PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Deion info from Felger (Merged: Branch and his agent plan to sue)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Branch and his agent plan to sue......

Isn't it amazing, the non stop bullcrap the Branch Camp has been spattering in the press, and nary a peep from the Pats? You gotta love it. Walk softly and carry a big stick, said Teddy Roosevelt.

Re: New Deion info from Felger

DonBlackmon55 said:
Bobs My Uncle said:
Pats726 said:
If the Jets and Hawks wanted him soooooooooooooo badly, offer their #1 and case closed. Chayut should be asking the Jets or Hawks to fork over the pick, since they are willing to offer him MEGA $$. Works both ways.
Apparently the Pats never responded back to their proposal. Almost like they wanted to pay Chayut and company back for not countering their original proposal. Had the Pats countered it's quite possible that Chayut could have brokered a betterment of the 2nd round offering. Therein apparently lies the basis for one of their (good faith) claims.

DonBlackmon55 said:
If money is not an issue, why threaten to sue to Pats for the salary difference between Jets offer and his 2006 Salary. Heck its only 5 Mill more. What's another 5 Mill from a $36Mill contract.
At this point they'll threaten to sue anyone and anybody for anything. Chayut, in particular, is looking to create a ruckus, he wants bad PR for the Pats and for the league so that he might get them to sor this out by trading his client to another team.

DonBlackmon55 said:
Your hypothesis is skewed and myopic.
It's playing out almost exactly as some of us worried it would.

Patriotic Fervor said:
Given the realities of this case, neither of those are really options, let alone valid ones.

No, what we are witnessing is a classic exercise in futility, nothing more, nothing less. Even the proverbial snowball in hell has a better chance than the exercise of these "options".

Boy, you sure view the real world a bit differently than the rest of us!
You don't get it!

They don't give two hoots how realistic their chances are at success in these hearings. Their intention is to "go TO" on this, drag it out for as long as they can, while generating as much bad PR as posible for both the Pats and for the league in HOPES that either the Pats or the league puts a stop to it before it gets any uglier.

Bobs My Uncle said:
DonBlackmon55 said:
Bobs My Uncle said:
Apparently the Pats never responded back to their proposal. Almost like they wanted to pay Chayut and company back for not countering their original proposal. Had the Pats countered it's quite possible that Chayut could have brokered a betterment of the 2nd round offering. Therein apparently lies the basis for one of their (good faith) claims.

At this point they'll threaten to sue anyone and anybody for anything. Chayut, in particular, is looking to create a ruckus, he wants bad PR for the Pats and for the league so that he might get them to sor this out by trading his client to another team.

It's playing out almost exactly as some of us worried it would.

Only the fans, media, and the Peeon's agent/lawyers are the worried ones. Pats FO has said nothing and don't seem to be perturbed about the actions camp Peeon/Chayut are taking.

In the end, Peeon loses if Pats decide to, ahem, stand "Pat".

Have fun paying that mortgage this year Peeon.:rocker:

Bobs My Uncle said:
You don't get it!

They don't give two hoots how realistic their chances are at success in these hearings. Their intention is to "go TO" on this, drag it out for as long as they can, while generating as much bad PR as posible for both the Pats and for the league in HOPES that either the Pats or the league puts a stop to it before it gets any uglier.

"BINGO" WE HAVE "BINGO."

The pats are gonna do what is best for them, period. They aren't gonna be "forced" into trading deion because of the "bad PR"... Have you not followed the patriots the last 5 years?

If they get a trade offer that they feel is equal or more valuable than deion then they will trade him, otherwise they will not. Period. They won't win a grievance, they wont get anything out of a lawsuit. It's just stuff for the media to talk about and BB will focus on his football team.

Quit saying this is some brilliant move by Chayut, it's nothing but desparation and trying to stand up to their perceived bully. The patriots will go forward, business as usual. We got football games to win

Bobs My Uncle said:

Absolutely. Many have posted legal and neo-legal reasons why the Pats can't lose, but the grievance proceeding and all the reasons why the Pats will win are irrelevant. The Branch camp, backed by the NFLPA and their lawyers, are after more, and it's purely business. If pigs do fly and the Branch camp wins the grievance, then (from their perspective) fantastic, but they go in knowing they will almost certainly lose. This is the TO strategy without TO. There is much at stake, but the Pats are the right organization to win this affair, including the grievance and beyond. I just wonder if Branch is prepared to sacrifice a good chunk of his career for the cause of the NFLPA...and whether his advisors are truly representing his best interests.

Bobs My Uncle said:
You don't get it!

"If you and Daddy won't let me have that candy before supper, I'll hold my breath! And you'll be sorry!!!!!!!!"

You might see it that way. They might see it that way, but I prefer to abide with Einstein's dictum - Never confuse motion with action.

The Pats' front office has a very good legal team that they pay very well for working in exercises such as this. I don't think the Pats' front office, legal team, coaching staff, or cleaning employees are are impressed with this adolescent display of wheel-spinning, let alone worried by it.

Any chance you're a newspaper writer? They're always very easily impressed.

And RAWKY, maybe you'd better stay at the senior center a little longer to find out exactly what B-I-N-G-O is.

I think we may have a thread of 11 pages based on a bit of a misunderstanding. I doubt Kessler was suggesting he would actually try to go to court to bring the claim for compensation. The boston herald article doesn't say that.

The bottom line is that the CBA is as close to bullet proof on this point as can be -- this kind of dispute is subject to binding arbitration. There can be no court. I think the only new piece of news is that Branch is going to seek IN ARBITRATION not merely a trade here but to hold the Patriots responsible for the contract he says he would have received. But he has to make that claim in arbitration not court (unless the Patriots, the NFL, the NFLPA, and Branch were all to agree that it could be brought in court, which actually wouldn't be a bad thing for the Pats).

I think the issue about whether to consolidate the cases is based on the fact that there are two different procedures for Branch's two different claims, so they probably cannot be consoidated.

I also don't think I would demonize Chayut on this one. This is all Kessler and the Union pushing the limits.

In any event, there is nothing really new about this claim. The theory is the same -- the Patriots breached an implied promise. The only thing that's different is what relief Branch is seeking.

Finally, though I doubt any one cares, the Shakespeare quote about lawyers does not mean what those of you mentioning it think it means.

PatsFaninAZ said:
I think we may have a thread of 11 pages based on a bit of a misunderstanding. I doubt Kessler was suggesting he would actually try to go to court to bring the claim for compensation. The boston herald article doesn't say that.

The bottom line is that the CBA is as close to bullet proof on this point as can be -- this kind of dispute is subject to binding arbitration. There can be no court. I think the only new piece of news is that Branch is going to seek IN ARBITRATION not merely a trade here but to hold the Patriots responsible for the contract he says he would have received. But he has to make that claim in arbitration not court (unless the Patriots, the NFL, the NFLPA, and Branch were all to agree that it could be brought in court, which actually wouldn't be a bad thing for the Pats).

I think the issue about whether to consolidate the cases is based on the fact that there are two different procedures for Branch's two different claims, so they probably cannot be consoidated.

I also don't think I would demonize Chayut on this one. This is all Kessler and the Union pushing the limits.

In any event, there is nothing really new about this claim. The theory is the same -- the Patriots breached an implied promise. The only thing that's different is what relief Branch is seeking.

Finally, though I doubt any one cares, the Shakespeare quote about lawyers does not mean what those of you mentioning it think it means.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobs My Uncle said:
Failing that I think Chayut is banking on the league coercing Kraft into settling this (ie trading Branch) for the good of the league.

How is encouraging players to break valid contracts "for the good of the league". What are you smoking? The NFL has to be firmly behind the Pats. The integrity of the league is at stake here. Burn Branch burn. :bricks:

The fact that Deion and Company are willing to go so far to just antagonize the Patriots at this point (it could serve no other purpose) says just how much he wants to leave New England. The fact that he's got all of you angry enough that you won't bother to comment on the Buffalo game means it's working.

EDIT: But then again, luckily it's the coolheaded Bill Belichick in charge. Losing players, no big deal - Terry Glenn/Drew Bledsoe, Milloy/Colvin, Law

Last edited:

Steve1iron said:
How is encouraging players to break valid contracts "for the good of the league". What are you smoking? The NFL has to be firmly behind the Pats. The integrity of the league is at stake here. Burn Branch burn. :bricks:
The "good for the league" comment was not meant for how I feel but rather what Chayut obviously feels. I mean he's got no other sane reason for doing this but to bank on the league not wanting to see this drag on.

Patriotic Fervor said:
This points up to what is wrong with America today.

The problem is, the lawyers now run everything. EVERYTHING!!!!

Non-elected, held responsible to no one, this is the segment of society that most bears watching.

With each passing day, it becomes more and more apparent that Shakespeare was right.

What a sad commentary on our times.

I agree. Lawyers suck.

Bobs My Uncle said:
The "good for the league" comment was not meant for how I feel but rather what Chayut obviously feels. I mean he's got no other sane reason for doing this but to bank on the league not wanting to see this drag on.

You called what this guy is doing brilliant. Yet, in this post you are saying he is doing exactly what a baby does when they can't get what they want... cry and cry and cry until the parent gives in... brillliant!

Bobs My Uncle said:
One other point.

I highly doubt that Chayut and company truly believe that they'll win. All they want is the threat of the legal proceedings and the ugliness that such proceedings offers as a way to resolve this issue by a) forcing the Pats to make a deal to stop this mess from continuing at a time when a new season is starting b) hoping the league will step in and broker a deal to stop the bad PR such a fiasco is creating.

In the end Chayut just wants his client in another uniform and with a new deal so that they both make more money. He doesn't gave two craps about how he gets it done.

Problem is, they're dealing with the wrong guy.

BB is prepared to start the season without Branch, trade Branch, or take him back under his terms.

In the meantime, he's got a couple new receivers and enough RBs and TEs to go along with the best line we've seen in a long time.

It's no accident people call BB a robot. He's not, but when it comes to stuff like this he's totally unemotional and focused on whichever game is that week.

You think Branch is going to stay strong while he's losing tons in fines every week and probably losing his value as time goes by?

No matter how brainwashed he is, he's eventually going to say, "what am I getting out of this, anyway"?

kurtinelson said:
I agree. Lawyers suck.

"Any town so small that it cannot support a lawyer can always support two."

"What is black and brown and looks good on a lawyer?"
"A pair of Dobermans."

The problem here from the start was Branch's decision to hold-out, and we shouldn't forget that. Hold-out's are easy to start but tough to end. Suppose Branch hadn't hold out, but had reported to camp on time and then asked to be traded. It would have been vastly easier to work out.

I doubt the Pat's or the league mind Branch sitting there for a couple of weeks not getting paid, because it's an example to other players. They also know that to most fans Branch's salary of over $60,000 a game is a huge amount of money. Now Chayut is threatening to sue, which seems like an obvious act of desperation.

PatsFaninAZ said:

The bottom line is that the CBA is as close to bullet proof on this point as can be -- this kind of dispute is subject to binding arbitration. There can be no court.

That was my thought and my first Post, question, concerning this matter some oh 8 or 9 pages ago.

How can this lawyer threaten to Sue when all parties have already agreed to binding abritration in the CBA agreement.

Too top it off, unless i am misreading these post which may very well be as they are not all in sequence, it is appears to be a CBA Union lawyer who is making this threat to sue.

Patriotic Fervor said:
And RAWKY, maybe you'd better stay at the senior center a little longer to find out exactly what B-I-N-G-O is.

Well in all fairness the dictionary agrees with my useage of this term in this manner.

bin·go [ bíng gō ]

noun

Definition:
2. exclamation of success: used to express satisfaction at sudden success or achievement

When after elven pages someone succinctly expresses the crux of the issue "an exclamation of success" is, in my oppinion, in order, with a dash of humor of course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back