.

Or, if Urban Meyer settles in long-term at OSU, maybe a 37-year-old college DL coach. ;)

Last edited:
I favor the theory that BB will exit with Brady, but I wonder if BB, especially given his age, would be motivated to prove he can build a Super Bowl winner without Brady.

Or, if Urban Meyer settles in long-term at OSU, maybe a 37-year-old college DL coach. ;)
Sorry, but can't see Bill being an assistant to anyone with his ego and after having total control for all these years. And I mean that as a compliment to him.

I favor the theory that BB will exit with Brady, but I wonder if BB, especially given his age, would be motivated to prove he can build a Super Bowl winner without Brady.
the latter wouldn't surprise me at all.

My belief is 100% yes. I remember in 2008, ater Brady went down, BB was surprisingly upbeat. He knows as well as anyone that his reputation as a coach got a nice bump that year. Belichick's no fool and he knows what he has in Brady, so he's in no rush to see him go. But he also know that winning AB (After Brady) will do wonders for his legacy.

The big question there is timing. My opinion is Brady has five good years left (he takes such great care of his body);; BB is 60 and may or may not have the drive to build a post-Brady winner. But he does have a very young core right now, so, who knows.

My belief is 100% yes. I remember in 2008, ater Brady went down, BB was surprisingly upbeat. He knows as well as anyone that his reputation as a coach got a nice bump that year. Belichick's no fool and he knows what he has in Brady, so he's in no rush to see him go. But he also know that winning AB (After Brady) will do wonders for his legacy.

The big question there is timing. My opinion is Brady has five good years left (he takes such great care of his body);; BB is 60 and may or may not have the drive to build a post-Brady winner. But he does have a very young core right now, so, who knows.

Unfortunately, it could take years to find Brady's successor.

However, I think BB would almost certainly call it a career, should he win a Super Bowl post-Brady.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey