PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England Patriots – Mock Draft 6.0

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
New England Patriots – Mock Draft 6.0

Steve Balestrieri

With lots of movement at the top of the draft in most of the big draft boards, the Patriots stand firm with some good solid players that fill their needs

Continue reading...

Mock drafts are just nothing but opinions, they are always correct until the day of the draft, and we all make so many of them, our 20-20 hindsight is always perfectly protected. However there are more misteps in this one than your others. Lets start counting the ways. ;)

1. First by not picking a DT you throw away our chances to repeat before we even get started.:eek:

2. You then waste that selection on a undersized, understrength, CB who shy's away from contact and has character issues. Hard to say so much bad in so few words

3. On the other hand AJ Conn is a great pick, except he and Jameis Winston have the same chance of lasting until the end of the 2nd round. If dreams were wishes I would have selected JJ Watt. Wishes rarely come true for the Pats on Draft day and never when they pick 32nd.

4 Yeah lets not waste that 3rd pick on a WR, lets waste him on one who might be blown away by a November gale. We need a WR (if at all) to be a guy who can run deep or be able to fight for the ball even when covered. Bell won't be able to do that Seems to me to more akin to a slot guy and we have those guys coming out of our ears.

5. TBell. - Steve comparing him to Brandon Spikes is NOT a complement. His position on the field is being phased out of today's game. Spikes doesn't even have a job right now, IIRC. Find me a "speed LB" and I'm right with you. Thumpers need not apply. Their day may come again, as the pendulum swings back to the running game, just not soon.

6. Grady Jarrett - That's my favorite pick so far. I love his quickness and he'd be a real find this deep
However this a long way to find a pick I really like or expect to be there

7. This is a good place for a RB but why not a potential 3rd down RB We already have 2 big RB's, do we need 3?

8. Golden is a nice selection. He's the kind of kid who might come in and turn heads, or be gone before September, but that is what makes those outliers so intriguing. Its all or nothing.

9. Please don't draft a QB, though I would love to have a 3rd one on the PS this season to take some of the throws off the our top 2. We aren't going to keep 3 guys on the roster so that pick is a pure wasted of a pick. Better to use it on a priority FA you want to make sure you keep

So here I am being critical of the hard work you did, without out doing any of my own. Unfortunately I can't do one right now, but I will promise to come back tonight and offer one of my own and see how I like it. ';)

Mock drafts are just nothing but opinions, they are always correct until the day of the draft, and we all make so many of them, our 20-20 hindsight is always perfectly protected. However there are more misteps in this one than your others. Lets start counting the ways. ;)

1. First by not picking a DT you throw away our chances to repeat before we even get started.:eek:

2. You then waste that selection on a undersized, understrength, CB who shy's away from contact and has character issues. Hard to say so much bad in so few words

3. On the other hand AJ Conn is a great pick, except he and Jameis Winston have the same chance of lasting until the end of the 2nd round. If dreams were wishes I would have selected JJ Watt. Wishes rarely come true for the Pats on Draft day and never when they pick 32nd.

4 Yeah lets not waste that 3rd pick on a WR, lets waste him on one who might be blown away by a November gale. We need a WR (if at all) to be a guy who can run deep or be able to fight for the ball even when covered. Bell won't be able to do that Seems to me to more akin to a slot guy and we have those guys coming out of our ears.

5. TBell. - Steve comparing him to Brandon Spikes is NOT a complement. His position on the field is being phased out of today's game. Spikes doesn't even have a job right now, IIRC. Find me a "speed LB" and I'm right with you. Thumpers need not apply. Their day may come again, as the pendulum swings back to the running game, just not soon.

6. Grady Jarrett - That's my favorite pick so far. I love his quickness and he'd be a real find this deep

7. This is a good place for a RB but why not a potential 3rd down RB We already have 2 big RB's, do we need 3?

8. Golden is a nice selection. He's the kind of kid who might come in and turn heads, or be gone before September, but that is what makes those outliers so intriguing. Its all or nothing.

9. Please don't draft a QB, though I would love to have a 3rd one on the PS this season to take some of the throws off the our top 2. We aren't going to keep 3 guys on the roster so that pick is a pure wasted of a pick. Better to use it on a priority FA you want to make sure you keep

So here I am being critical of the hard work you did, without out doing any of my own. Unfortunately I can't do one right now, but I will promise to come back tonight and offer one of my own and see how I like it. ';)

Have to agree with you Cousin. All valid points you have presented. This MOCK was poopy! What was he thinking? Yes they are all opinions and those might be his binkies which we all seem to wedge into our Mocks. He has got one or two that might not even be Draftable. He has got players ranked to high we Draft low and players rated low we Draft high.
DW Toys

"And it seems to me
They're drafting mocks
Who are candles in the wind..."

The problem here is that program's "big boards" don't take into account where a guy will be available. The particular big board may not like AJ Cann, but that doesn't mean he'll fall to #64, and Grady Jarrett will definitely not be available in the 4th round - there's a possibility both of those players will go in the 1st round.

I thought the SBNation "team" mock drafts which were done by users with contributing war rooms on each particular team's sites was and involved trading turned out pretty good for the Patriots.

The Patriots traded back from #32 with the Browns who selected Bryce Petty, and ended up with Eric Rowe in the middle of the 2nd and Carl Davis at #64. They then double-dipped with Xavier Cooper as BPA in the middle of the 3rd (pick from the Browns) and chose Ameer Abdullah with the compensatory selection. 4th round featured BJ Finney and Mark Glowinski. Rounding out the draft was Kenny Bell, Jarvis Harrison, and Tony Washington.

Hit every need (CB, DT, OL, 3DRB, WR, LB) and double-dipped in some with players I really like. I'm beginning to think the 3rd and 4th is the place for interior offensive linemen; corners, defensive linemen, linebackers, and wide receivers are better higher.

1st-3rd: http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/4/19/8451697/sb-nation-mock-draft/in/8217372
4th-7th: http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/4/19/8453337/sb-nation-mock-draft-part-2/in/8217372

So, not picking a DT on the first pick is an epic fail?

Unless I misunderstand, there is no reason to comment on the rest of the analysis.

1. He does pick a DT. Grady Jarrett is one of the best in the draft. I agree that Balestrieri is taking him way to late however.

2. As for Kevin Johnson, he's an excellent CB who could easily be a #1 CB in the right system. And I've not heard of any character concerns.

3. Kenny Bell is one of the tougher WRs in the draft. This is not someone that will "get blown away by a November gale". He can bulk up for sure and get stronger, but that's what S&C coaches are for.

Also, Kenny Bell's YPC stats by year are 18.2, 20.3, 16.8. Most describe him as a deep threat WR rather than a slot receiver. And finally, not only was he one of the most athletic WRs at the combine, he's probably the smartest WR in the draft and is consistently described as a team player that is a very willing blocker.

I'd respectfully suggest that you've got Kevin Johnson and Kenny Bell very wrong.

1. He does pick a DT. Grady Jarrett is one of the best in the draft. I agree that Balestrieri is taking him way to late however.

2. As for Kevin Johnson, he's an excellent CB who could easily be a #1 CB in the right system. And I've not heard of any character concerns.

3. Kenny Bell is one of the tougher WRs in the draft. This is not someone that will "get blown away by a November gale". He can bulk up for sure and get stronger, but that's what S&C coaches are for.

Also, Kenny Bell's YPC stats by year are 18.2, 20.3, 16.8. Most describe him as a deep threat WR rather than a slot receiver. And finally, not only was he one of the most athletic WRs at the combine, he's probably the smartest WR in the draft and is consistently described as a team player that is a very willing blocker.

I'd respectfully suggest that you've got Kevin Johnson and Kenny Bell very wrong.

Brother Ken's very hostile towards anyone who encroaches on the spelling of'is name. Crazy, I know. :eek:

Brother Ken's very hostile towards anyone who encroaches on the spelling of'is name. Crazy, I know. :eek:

Of course. Kevin and Kenny are anagrams (sort of).

I think any mention of WRs triggers a reaction too :)

So, not picking a DT on the first pick is an epic fail?

Unless I misunderstand, there is no reason to comment on the rest of the analysis.

Patfanken pointed out the other day that the Pats have selected DTs 4 times in the 1st round under Belichick. Seymour, Warren, Wilfork and Easley were drafted in 01, 03, 04 and 14, respectively. So he concluded the key to repeating was simply drafting a 1st round DT.

Agreed.

I don't think that Cann or Jarrett will last until our pick at 64, although one of them might be available for a trade up from 64.

Last edited:
Patfanken pointed out the other day that the Pats have selected DTs 4 times in the 1st round under Belichick. Seymour, Warren, Wilfork and Easley were drafted in 01, 03, 04 and 14, respectively. So he concluded the key to repeating was simply drafting a 1st round DT.

I respect ken much more than to suggest that he is talking about a superstition that we win when we draft a DT. BTW, I think of both Seymour and Warren as 3-4 DE's rather than DT's.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back