PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England 24th in NFL in sacks through week 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really tough for me to be talking about sacks when this defense is basically holding teams to under 100 yards passing in the 2nd half.

This deserves highlighting.

This deserves highlighting.

I feel like I'm channeling Tom Menino when I say, "People are obsessed with them sacks"

I think some fans need to watch the GB game from a couple of years ago when the rushed AR with only 3 sometimes 4 lineman for 1/2 the game. GB didn't do squat in the 2nd 1/2 of that game.

How could sacks be overrated when they almost always result in massive yardage loss? They are important, especially when it's combined with an elite pass defense, like the Broncos has. With that said, the Pats' D seems to be a very good unit this year, so I wouldn't worry about this aspect, especially with an elite O.

How could sacks be overrated when they almost always result in massive yardage loss?
The average yardage loss due to a sack is about six yards. If you get a sack it's never bad, but a sack is not an end to everything.

How could sacks be overrated when they almost always result in massive yardage loss? They are important, especially when it's combined with an elite pass defense, like the Broncos has. With that said, the Pats' D seems to be a very good unit this year, so I wouldn't worry about this aspect, especially with an elite O.
With the Colts, it's usually a more massive yardage loss than other teams because Luck is one of the few remaining QB's in the league that consistently has a seven step drop. With most other teams, it's around 5-6 yards lost on the play.

Much like the rest of the defense, it's hard to judge where the pass rush is truly at due simply to the amount of bad but mobile quarterbacks they've played. The Patriots roll out a very bland game plan and play contain rather than push too far upfield and thus opening running lanes. The only glimpses we've really gotten this year are the Cards game, the first half against Miami, and halfway through the third quarter on against Cincy when Belichick abandoned that strategy because Dalton was picking them apart.

Theyre overrated because they occur only a few times a game and generally do not have much impact on a game compared to a lot of other stats. There are at least a dozen other defensive stats that are more important. Yes, a sack is a good play. But theyre overated -mostly by people who really dont know football-like a lot of fantasy football players. And like ive said ad nauseum, you cant take ANY defensive stat, except points allowed, at face value, w/o looking at it in context. The pats gameplans both on O and D will be tailored specifically to match their opponents weaknesses. If youre a facing a running qb, you obviously want to play contain and you probably wont have any sacks. Thats a GOOD thing.

I feel like I'm channeling Tom Menino when I say, "People are obsessed with them sacks"

I think some fans need to watch the GB game from a couple of years ago when the rushed AR with only 3 sometimes 4 lineman for 1/2 the game. GB didn't do squat in the 2nd 1/2 of that game.

For me, it is part of a general dumbing-down of the sport, in the same mindset as all big play obsessions and home-run hitting skill players. It values adrenaline rush over winning, and a temporary intense sense of superiority over long term excellence. I swear some fans would rather have a handful of exciting plays from high end (often selfish) skill players, than they would a win. Hollywood and instant gratification culture.

It has been worse by many of the NFL stars who have been hired as broadcast analysts, who made a lot of money off of the star system but never understood what sustained excellence was or is in the NFL. It is also the foundation of "the Pats don't play players" belief system which is really "the Pats don't pay running backs, wide receivers, and cornerbacks as much as the rest of the league does" in disguise.

Nice article. It echoed some of what I was saying in my last post. I knew when Cincy converted on 3rd and 24 that they were going to abandon that game plan. I mean, there was no god damn point to playing contain in that situation and sitting back. Dalton knitted a sweater before he found a receiver past the chains for a first down. But we should get used to it because we will be seeing it this weekend. That's why I said in another thread that the offense will need to bring their A-game because the defense will probably be on the field for a very long period of time this weekend.

as a metric, sacks get guys contract $$$ from GM's who over value them

as a measure of a defense, they aren't that vital......hurries/pressures/knockdowns are just as, if not more, telling

Sacks are important, and they can be game changers. Some people overrate them, but there are also plenty of people here who are minimizing them far beyond what they should.

And if JJ Watt was playing for the Patriots, some of the same people minimizing sacks now would be singing a different tune.

Nice article. It echoed some of what I was saying in my last post. I knew when Cincy converted on 3rd and 24 that they were going to abandon that game plan. I mean, there was no god damn point to playing contain in that situation and sitting back. Dalton knitted a sweater before he found a receiver past the chains for a first down. But we should get used to it because we will be seeing it this weekend. That's why I said in another thread that the offense will need to bring their A-game because the defense will probably be on the field for a very long period of time this weekend.

Given the possible state of that Bills WR group, we could see another game without a single Patriots blitz.

Sacks are important, and they can be game changers. Some people overrate them, but there are also plenty of people here who are minimizing them far beyond what they should.

And if JJ Watt was playing for the Patriots, some of the same people minimizing sacks now would be singing a different tune.

Yep. Sacks are important. When a sack occurs, the offense has a negative yardage play and essentially loses the down. Depending on the hit, it can rattle the QB and the demoralize the O-line.

I think fans who use them as a sole indicator of how effective a pass rush and overall play of a defense are a bit misguided.

Given the possible state of that Bills WR group, we could see another game without a single Patriots blitz.
I would be surprised if they did. If McCoy is really out, they won't have to worry about him hurting them on the wheel and the attention will shift to Taylor as the primary runner. I can't see Belichick blitzing him. It's absolutely maddening to watch, but you can't argue with the results right now.

You need to put some type of pressure on the qb. Bill rushed 3 yesterday. I don't know if he can do that if they face big ben in january. Eventually the secondary will be exposed.

....and I'm sure he wouldn't have done that yesterday if Ben had been playing. Bill looked analyzed WHO he'd be up against and went with the defense that he thought would be best.

Was rushing 3 better than blitzing or the standard 'rush four'? We'll never know, but what we do know is that rushing 3 was effective in getting a win.

I'll admit it was incredibly frustrating as a fan to watch. After all, if you see a quarterback essentially 'camping' in the pocket your mind tells you that he WILL find an open receiver eventually. The pats for the most part though were pretty good at minimizing opportunities/gains.

....but definitely very frustrating to watch

It definitely is a good argument though.

When watching the games I think we can all see that it was the scheme that limited sack opportunities.

The question then becomes....did they resort to this scheme b/c tehy felt a 4 man rush would be ineffecitve?

This is required reading for everyone who has been complaining about the lack of sacks/pressure. The gameplans have been logical, given the circumstances, and the results really can't be argued with. When they've used Hightower or Collins to blitz, however, they've had some success - including a couple of safeties.

We have the luxury of playing some really awful QBs this year. The only AFC QB that could threaten us in the playoffs is Big Ben. But I feel comfortable knowing that potential matchup would be in Foxboro. A different defensive gameplan and better execution by the offense should result in a victory.

This is required reading for everyone who has been complaining about the lack of sacks/pressure. The gameplans have been logical, given the circumstances, and the results really can't be argued with. When they've used Hightower or Collins to blitz, however, they've had some success - including a couple of safeties.

We have the luxury of playing some really awful QBs this year. The only AFC QB that could threaten us in the playoffs is Big Ben. But I feel comfortable knowing that potential matchup would be in Foxboro. A different defensive gameplan and better execution by the offense should result in a victory.

If we were nitpicking here, you could still argue that the Defense can do more to get off the field on 3rd down (though, as others have point out, they just had their best 3rd down efficiency of the season vs. Pittsburgh). But like you said, you can't help but be satisfied with the overall results. They've done exactly what they're being ask to do.

Last edited:
I can't see Belichick blitzing him.

But with a lesser WR threat and RB out of the backfield threat - a Chung or Collins spy plan may be the straw that stirs the defensive drink and allow a slight loosening of the containment protocols.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes