PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England and Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Houston loses, TENN will be in the playoffs. Houston will likely beat them (or Cinci) the next week in Houston. HOU will then go on to play the #2 seed.

Just how hard should we try to play PITT and BALT at home instead of HOU at home and BALT away?

If I am Houston, I rest up. If I am the Patriots, I play all out to win this weekend.
MG, Baltimore is perfect at home this season while 4-4 on the road (even a not so unrealistic chance to go 3-5). I think it is fair to conclude a game against Balt in Balt makes us a definite underdog. Conversely, a game vs Balt in NE makes us a definite favorite. I realize being at home has a built in advantage, however, with Balt it appears it is a significant step above the typical built in advantage.

I hear exactly what you are saying with getting, what appears to be, a faltering Houston team in our first playoff match up. It ideally sets up only a single, albeit very difficult, match up to get to the SB. However, given the faltering play of Houston, it is very uncertain Houston will win (I wouldn't bet a dollar on Hou based on their play the last few weeks). If they don't win, we easily could end up with Pitt in our first game then have to play a Balt team that appears brutally difficult to beat at home.

The bottom line is things are uncertain with every team not named Balt, Pitt or NE. The smart play is to make sure Pitt and/or Balt have to come to NE.

I'd want them out there personally, unless the game gets out of reach.

Let's win. There are too many variables. If this was a situation where NE played instead of having a bye and the outcome of their game garanteed a certain opponent - ok. But that is not the case. Win, get home field, let's see what happens then.

If Houston loses next week then they go into the playoffs with a three-game losing streak. If that is the case I would not be the least bit surprised if they lose in the first round, regardless of who their opponent is.
Agreed, there have been a few recent instances of this. Teams shouldn't turn it down when they are heading into the playoffs....imho

Pats need to go for homefield and plus they need to get revenge on the bills. As for the texans, I don't see this as that hard of a decision. If you have guys banged up like Andre Johnson don't play em. The chance of both the ravens & steelers losing this weekend isn't good. Ravens could lose to the bengals but, I doubt steelers lose to the browns. Wouldn't be surprised at all if texans rest a lot of guys.

I'm sure BB won't be considering it, but the Pats play the early game. If they win, then Baltimore, which plays a later game, will have nothing to play for and may even be deflated. This helps Cincinnati against the Ravens.

Just one more event which could help keep the loathsome Rats out of the playoffs.

I'm sure BB won't be considering it, but the Pats play the early game. If they win, then Baltimore, which plays a later game, will have nothing to play for and may even be deflated. This helps Cincinnati against the Ravens.

Just one more event which could help keep the loathsome Rats out of the playoffs.

BALT would need PIT to lose too who also play late. if BALT lose and PIT win then PIT gets a first round bye and BALT will have to got to Heinz field in their second game. BALT controls part of it's own destiny steelers have no control over theirs. Pats have full control.

How much does either team want to win this week? isn't a week to rest all the injured?

Don't know (or care) about Houston. But New England should (and will) play all-out for the win. HFA throughout the playoffs is a huge deal. When I say "all-out" I don't necessarily mean they'll rush Light or Mankins back. They'll probably try to get through it with the line that finished up the game this past week. But I wouldn't expect Brady or Welker or Gronk or any of those guys to rest, unless the game is a huge blowout.

Somehow I don't see Bill handing out hall passes after what he went through with this team last week. Football players play football, and the goal is to play it at a consistently high level. They win and they have a bye week to rest up without rusting and home field throughout. Baltimore has struggled on the road this season and Pittsburgh desperately needs a bye. The smart money move is to due whatever it takes to insure that Baltimore eventually has to travel and Pittsburgh gets no break or rest. If guys are genuinely injured Bill won't play them. But this team needs the work as much as Houston does and both teams need to build some confidence and consistency and momentum heading into the post season.

People forget that there are only a handful of players on this team who know what it takes to win it all. And there are none in Houston. What it takes is commitment.

Tennessee still has an outside shot at getting that number 6 seed but it all starts with them beating Houston on Sunday. They would still need more help from cincy and they NYJ but Houston could feel better about Tennessee than Cincinnati and let them win in an attempt to knock Cincy out and sneak a familiar, divisional opponent in for their first round game.

I think New England and Houston approach this week like any other week. Players that can play,will play.

Houston is absolutely amazing to do what they have done while missing so many key players.

Our goal for Buffalo should be to pound the rock, if our O line is healthy enough and avoid turning the ball over.

If Houston loses, TENN will be in the playoffs. Houston will likely beat them (or Cinci) the next week in Houston. HOU will then go on to play the #2 seed.

Just how hard should we try to play PITT and BALT at home instead of HOU at home and BALT away?

I can see tanking if it was for the purpose of setting up a preferred matchup in the following round. For example losing to Miami in the Doug Flutie drop kick game set up the Pats to play at Jacksonville rather than elsewhere (at Pittsburgh?) the next week in the wild card round that year. But that was different because there was not the unknown variables of (a) not knowing who the #6 seed will be, and more importantly (b) not knowing what the outcome of the first round games will be.

Tennessee needs a lot more to get into the playoffs than to just beat the Texans and also have the Bengals lose to the Ravens. In addition to that they also need for the Jets to win at Miami, plus have either Oakland lose to the Chargers or the Broncos lose to the Chiefs.

Not a single one of those games is a lock; therefore there's no way I would assume Tennessee will be in the playoffs even if they do beat the Texans. Therefore there is no way that the Pats should assume the Titans will be the number six seed, even if they know Houston will be resting as many starters as possible.

bump

I agree that the players who play will play like the professionals they are. They will try to win.

The question is not whether players will play to win.

The question is how cautious Belichick will be in resting folks that could use the rest.

Will Branch or Welker be active?

Will Chung or Spikes be active?

The open question is whether Belichick will rest Welker and Branch.

Baltimore is 8-0 at home and 3-4 on the road. And you're not sure the number one seed is worth fighting for?

Plus, as number one we'd get the number 6 seed if they were to upset Houston, and that is a very possible scenario no matter they be Oakland, Tenn, Cincy, or the Jets. That would be a heck of a good start to the playoffs for the Pats and the many youngsters they have.

As number two seed our first game will almost certainly be Pitt. I'd rather Pitt and Balt. beat each other up a third time this year before we see either of them, and that's exactly what will happen if Balt ends up number two and Pitt wins their first game - assuming Houston is upset.

Last edited:
Baltimore is 8-0 at home and 3-4 on the road. And you're not sure the number one seed is worth fighting for?

Plus, as number one we'd get the number 6 seed if they were to upset Houston, and that is a very possible scenario no matter they be Oakland, Tenn, Cincy, or the Jets. That would be a heck of a good start to the playoffs for the Pats and the many youngsters they have.

As number two seed our first game will almost certainly be Pitt. I'd rather Pitt and Balt. beat each other up a third time this year before we see either of them, and that's exactly what will happen if Balt ends up number two and Pitt wins their first game - assuming Houston is upset.

Darn right. I actually think the Ravens may lose in Cinci and Pitt will actually win the division. The Pats need to win and lock up the 1st seed.

I am inclined to go with sitting them. But with BB I think they will play a little, to much on the line.

But if I am not mistaken BB sat Welker for the last game of the year last year?

Yes he did.

How much does either team want to win this week? isn't a week to rest all the injured?

I never like the idea of resting up and throwing a game. I think it gives a team bad karma going forward (see Colts in Peyton's heyday). We should strive to win to make a strong push for the playoffs and to get the number 1 seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down