Welcome to PatsFans.com

New England athletes

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by gomezcat, May 24, 2007.

1. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Given how few New Englanders there appear to be in the NFL, I was wondering what sports the best kids go into. Is it Ice Hockey? Baseball? It's a slow offseason and these things keep me awake.

2. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +128 / 8 / -4

#75 Jersey

I would say Hockey AND baseball have to be the big sports kids go into. There are a lot of pro baseball players from NE.

3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm told the fashionable sport for kids now is Lacrosse. Baseball seems to be staging a comeback and Soccer(you call it feutballe;) ) seems to be waning a bit. Few parents will allow their precious tykes to play some Football:(

4. Iverson

Iverson Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The best athletes here play basketball and football - same as everywhere else in the US. More kids play hockey here than most of the country, but still a very low % of children grow up playing hockey (or lacrosse for that matter) compared to those who play soccer, basketball, football and baseball. Soccer doesn't get the great athletes because the $$ incentive just isn't there and baseball interest is waning (probably because it is boring) - plus both are less reliant on pure athleticism than basketball or football.

5. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Cheers. I just asked because I couldn't think of that many people in the NFL who were from New England. Tom Nalen, Matt Hasselbeck, Tebucky Jones Jermaine Wiggins and Doug Flutie came to mind....