PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England Bandwagon Nation by Ken Knight - Any feedback here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Truth is that it's going to be a LONG offseason;)

Steelers are fans from the 70's......49ers from the 80's......Especially Cowboys from the 90's generated alot more "bandwagon" fans than the Patriots have.

The Truth is that it's going to be a LONG offseason;)

At least it will be a Matt Walsh-free offseason. :)

As for the book, I read the review on Amazon one of the points mentioned is that the Patriots set attendance records after a SB appearance. Well, if the book is referring to the attendance following the 2001 championship, the team moved to a bigger stadium. Maybe that fact played a tiny role in setting new attendance records.

The book sounds like a jealous fan.. Not a worthy read..

The book sounds like a jealous fan.. Not a worthy read..
My guess is that he's a fan of the Cowboys, Steelers or Niners (actually he worship the Vikes) and wishes to use the fact that he lives in New Rngland a reason to DUMP on the home team. I looked at the book..the chapters..the twisted logic amd it looked like some troll wrote it. NFL fan?? PLEASE!!! He's half vbaked in his so called knowledge...I agree jealous troll...Making a point that he was NEVER a Patriot fan..just tells me TROLL!!! He actially writes for Bleacher Report so ANY review of that site is obviously biased..he claims this book is about NFL football in New England..,my guess is that he's missed out on it all...a Vikings fan and NASCAR. NASCAR??? Considering that...I think that says it all.. NASCAR...what a turkey NOT ever to be taken seriously.....

Steelers are fans from the 70's......49ers from the 80's......Especially Cowboys from the 90's generated alot more "bandwagon" fans than the Patriots have.
Steeler fans from the 70's (and the others you mentioned) are the equivalent of Yankee fans from the 20's.

None were there to witness it but all want to beat their chests and claim those championships as if they were.

The best thing that could happen would be for a moderator to delete this thread.
The longer it hangs around here on the first page, the more likely some fan of another team grabs the link and posts it to his own team's web site or fan forum.

If nothing else, move it to The Practice Squad.

Last edited:
So no one in this 2 page thread(at this time) has actually read the book.
That was the OPs question.
Everyone is just making assumptions based on the title I take it.
Perhaps the title is a truth that is coming to close to home ?

Do I really need to read his book to find out that the attendance at Foxboro Stadium sucked prior to Parcells being hired as the head coach or that Fred Smerlas and Pete Sheppard can be hypocritical homers? If he was a professional writer and not a Patriot hating Vikings fan (btw, has anyone actually checked the Viking's attendance records the last few years?), I might take him seriously. Even a review by a Jets fan who actually read the book states that the writing is substandard and his facts are skewed in some cases.

The synopsis of the book says it all. I think I have heard this guy on WEEI many of times (how many Vikings fans are there in New Hampshire who are rabid Patriots and WEEI personality haters) and if it is the same guy, he has a lot of facts, but twists them to suit his purpose.

If his whole book is predicated on that there are a lot of bandwagon jumpers for the Patriots and that most of the hosts on WEEI are homers, was there a need to write the book in the first place? You could probably write the same book about Atlanta during the Michael Vick craze. The Indy Colts during the Manning era. The Saints in their recent era. The Rams in the late 90s. There are plenty of teams that have had bandwagon fans. And homer radio personalities are in every sports market in America.

At least it will be a Matt Walsh-free offseason. :)

As for the book, I read the review on Amazon one of the points mentioned is that the Patriots set attendance records after a SB appearance. Well, if the book is referring to the attendance following the 2001 championship, the team moved to a bigger stadium. Maybe that fact played a tiny role in setting new attendance records.

Considering the Pats did not implement a standing room only ticket policy (which allows the Pats to sell above capacity) until they got into the new stadium, it probably played a part in it too. The Pats did add 6,000 seats to the new stadium with club seats.

It is stupid to make that argument since the Pats have sold out every game since 1994 which was not the first year after the Pats won the Super Bowl. The only way they could have sold more tickets is by creating more seats or adding SRO. Again, this goes to how Kevin from NH typically skews his facts.

If he was a professional writer and not a Patriot hating Vikings fan (btw, has anyone actually checked the Viking's attendance records the last few years?), I might take him seriously.

While I don't have any numbers the Vikes have nearly faced several TV blackouts in the past few years. That includes the recent wildcard game against the Eagles tho a huge chunk of that is on the Vikes due to the mishandling of season ticket owners.

(Of course there's the economy, the fact that Ticketmaster.com never once had tickets for sale on their site, and also under a week to sell the Dome out as well)

Edit: Also the last game I attended (vs Carolina) there was a good amount of seats all around the upper deck area that were empty. If I recall that game faced a near blackout.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the book and don't plan to read it, but this thread is giving Mr. Knight exactly what he wants: free publicity.

I don't know anything about the book and don't plan to read it, but this thread is giving Mr. Knight exactly what he wants: free publicity.

Wasn't he the Postman on Seinfeld? Uh, Newman.....oh, wait, that was Wayne Knight.

I guess you did not read the thread...points for you...As I said previously..I skimmed through the book .
I read your statement.
Skimming and reading are 2 different things though.

What's this got to do with the premise of the book:

From 1988 through 1990, the New England Patriots were mired in a seventeen consecutive home game blackout streak. In fact, the Patriots played in front of the four smallest home crowds in the entire NFL, during the 1990 season.

He could also write a book about the Steelers being the worst NFL team from 1933 through 1971, or the Jets having one of the worst no championship ongoing droughts of any major sports team. ****head must have sat in his parent's dormered upstairs bedroom wringing his hands wondering what he can write about.

I read your statement.

If it smells like a turd, it's probably a turd. If you need a taste test for verification, then go ahead.

</span>'New England Bandwagon Nation' by Ken Knight was born and raised in Massachusetts, but has never been a fan of the New England Patriots. “
“This book is sure to create a whirlwind hail ofcontroversy. This book is geared towards avid NFL fans.”(not in nobody reads it!!)
The Truth About Patriots Fans: "New England Bandwagon Nation" | Bleacher Report “From the Pats’ 17-game television blackout streak to record-breaking attendance totals in seasons following a Super Bowl appearance, Knight drives home his point about fair-weather fan support in New England.”

If you have to go back 20 years , under prior ownership to show fair weather support, it sort of undercuts your premise……

New England Bandwagon Nation [Archive] - Dallas Cowboys Forums
“Thanks to the NFL, we will never know how much of Tom Brady's success can be attributed to the "Spygate" scandal.”
[FONT=&quot]Ugh puleeeeze. They went 18-1 and were one miracle catch away from 19-0 under immense scrutiny post- Spygate and 29-6 if you add in this past season with a first time starter at QB…..[/FONT]
Sounds like he slipped and bashed his head when he tried to jump on the bandwagon back in 2002.

I read your statement.
Well...I did a llot of reading of it as well...and my opinions of it were from what I read..no interest in reading poorly formed opinions from one who is trying to be controversial....

From what I can tell from the bantering back and forth with him on bleacher report he is simply a guy who grew up in New England and picked a different team, which is fine. However, he had friends that started getting into the Pats when they got good and gave him crap for it, and now he is writing a book to cash in on the nations dislike of boston sports as a whole right now, which again is fine, but there's nothing earth shattering in there. Everyone knows the Pats didn't sell out before 1994, and his opinions come across like a board troll, in fact if I read the ESPN boards for one day I've read his whole book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes