PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Draft Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like his need to "water" the rough on the golf course, he's convinced Mother Nature will reward him by placing another Patriots' logo golf ball in his selected patch of greenery.

As I mentioned before, I want new balls. I want balls with the 4X SB Champions logo.

Drafting Willis would help me get new balls. It's all about the balls.:rocker:

arise mighty thread so other may bask in my... opps your greatness

Two approaches can be taken:
1) Who do I want to be picked?
2) Who will the Patriots pick?

#2 has sent many a soul to an asylum, so for this version I will go with #1. Also will attempt to do this in less than 60 seconds.

24 - Chris Houston, CB
28 - Jon Beason, LB
91 - Lorenzo Booker, RB
123 - Sabby Piscitelli, SS
160 - Allen Barbre, OT/OG
165 - Laurent Robinson, WR
187 - Noland Burchette, OLB
192 - Reggie Lewis, CB
193 - Desmond Bishop, ILB
224 -Craig Dahl, SS

Last edited:
It seems any trade with any other team can be justified with the simple sentance "Patriots will trade pick x and y to team z for picks a and b because team z wants pick x to draft player q because they need help at that position." Despite what we'd like to believe, the other GMs in the NFL are not idiots, Matt Millen excepted. Generally speaking, it's a lot easier to trade up than trade down. However, I won't be using trades to keep things simple.

24 Anthony Spencer OLB Purdue
28 Josh Wilson CB Maryland
91 Zak DeOssie LB Brown
123 Darius Walker RB Notre Dame
160 CJ Wilson S Baylor
165 Jeff Rowe QB Nevada
187 Quentin Echols NT Kansas St
192 Anthony Waters ILB Clemson
193 Bo Smith CB Weber St
224 Brannon Condren SS Troy

Top ten UDFA targets (#256+):
Gabe Hall OT Texas Tech
Tanner Jenkins C Arkansas St
Chad Nkang SS Elon
Marvn Mitchell ILB Tennessee
Matt Guttierez QB Idaho St
Kelly Talavou NT Utah
Reggie Merriweather RB Clemson
Jonathan Allan TE Norfolk St
Joey Card FS Miami (OH)
Robin Gamble OLB Miles

24 - Chris Houston, CB
28 - Anthony Spencer DE/OLB
91 - Zak DeOssie ILB
123 - Sabby Piscitelli SS
160 - Chris Henry RB
165 - Allen Barbre OT
187 - David Patterson DT
192 - Yamon Figurs WR
193 - Desmond Bishop, ILB
224 - Tim Mixon CB

Last edited:
Grading

Besides my own, I award best drafts to PatsNutMe, Mark Morse, and drpatriot

Re: Grading

wrt your draft, is there a CB besides Wilson, that you would take if available at 24, and risk letting Spencer slide to 28? (forgetting the rules of this game for a second)

I know you're not high on Houston, but I'd love a 'Revis/Houston at 24 and Spencer at 28' first round.

Last edited:

wrt your draft, is there a CB besides Wilson, that you would take if available at 24, and risk letting Spencer slide to 28? (forgetting the rules of this game for a second)

I know you're not high on Houston, but I'd love a 'Revis/Houston at 24 and Spencer at 28' first round.

If Revis is there at 24, he's the guy. If not, I want Wilson, whom I'd prefer to draft in the 35-45 range. So yes, I'd take Revis at 24 and Spencer at 28 in that scenario.

Last edited:

The original or the "mother of all trades"?

The original or the "mother of all trades"?

Both were very good I thought. Even though I'm not sold on Willis, and don't think he's worth a significant trade up, he's definitely a good player, and I'm very happy with the rest of your draft.

Now that we know exactly where we're drafting, it's an excuse to do this again:

24 Anthony Spencer LB Purdue

28 Okay, I'm finally calling for a trade. I just can't believe that BB will allow nearly two full rounds to go by before taking a pick. Patriots trade the #28 to Tampa Bay for the #64 pick and 2nd round and fourth rounders in 2008. Bruce Allen and Jon Gruden are reportedly on a Playoffs-or-your-Jobs ultimatum, so they could make a deal like this.

64 David Harris LB Michigan. I was waiting for either Harris or Josh Wilson to come off the board, then trade up to grab the other. The way it worked out, they're both still here.

91 Fred Bennett DB South Carolina. I think he's more suited to a free safety role in the bigs, but he definitely is versatile enough to cover on the outside and in the slot as well.

127 Trade Up. Patriots trade this pick + #180 to Carolina and move up to #115. They take Paul Solai NT Utah. As much as I like Mike Wright, he can't hold the middle.

171 Some great value in this spot. DeAndre Jackson CB Iowa St

180 Traded.

202 Jeff Rowe QB Nevada

208 Herb Taylor OT TCU

209 Mark Fenton C Colorado

247 Brannon Condren S Troy

Top ten UDFA targets (#256+):
Gabe Hall OT Texas Tech
Larry Brown DE Oklahoma St
Chad Nkang SS Elon
Marvn Mitchell ILB Tennessee
Matt Guttierez QB Idaho St
Marquies Gunn OLB Auburn
Reggie Merriweather RB Clemson
Jonathan Allan TE Norfolk St
Eldra Buckley RB Chattanooga
Robin Gamble OLB Miles[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Now that we know exactly where we're drafting, it's an excuse to do this again
Good draft, I like the 2 extra picks for 2008 plus defense gets younger, the LB core would look great with Colvin, Thomas, Vrabel, Bruschi, Harris, Spencer, Woods, Mays, Izzo and Alexander.

Not sold on Bennett, maybe he can play Safety but as a CB he is shaky.

No trades, who I want to see picked not who I think the Patriots will pick. Based on Foxlist, http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6421386

PATRIOTS
1 - 24 - Chris Houston CB Arkansas
1 - 28 - Anthony Spencer DE Purdue
3 - 91 - Tanard Jackson FS Syracuse
4 - 127 - Zak DeOssie ILB Brown - why not
5 - 171 (COMP) - Dwayne Wright RB Fresno State
6 - 180 - DeAndre Jackson CB Iowa State
6 - 202 - Ryne Robinson WR Miami (OHIO)
6 - 208 (COMP) - Dallas Sartz OLB Southern Cal
6 - 209 (COMP) - Desmond Bishop ILB California
7 - 247 (COMP) - Dallas Baker WR Florida

UDFA
  • Matt King, DE\OLB, Maine - 6'3, 257, 4.69 - good size speed ratio, productive in 1AA, 10.5 sacks in 06
  • Ded Harrington, ILB, Missouri -6-3, 248 , 4.68 - good size speed ratio
  • Danny Verdun Wheeler, OLB, Georgia - 6'2, 248, 4.69 - good size speed ratio
  • Craig Dahl, SS, North Dakota State - 6'2, 216, 4.53 - "Dahl is considered by some to be among the top special teams prospects in this draft"
  • Roy Hall, WR, Ohio State - 6'2, 229 - 4.46 - great size, top program
  • Ryan Moore, WR, Miami - 6'2, 217 - 4.54 - character all other concerns, was highly recruited out of HS
  • D.D. Terry, RB, Sam Houston State - 6'1, 196 - 4.46 - RB/WR/KR - appears to be an athelete without a position, if he likes football maybe he can be groomed to be a ST player and potential backup
  • Jeff Rowe, QB, Nevada - 6-5, 226 - threw for close to 3,000 yards 2 years in a row, 36-22 TD ratio (21-10 as a senior), 34 starts
  • Mike DeVito, DT, Maine - 6'4, 295, 4.92 - any Maine fans out there?

Last edited:
Fox updated their rankings two days ago...interesting that Leonard crept up 4-5 spots to #46...Bradley was dropped out of the top 100, about a 12 place move...fan favorite Spencer is now projected to the second round...with that note, it's time to mock.

The reshuffled ranking creates less pressure for possible trade partners, rebuilding teams with critical needs are starting to look as if they can stay put and get help. I don't see any good reason to project a trade...a Pats' BPA player seems the best choice.

24: Justin Harrell (Tennessee) - Team leader, gutsy and tough, prototypical 3-4 DE.

28: Brian Leonard (Rutgers) - It's a toss up between Leonard or one of Staley/Ugoh. The clincher is late round quality at the position - there are some good second day OTs.

91: Stewart Bradley (Nebraska) - My #1 3-4 LB prospect.

127: Jay Moore (Nebraska) - A potential 3-4 OLB who can be bulked up to play DE if he doesn't pan out, he looked smooth in LB drills at the Combine and has been used in coverage at Nebraska.

171: DeAndre Jackson (Iowa State) - The first CB/Returner from that system worked out okay.

180: Gabe Hall (Texas Tech) - Nice young OT for Dante.

202: Jacob Ford (Central Arkansas) - Yet another DE to develop at LB.

208: Craig Dahl (North Dakota State) - Good sized athletic Safety/STs' Ace.

209: Usama Young (Kent State) - Pees liked him the first time around.

247: Will Herring (Auburn) - SS/4-3 OLB from a good program.

UDFA:
QB Cullen Finnerty (Grand Valley State)
QB Matt Moore (Oregon State)
TE Dan Murray (Connecticut)
RB Clifton Dawson (Harvard)
RB Justise Hairston (Central Connecticut State)
OT/OG Cory Niblock (Florida State)
OT Eddie Keele (BYU)
OG Tucker Peterson (New Hampshire)
OC/OG Darnell Stapleton (Rutgers)
WR Aaron Fairooz (Central Arkansas)
WR/PR Syndric Steptoe (Arizona)
CB John Talley (Duke)
CB Marquice Cole (Northwestern)
CB John Bowie (Cincinnati)
CB William Gay (Louisville)
S David Lofton (Stanford)
S Ryan Glasper (BC)
NT Ola Dagunduro (Nebraska)
NT Kelly Talavou (Utah)
DE Mike DeVito (Maine)
LB Ded Harrington (Missouri)
LB Matt King (Maine)
LB Edgar Jones (Southeast Missouri State)
K Brian Wingert (Northern Iowa)

This is the "stay put" mock draft. Assuming no trades. It's hard enough predicting who BB would take on draft day no less keep up with all the possible trades!

Used the Foxsports rankings as per the rules.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6421386

24 Chris Houston CB, Arkansas, 5-10, 185, 4.32
The best defensive player left on the board. An excellent press corner, fast, and tough as nails. I think Beason is undersized for our system but he would be a secondary possibility here if BB believed he could gain weight without affecting playing speed/agility too much.

28 Joe Staley LT, Central Michigan, 6-6, 306, 4.78
A tall and very athletic tackle that projects to be the long overdue replacement for Matt Light. At worst he will step right in at RT and take over LT later when he is more seasoned. Tedd Ginn Jr. is tempting here but I think he slipped for a reason. Ginn would be an excellent returner as well but I find it hard to believe that he can crack the crowded starting lineup at WR.

91 Stewart Bradley LB, Nebraska, 6-4, 254, 4.72
The best linebacker available. I've already addressed corner, I am leery of Buster Davis' lack of size, and quite frankly the players listed from 90-100 didn't impress me as better prospects.

123 Zak Deossie LB, Brown, 6-5, 250, 4.58
Ideal size, good speed, good bloodlines, and connections to BB. This screams out Patriots football player to me. Oh look I doubled up on linebackers. Who said I wasn't showing that position any love? Well when the value fits, I will.

160 John Wendling S, Wyoming, 6-1, 222, 4.48
My first sleeper pick. The best free safety left imo, with excellent size/speed ratio. He comes from a small school and does have some blemishes on his game. But I think that BB can coach him up into something special. I considered Sepulveda at this spot but seeing as he is ranked #143 I couldn't fit him into my draft.

165 Chris Henry RB, 5-11, Arizona, 230, 4.40
My second sleeper comes at runningback. This kid has got some serious speed and was the fastest runningback tested at the combine. A great change of pace guy that could succeed Kevin Faulk or might turn into something more. This pick is based purely on upside and I am unashamed to say it because what an upside it is.

187 David Ball WR, 6-1, New Hampshire, 196, 4.65
A Troy Brown type receiver that doesn't have great speed but has great hands and knows how to get open. I don't know if his game will be as versatile as Browns but this late in the draft we can afford to take a flyer on a possession receiver and see if he sticks.

192 Usama Young CB, 5-11, Kent State, 196, 4.40
I'd like to claim credit for this sleeper but a lot of scouts have already been put on alert by Young running 4.40 TWICE on his pro day as well as featuring a 43 inch vertical! One of the most athletic db's in the entire draft, I think this is the perfect pick to take a chance on finding a diamond in the rough.

193 Desmond Bishop LB, 6-2, California, 239. 4.78
A bit undersized but this late in the draft you're gonna get guys like this. An experienced run stopper that projects to play at SILB. Made some big plays for Cal and is worth a flyer at this point in the draft. I would have preferred to take him with pick #224 but he was ranked 222 overall by Fox. I considered taking a QB here instead of another linebacker but I figure the chances of a late round rookie QB sticking are so low the Pats are more likely to sign a vet backup instead. Unless BB gets a real good tipoff, ala Brady, expect them not to take a QB on draft day.

224 Brad Ekewekeru WR, Missouri, 6-4, 209, 4.48
For my final sleeper pick I thought I should get someone that would have you scrambling for your draft guides. A sleeper in every sense of the word, this guy impressed scouts at his pro day by running his 40 in 4.40 seconds flat, a 3.88 shuttle, and an amazing 6.62 3 cone time. This guy could just be a workout wonder but his size/speed combo makes him more than worthy of my 7th round sleeper pick. Come on Ekewekeru, make me look like a genius!

I hope you enjoyed my draft. The fun part of the draft actually started on the second day when I could dig for some real sleepers. Obviously I'd be content with this draft, but how would you guys feel about it?

[EDIT] Bah looks like our draft pick order changed. I went off the order set out on the first page. I might redo this with the new pick order later, but not right now.

Last edited:
last day in March:

24 Chris Houston, CB
28 Michael griffin,FS
91Stewrt Bradley, OLB
127 Daren Stone, SS
171.Chris Henry, RB
180.Desmond Bishop, ILB
202. Anthony Waters, ILB
208 Jordon Palmer. QB
209 PrescottBurgess, OLB
247. Jeff Samardiga, WR ND- signed with BB but we draft and have rights to him if BB doesn't work.

As I mentioned before, I want new balls. I want balls with the 4X SB Champions logo.

Drafting Willis would help me get new balls. It's all about the balls.:rocker:

Aww jeez(ten characters)

Unless the NFL has a mechanism that allows players to say "Do not allow teams to draft me," I can't see how it wouldn't be "legal."

It's legal. Bo Jackson, Drew Henson, Brian Jordan, and Raghib Ismail (slightly different circumstance) were all drafted although they were committed to baseball/CFL.

The problem with Samardija is that he's a left handed pitcher, which pretty much is all you need to make the major leagues for 12 years.

The other problem is that even after 3-4 years he quits to play football:

1) The Patriots rights to him will have expired (2 years after the draft I believe)

2) He won't have played football in 3-4 years. To my knowledge nobody's been able to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back