PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Draft Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
April 2, No Jokes:

24 Anthony Spencer LB Purdue

28 I'm keeping with the same trade. I just can't believe that BB will allow nearly two full rounds to go by before taking a pick. Patriots trade the #28 to Tampa Bay for the #64 pick and 2nd round and fourth rounders in 2008. Bruce Allen and Jon Gruden are reportedly on a Playoffs-or-your-Jobs ultimatum, so they could make a deal like this.

64 Josh Wilson CB Maryland. I was waiting for either Harris or Josh Wilson to come off the board, then trade up to grab the other. As they were both on the board at 63, there was no need.

91 Stewart Bradley ILB Nebraska - Slow, white, whatever. I'm not sold on him, but in the third round, he's worth the gamble.

127 Darius Walker RB Notre Dame - I think he's a solid second rounder, although he's typically slated to go around here. He's my favorite Non-Oklahoma can-do back in the draft. He's played two years in a Pro-Style offense, his receiving and blitz pick up skills are great for a rookie, he can carry the load if necessary. Just a complete back. I considered taking him at 91.

171 Some great value in this spot. DeAndre Jackson CB Iowa St

180 CJ Wilson S Baylor - Falling as a Corner, but undervalued as a free safety.

202 Jesse Daniels SS LSU

208 Jeff Rowe QB Nevada - You're probably all sick of my advocating this guy, but I don't much care. I have the feeling he's going to have a long career in the NFL as a reliable backup or better.

209 Anthony Waters ILB Clemson - Low risk, high reward here. Logical candidate to be PUPed then IRed.

247 Quentin Echols NT Kansas St - Dominated the E-W shrine game. Hopefully can spell Wilfork in 2007 or 2008.

Top ten UDFA targets (#256+):
Marquies Gunn OLB Auburn
Larry Brown DE Oklahoma St
Mark Fenton C Colorado
Marquay McDaniel WR Hampton
Matt Guttierez QB Idaho St
Kelly Talavou NT Utah
Reggie Merriweather RB Clemson
Jonathan Allan TE Norfolk St
Brannon Condren SS Troy
Robin Gamble OLB Miles

Last edited:
It's legal. Bo Jackson, Drew Henson, Brian Jordan, and Raghib Ismail (slightly different circumstance) were all drafted although they were committed to baseball/CFL.

The problem with Samardija is that he's a left handed pitcher, which pretty much is all you need to make the major leagues for 12 years.

The other problem is that even after 3-4 years he quits to play football:

1) The Patriots rights to him will have expired (2 years after the draft I believe)

2) He won't have played football in 3-4 years. To my knowledge nobody's been able to do that.

But you must admit, it was thinking outside the box. Plus by pick #247 they are already calling the targeted UDFA's.

:)

Ship off ASSante and the 28 pick to the 'Skins for the number 6 pick and Carlos Rogers, the Skins do this because they NEED a ball hawk as they were DEAD LAST in interceptions and defensive td's last season...they get rid of Rogers who has overstayed his welcome according to fans

6. Laron Landry, FS, LSU- best safety to come out since Sean Taylor, well worth the cost of Asante/ #28

24. Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas- pure cover corner who needs to be taught how to stop the run....with our front seven that shouldn't be too big of a problem anyways

91. Steward Bradley, LB, Nebraska- BB type player...smart with good intangibles

127. Quincy Black, LB, New Mexico- great cover LB to bring in during passing downs

171. Chris Henry, RB, Arizona- pure potential...I don't know why he didn't produce but he might blossom in the NFL

180. David Ball, WR, New Hampshire- weird prospect who is said to be so underrated he is overrated...don't expect too much but who knows?

202. Tyler Palka, QB, Pittsburgh- a bit of a cheat but oh well :)

208. Larry Anam, CB, Boston College- local guy with great measurables

209. Anthony Waters, LB, Clemson- coming off injury but would have a first round pick...will he turn into something?

247. Mario Henderson, OT, Florida State- good mobility for the size

Last edited:
Here it goes:

#24 Ted Ginn Jr. WR, Ohio State --- He gives us some big play potential. He could start the year off as a return man until he grows into the WR position. The Patriots really struggled making big plays the last few years. Ginn gives them something they have not really had. Remember that the Stallworth contract is basically a one year deal.

#28 Michael Griffen S, Texas --- The eventual replacement for Rodney. Griffen is a multi-demensional player who would be a very good pick for the Patriots.

#91 Justin Durant LB, Hampton --- I have never seen him play, but I have read and heard that he could be a good fit especially as a third down linebacker.

#127 Anthony Arline CB, Baylor--- A big corner. He could help on special teams and could be another corner for the future.

#171 Matt Spaeth TE, Minnesota --- A very big TE. Brady is a one or two year stop gap measure. Thomas and Watson are more pass receivers than Spaeth would be.

#180 Dallas Sartz LB, USC --- I really liked Sartz. He had great games when I saw him play this season. I have read many reports where he may get drafted much higher than this.

#202 Dan Santucci OG, Notre Dame --- The obligatory late round Notre Dame pick.

#208 Jesse Daniels SS, LSU --- Probably got positive comments from Nick Saban about him.

#209 Kasey Studdard OG, Texas --- Another developmental draft pick. He was a very productive player on a very good team for two years.

#247 Jeff Samardzija WR, Notre Dame --- Why not?

It's hard to believe that we will make 10 picks, but work is getting in the way and I haven't got the time to work on trades right now:

24. Justin Harrell DT
28. Joe Staley OT
91. Zak DeOssie ILB/OLB
127. John Wendling SS
171. DeAndre Jackson CB
180. Steve Breaston WR
202. Anthony Waters ILB
208. Ryne Robinson WR
209. Usama Young CB
247. Nate Ilaoa RB

It's hard to believe that we will make 10 picks, but work is getting in the way and I haven't got the time to work on trades right now:

24. Justin Harrell DT
28. Joe Staley OT
91. Zak DeOssie ILB/OLB
127. John Wendling SS
171. DeAndre Jackson CB
180. Steve Breaston WR
202. Anthony Waters ILB
208. Ryne Robinson WR
209. Usama Young CB
247. Nate Ilaoa RB
Now that's a haul, grab Will Herring and Stapelton from Rutgers as UDFAs and it's a hallelujah draft class.

24. Justin Harrell DT
28. Joe Staley OT
91. Zak DeOssie ILB/OLB
127. John Wendling SS
171. DeAndre Jackson CB
180. Steve Breaston WR
202. Anthony Waters ILB
208. Ryne Robinson WR
209. Usama Young CB
247. Nate Ilaoa RB

I really like this. Your first seven picks are guys on my board also.

Thanks BoR & DH. When it comes to the late rounds we all have our favorites (and we all understand what a cr*pshoot it is to predict them). I really think that we will be picking up a TE and developmental QB somewhere along the draft, but this was just what I came up w/. My thoughts on the last 3 for DH:

Usama Young- Dean Pees special (as Dean was his former coach). 5-11 1/8, 196. Timed 4.4 speed @ Pro Day, 43” vertical!.

“Young's vertical jump of 43 inches would have been among the best scores of any players in his position group at this year's NFL combine. His long shuttle run of 11.98 seconds would also have topped all defensive backs at the combine. Just for good measure, Young twice ran the 40-yard dash in 4.40 seconds. Current rumors circulating through the NFL have Young most likely being drafted early on day two and possibly even late on day one… - Ravenna Record Courier”

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=26663

Ryne Robinson- Super productive receiver (234 career catches, 3400 yds.). I believe that he had 5 return TDS in college though I seem to have lost the link. I always look @ possible return men late. Last year it was Jennings from Fresno. I never seem to get the names right but I keep on trying…

“PFWA02/25/07 - He is an under-sized player at 5-9, 178 pounds. He was all first-team Mid-American Conference in 2006 with 91 receptions for 1,178 yards and eight receiving touchdowns. He also returned 18 punts for 175 yards and one touchdown. He is projected as a college free agent but is expected to go to training camp with some NFL team. His possible NFL future is as a punt return man. Scouts say he has a solid upper body for a smaller man and thus is able to push off the line well…His 40-yard dash time was 4.47. -- Mark Curnutte, PFWA”

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=13752

Nate Ilaoa- @ 5-9, 245 w/ 4.7 speed seems to have have the perfect build for a wedge buster on ST. There really is no history on June Jones’ RB’s in the pros but he can fill the gap that has been missing on the team since Mosi left (i.e. designated Pacific Island ST terror).

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/nflcombineprofile.php?pyid=18694

Last edited:
Nate Ilaoa- @ 5-9, 245 w/ 4.7 speed seems to have have the perfect build for a wedge buster on ST. There really is no history on June Jones’ RB’s in the pros but he can fill the gap that has been missing on the team since Mosi left (i.e. designated Pacific Island ST terror).

Clearly you've forgotten about Ula Tuitele.

Thanks BoR & DH. When it comes to the late rounds we all have our favorites (and we all understand what a cr*pshoot it is to predict them). I really think that we will be picking up a TE and developmental QB somewhere along the draft, but this was just what I came up w/. My thoughts on the last 3 for DH:

Usama Young- Dean Pees special (as Dean was his former coach). 5-11 1/8, 196. Timed 4.4 speed @ Pro Day, 43” vertical!.

“Young's vertical jump of 43 inches would have been among the best scores of any players in his position group at this year's NFL combine. His long shuttle run of 11.98 seconds would also have topped all defensive backs at the combine. Just for good measure, Young twice ran the 40-yard dash in 4.40 seconds. Current rumors circulating through the NFL have Young most likely being drafted early on day two and possibly even late on day one… - Ravenna Record Courier”

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=26663

Ryne Robinson- Super productive receiver (234 career catches, 3400 yds.). I believe that he had 5 return TDS in college though I seem to have lost the link. I always look @ possible return men late. Last year it was Jennings from Fresno. I never seem to get the names right but I keep on trying…

“PFWA02/25/07 - He is an under-sized player at 5-9, 178 pounds. He was all first-team Mid-American Conference in 2006 with 91 receptions for 1,178 yards and eight receiving touchdowns. He also returned 18 punts for 175 yards and one touchdown. He is projected as a college free agent but is expected to go to training camp with some NFL team. His possible NFL future is as a punt return man. Scouts say he has a solid upper body for a smaller man and thus is able to push off the line well…His 40-yard dash time was 4.47. -- Mark Curnutte, PFWA”

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=13752

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/nflcombineprofile.php?pyid=18694

Young has been climbing recent draft boards, and might end up going in the 5th-6th. NE taking him with their fifth round comp wouldn't be out of the question because that's basically a 6th rounder, anyways.

Clearly you've forgotten about Ula Tuitele.

I can't believe I forgot him. My apologies go out to the entire Tuitele family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes