Status
Not open for further replies.

patsgo

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
does this make everyone feel better

does this make everyone feel better

YES!!!!

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!

Seriously guys, lighten up. It's been a good day. You'll see.

Too small, not fast enough, probably won't make the team.

Yes, I know, I'm just being facetious.

Eh, maybe he can fill in as a kicker. He'll have to in order to justify this move!

[sarcasm off]

He lacks the versatility the Pats want. Maybe he makes the practice squad, though.

I'm not in the camp that was ever feeling bad.

Just a little bored.

You're spot-on.

Well, except for the part where we gave up Deion Branch for a pick.

And the part where we acquired Adalius Thomas. And the acquisitions of several other talented WRs, but the loss of an outstanding TE. And so on ...

Last edited:
::chick-chunk:: okay, that's my online impression of that noise big ass guns make in the movies. Ejecting shells and chambering rounds, maybe? Not being a gun guy, this is the only time I use the "reloading" metaphor.

But anyway, whatever it is, ::chick-chunk::

PFnV

No way he will ever catch more more than 50 balls a year......err ..../checks 06 stats....nm!

Welker is going to be a stud for us.

Never heard of him.

you're all going to be very happy with Wes Welker, boys and girls... i watched him every play of every sunday in South Florida for a few years now...

he's similar to, but better than Tim Dwight in his prime, and if he establishes a rapport with Brady this summer, he will more than fill Troy Brown's shoes when Brown was at his best...

he's also gonna get you 5-35 yards on EVERY punt return, catch everything thrown his way that he can reach, and lay some guys out on special teams...

Wes Welker was your 2nd round pick, and he's a can't miss productive NFL receiver... an no one has really seen what he can do with a good passing offense, because Gawd knows the Dolphins haven't showcased him

This guy won't make it past training camp, let alone the NFL. He's got no speed, moves, toughness, versatility, hands..... :p

assuming this thread was full of sarcasm...

if not, how did this move work out again? oh...

Care to explain? With some logic of course.

Not to speak for Aqua, but the Fins did get a player they sorely needed in Satele. Now personally, I think I might have rather had Quinn, Satele and Welker rather than Beck, Satele and Ginn, but the trade was certainly reasonable for them.

For the Patriots, if you think of Welker as a draft pick, here's a basis for evaluation.

The Patriots spent pick #60 on a slot receiver, signing him to a 5-year, $18 million contract. The Colts spent pick #32 on a slot receiver, signing him to a 5-year, $7 million contract. The Pats spent twice as much money, but the Colts spent twice as valuable a draft pick.

Pats receiver so far: Averaging 7 catches a game for 75 yards; returned 17 punts for 10 yd average; returned 5 KOs for 26 yd average; 2 rushes for 16 yd average.

Colts receiver to date: Averaging 2 catches a game for 30 yards; no returns; no rushes.

Care to explain? With some logic of course.

To just reiterate what Patchick said, we sured up a position we needed help at much more then the position Welker plays. Don't get me wrong, Welker would've helped us a lot this year but we needed a change on the line and we had to sacrifice Welker to do so.

Not only does Satele give us a bonafide legitimate center, it allowed Rex Hadnot to slide back to his original right guard position where he is doing nothing short of dominating this season. Satele, Hadnot and Carey are 3 DAMN GOOD lineman and I hope we extend Hadnot and Carey after the conclusion of this 2007 season.

Not to speak for Aqua, but the Fins did get a player they sorely needed in Satele. Now personally, I think I might have rather had Quinn, Satele and Welker rather than Beck, Satele and Ginn, but the trade was certainly reasonable for them.

For the Patriots, if you think of Welker as a draft pick, here's a basis for evaluation.

The Patriots spent pick #60 on a slot receiver, signing him to a 5-year, $18 million contract. The Colts spent pick #32 on a slot receiver, signing him to a 5-year, $7 million contract. The Pats spent twice as much money, but the Colts spent twice as valuable a draft pick.

Pats receiver so far: Averaging 7 catches a game for 75 yards; returned 17 punts for 10 yd average; returned 5 KOs for 26 yd average; 2 rushes for 16 yd average.

Colts receiver to date: Averaging 2 catches a game for 30 yards; no returns; no rushes.

Interesting point with the possible trios the Dolphins could've had, but I think I'll stick with the one we have. Ginn is going to become a game changer as he continues to grow and progress each week. As you and me have already said, Satele is stud, and John Beck is going to surprise a ton of people.

Cameron and Mueller had Beck and Kolb rated to close to Quinn to render Quinn worthy of a 9th pick in the draft. There is one simple reason they had Beck so high and that reason is accuracy.

Think about the QBs Cameron has developed in his very impressive QB resume. Trent Green, Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers, sure all these guys can throw the ball down the field, but it's not their spice. Cam takes accurate QBs and molds them in that way.

John has only done the right things since he was drafted, I can't wait till I get to see him on the field in 2 weeks vs. the Bills.

Name: Wes Welker
College: Texas Tech Number: 27
Height: 5-09 Weight: 195
Position: WR Pos2: KR
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2004
40 Time: 4.61
Projected Round: 7-FA
Rated number 67 out of 156 WR's

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=58574

OVERVIEW

Exciting big-play jack-of-all-trades for the Red Raiders, performing as a split end, flanker, slot receiver, halfback, punt returner and kickoff returner during his career…The recipient of the 2004 March of Dimes Sports Headliner Award, Wes started 32 of 50 games at Tech… He caught 259 passes for 3069 yards (11.8 avg) and 21 touchdowns, topping the previous school career-records of 189 catches for 3059 yards by Lloyd Hill (1990-93)…His 21 touchdown receptions tied Carlos Francis (2000-03) for the Tech all-time record…Carried 79 times for 559 yards and two scores, adding 341 yards on 21 kickoff returns (16.2 avg)…Set school, Big Twelve Conference and NCAA Division 1-A career-records with 1761 yards on 152 punt returns (11.6 avg) and eight touchdowns, topping the previous national marks of 1695 yards by Vanderbilt’s Lee Nalley (1947-49) and seven scores by several players, including Oklahoma’s Jack Mitchell (1946-48; 3 in 1946, 1 in 1947, 3 in 1948); Johnny Rodgers of Nebraska (1970-72; 2 in 1970, 3 in 1971, 2 in 1972) and David Allen of Kansas State (1997-99; 1 in 1997, 4 in 1998)…Only Vai Sikahema of Brigham Young (153, 1980-81, 84-85) had more punt returns in Division 1-A annals…His 5730 all-purpose yards broke the old school career-record of 5156 yards by Donnie Anderson (1963-65).

ANALYSIS

Positives...Has had success in a variety of roles…Shows a quick initial burst off the snap, with adequate lateral agility and hip swerve...Uses his hands effectively to escape press coverage...Good route runner who gets in and out of the break point with no wasted motion...Knows where the sidelines are and is very adept at finding the open areas...Will break off his route and come back when the quarterback is flushed out of the pocket... Catches out of the framework with his hands properly extended...Does not hesitate fighting his way through traffic to get to the ball...Aggressive blocker who uses his hands and shuffles his feet to drive defenders off…Field the ball securely on returns and is quick to spot the seam in the open area.

Negatives...Frame is shorter than ideal...More quick than fast, lacking the top-end speed to separate in the open (relies on his moves and leg drive to break arm tackles)…Runs good short area routes, but when asked to go deep, he seems to coast too much at the end of his patterns, creating space while allowing the defensive back to recover...His small frame presents problems vs. the press coverage (needs to line up uncontested to maintain quickness through his routes)...Good return man, but does let the ball absorb into his body, at times, resulting in a few muffed attempts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes