Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Yes, I know that in each individual case, the re-signing cost was too prohibitive or the player copped an attitude, etc., etc., that did not fit the Belipioli model. (Exception here being Curtis Martin.) All teams have lost talented players to big-money free agent contracts. But this is a pretty mindboggling list of players that I doubt any other team can match, as far as guys with something left in the tank who've flown the coop. One can't help but fantasize what it would be like if all these guys were still wearing blue and silver. Have I forgotten anyone? Of course, the league continues to debate the Patriots' front office philosophy re., "system" vs. "talent," yet our three Lombardis speak for themselves. Still, I feel this season puts the Belipioli model to test like no other.

Ty Law

Lawyer Milloy

Willie McGinest

David Givens

Damien Woody

Joe Andruzzi

Adam Vinatieri

David Patten

Tom Ashworth

Greg Spires

Drew Bledsoe

Terry Glenn

Curtis Martin

Last edited:
Tunescribe said:
Yes, I know that in each individual case, the re-signing cost was too prohibitive or the player copped an attitude, etc., etc., that did not fit the Belipioli model. (Exception here being Curtis Martin.) All teams have lost talented players to big-money free agent contracts. But this is a pretty mindboggling list of players that I doubt any other team can match, as far as guys with something left in the tank who've flown the coop. One can't help but fantasize what it would be like if all these guys were still wearing blue and silver. Have I forgotten anyone? Of course, the league continues to debate the Patriots' front office philosophy re., "system" vs. "talent," yet our three Lombardis speak for themselves. Still, I feel this season puts the Belipioli model to test like no other.

Ty Law

Lawyer Malloy

Willie McGinest

David Givens

Damien Woody

Joe Andruzzi

Adam Vinatieri

David Patten

Tom Ashworth

Greg Spires

Curtis Martin

I don't see a main difference between us and any other team in the league. I mean, if guys like Patten, Ashworth, and Spires are going to be on the list, may as well add Tim Dwight, Andre Davis, Adrian Klemm, Matt Chatham, Robbie Gould, Christian Morton, Kliff Kingsbury, Spencer Nead, Antoine Womack, etc. Out of that list, only Martin (special case...and left during the Greir/Carroll regime), Vinatieri, Law, and Woody were the only players near Pro-Bowl calibre when they left town, and they all sought out to be the highest paid player in the league at their position...and two succeeded in being the highest paid player at their position All-Time.

Bottom Line: Guys like Andruzzi and Givens are special to us, and to us only, because they were Patriots. They were serviceable starters. Losing them isn't exactly hemorrhaging elite talent.

dryheat44 said:
I don't see a main difference between us and any other team in the league. I mean, if guys like Patten, Ashworth, and Spires are going to be on the list, may as well add Tim Dwight, Andre Davis, Adrian Klemm, Matt Chatham, Robbie Gould, Christian Morton, Kliff Kingsbury, Spencer Nead, Antoine Womack, etc. Out of that list, only Martin (special case...and left during the Greir/Carroll regime), Vinatieri, Law, and Woody were the only players near Pro-Bowl calibre when they left town, and they all sought out to be the highest paid player in the league at their position...and two succeeded in being the highest paid player at their position All-Time.

Bottom Line: Guys like Andruzzi and Givens are special to us, and to us only, because they were Patriots. They were serviceable starters. Losing them isn't exactly hemorrhaging elite talent.

You are correct to make these distinctions. I meant to focus on guys that moved on to be starters/significant contributors elsewhere; Patten would be one exception on my list. Isn't Ashworth penciled in as a starter in Seattle? And I believe Spires started in Tampa Bay. But really, what other team has unloaded similar amounts of talent?

Tunescribe said:
You are correct to make these distinctions. I meant to focus on guys that moved on to be starters/significant contributors elsewhere; Patten would be one exception on my list. Isn't Ashworth penciled in as a starter in Seattle? And I believe Spires started in Tampa Bay. But really, what other team has unloaded similar amounts of talent?

Spires started at DE in the Superbowl for the Bucs the year that Chucky got his prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back