PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England..nothing to offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UGAPatsfan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I posted in another thread about why players seem to not take a hometown dicount here...

Think about this for a sec...

How often do you hear a New England athelete say "it's a business"

Especially Patriots.

The nature of how BB runs the team combined with New England not really being a place anyone wants to retire to (I'm going to move to the southwest when I retire) makes me wonder if this is simply a temporary "place of employment" for most atheletes?

KDPpatsfan said:
I posted in another thread about why players seem to not take a hometown dicount here...

Especially Patriots.

The nature of how BB runs the team combined with New England not really being a place anyone wants to retire to (I'm going to move to the southwest when I retire) makes me wonder if this is simply a temporary "place of employment" for most atheletes?

1. if you posted this in another thread, then why repost it?

2. you have bought into the media's opinion all we offer is hometown discounts. Who did we offer one to? Brady? Seymour? Who? It wasnt Branch . 3 years 20 mil, seahawks 6 years 39 mil.

3. a hometown discount is based upon a person growing up in an area and taking less money to stay in that area. this is not very common now in the nfl. the draft and greedy boogers dont use it.

KDPpatsfan said:

Especially Patriots.

Ask Grogan, Vataha, Hannah, Lippett, Tatupu, etc.

Tunescribe said:

Nelson, Lenkaitis, Brock, Zolak, Capelletti, DeOssie......

Tunescribe said:

Exactly Tunescribe! I just read where Fauria, who signed with the Skins in the offseason LOVES New England, and will return there to live. A million players from other parts of the country stay in New England. If I cared to, I could post alot more. Not worth my time.

P.S. - My job has brought me to the DC area. My wife's family is down here. We were in New England on vacation last week, and like every time when we visit, want to come back. The people are FAR more nice, FAR more polite, adn the area FAR more beautiful than most other parts of the country. We WILL return. There is no comparison IMHO.

This is a myth similar to the old "The Patriots are cheap" saw. The Patriots have more players making $1 million+ than any team in the NFL. They spend to the cap every year - I expect they will do so this year, as soon as the Deion situation gets cleared up.

So many athletes decide to stay here after their careers are over. It may just be because this is where they are famous and can make some endorsment money etc., but I have to think it's because they enjoy the area as well. They aren't former Patriots, but Bobby Orr and Derek Sanderson live down the street from me. I've been all over the world, and this is where I choose to live; I love it. I have to think many of the professional athletes feel the same.

Why wouldn't they want to go? In this city it's all Red Sox, all the time. It's like the Patriots don't even exist.

The Krafts need to do a better job of promoting these players. If I were a player on a 3 time Championship team and still had to answer questions about the Red Sox as Brady and Vrabel did recently, I'm not sure if I'd want to stick around either.

Some of these players are probrably treated like Gods in their hometowns down south, but here they're not even recognized.

KDPpatsfan said:

Aside from the hometown discounts taken by Brady, Bruschi, Vrabel, Brown and others, you're right about no one taking a hometown discount.

Aside from that, this IS just a temporary place of employment for most athletes - like Junior Seau its just a quick stop for them to pick up a Super Bowl Ring and then move on to bigger and better things.

Some recent players who left would not have even taken a hometown surcharge. I think of Damien Woody, who essentially wanted to get the biggest contract he could, and preferably in a less demanding environment. Our new WR Doug Gabriel was recently quoted about coming to NE, he said "they work hard there," meaning the staff here expects more out of a professional football player than most teams do. Players like Bruschi and Brady thrive on the team concept and the strong work ethic expected on this team, while others may prefer more player friendly coaching staffs, even if that means playing on a losing team.

Originally Posted by KDPpatsfan
(I'm going to move to the southwest when I retire)

NEM said:
Think twice about that...better yet, think Thrice.

What?!?!?! You're not popular there????????

jefmblrd said:
So many athletes decide to stay here after their careers are over. It may just be because this is where they are famous and can make some endorsment money etc., but I have to think it's because they enjoy the area as well. They aren't former Patriots, but Bobby Orr and Derek Sanderson live down the street from me. I've been all over the world, and this is where I choose to live; I love it. I have to think many of the professional athletes feel the same.

You can add Ray Bourque and Cam Neely to the list.
They both have settled down here and see to love it. Bourque from Montreal and Neely from Vancouver.

Having traveled all over the USA and also around the world, I can tell you NE is one of the more beautiful areas I have come across!

LOL.

Although I have uncovered some amazing deals in the Dominican republic.

My concern is that NFL games would be hard to come by.

Personally, I am tired of the snow and the break neck pace.

I just fiind/found it interesting that Ty Law, Willie Mac, Ty Warren, Dillon,Seymour, and a multitude of other players do not make thier residences here.

Although in fairness, if I were a millionaire with a job here, I would likely have a home elsewhere as well.

Drewwho said:
You can add Ray Bourque and Cam Neely to the list.
They both have settled down here and see to love it. Bourque from Montreal and Neely from Vancouver.

Having traveled all over the USA and also around the world, I can tell you NE is one of the more beautiful areas I have come across!

Don't forget one of my fave ex-Bruins, Lyndon Byers :D

Having been born and bred in Somerville Ma. and a recent transplant to NM I Can say with authourity: The negativity (and the weather) in that town (Boston) sucks!

It's a little of whatever floats your boat. For most, pro sports really isn't a lottery ticket. They made a decent living, but aren't "rich". They can translate a comfortable situation into a continued lucrative job/lifestyle based on experience and perceived credentials.

More often than not, a solid pro comes from the warm, easy South or is a farm-boy from the Mid-West. The types of places where Friday night lights are a way of life. Where the average Joe at Napa Auto Parts still regales listeners with his stories of 3rd-and-6 rushing downs parlayed into 30 yard touchdowns for county championships.

Players with nomad inclinations may be more more interested in planting roots where they were successful and aged, but this question is valid. New England is cold and unforgiving and so are the people. Geographically, I was literally born right in the middle of it and have lived the majority of my life here, so please spare me the random vitriol. Folks, New Englanders are world-reknowned for their cold, pessimistic demeanor.

New England is beautiful, but it loses it's beauty as every place does. Housing developments strip that beauty. Strip malls, international franchises move in. We, the fans, who scrutinize our favorite players to the point of even ever caring where they retire to are the ones behind it.

Are you suggesting that somebody could find playing with Tom Brady not enough to stay in NE and thus have nothing to offer?

If you're asking me, no. It would be the best decision any NFL WR could make, all questions asked.

Let's get to the bottom line here. Somewhere around 75% of NFL players are black. Excluding parts of Boston, New England has a very small percantage of blacks compared to the rest of the nation, the south in particular. Also, most people want to live close to their family and friends, so once they are done with the Pats or NFL, they want to go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back