PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Deion info from Felger (Merged: Branch and his agent plan to sue)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Deion info from Felger

Bobs My Uncle said:
Personally I think it's brilliant what the agent Chayut is doing for his client. He's forcing the Pats ( or the league to force the Pats) into trading his client before his contract runs out so that both can make more money when all is said and done.

Only brilliant if one does not like NFL football.

If these attempts are succesful they might as well throw out the CBA and model there emplyment agreements after baseball.

Make no mistake this is an attempt to break the CBA agreement and have every player become auction fodder each and every year.

It will destroy all the peace, harmony and parity that has made the NFL so successful.

This little greedy idiot is attempting to destroy everyones golden goose.

But all he can see is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

If successful he will have achieved infamy if nothign else.

Bobs My Uncle said:
Not as brilliant as securing a trade I suppose. But not too bad as franchise money isn't chump change. Even if one has to lose some short term coin to get it.

I suspect that it is the intent of Chaut to force the Pats to trade Deion so this mess goes away. Failing that I think Chayut is banking on the league coercing Kraft into settling this (ie trading Branch) for the good of the league. Thru the help of the Patriots I think Chayut is well on his way to accomplisng his goal. Had the Pats simply remined silent thru all of this then this mess wouldn't be where it's at.

Wrong! Deion succeeding in getting traded and getting a new contract, as he wants, is the LAST thing the NFL wants to see happen. Letting a player break his contract early against his team's wishes is hardly in the best interests of the NFL. The only way I see the NFL getting involved would be to broker a deal, such as suggested by AzPatsFan, where the Pats get 2 #1 picks from the team that acquires Branch, thus making the cost of acquiring such a player so prohibitive, that the precedent will discourage teams in the future from acquiring malcontents in this manner.

Bobs My Uncle said:
Thru the help of the Patriots I think Chayut is well on his way to accomplisng his goal. Had the Pats simply remined silent thru all of this then this mess wouldn't be where it's at.
Huh??? Chuyut is basically going to tie it up in the courts and DB gets nothing in the interim..what okanet are you on???

Bob Kraft must be kicking himself in the butt for agreeing with BB and

Scott Pioli to let Jayson Chayut seek a trade to determine Deon's value.

The situation is now so hopelessly screwed up that the parties involved will

never find a solution on their own. The lawyers probably will.

A fair salary for Deon and also a fair trade package will determined by

the arbitrator and the lawyers. The Pats will be told to choose one

or the other.

PatsFanSince74 said:
OK, I'm not a lawyer, but I understand that there's a Napoleonic Legal Code and an Anglo-American Legal Code. What is suggested above would be, to use the technical legal terminology, "Whacko," under either.

So, I can only conclude that Deion is breaking new legal ground here. What should we call it? The "Branch-Deionian Code?"

Yes you are right and so is sueing McDonalds for getting fat, but people still do it.

Jimke said:
A fair salary for Deon and also a fair trade package will determined by the arbitrator and the lawyers. The Pats will be told to choose one or the other.
I don't think they can be told any such thing, they have a contract. It's different from the Owens situation because in that case he would have become a UFA if not for an oversight by his agent. Our situation has nothing to do with a simply error.

RAWKY said:
I guess i have a question....

if in fact the CBA is a legal agreement and the hope is that it is, considering the entire NFL depends on it...what court will allow a law suit over it rights if binding abritration is agreed to by the parties...ie NFL and the Players union....

Or will this be a personal loss law suit outside the paramiters of the CBA like a personal injury suit?
I look at this as an admission that Kessler has jurisdictional issues with his arbitration complaints. The CBA allows "non-injury grievances" for issues involving: (1) the CBA, (2) the Player Contract, or (3) the League Constitution or By-Laws. Deion's argument is a claim for enforcement of an oral agreement made over the phone to his agent. That falls into NONE of those categories. I'm sure he'll try to say that this is an issue involving the administration of the Player Contract, but that's a coinflip.

So, Kessler has told us all that, if he loses his arbitrations, he'll file for damages in court. As someone else pointed out, if his grievance is arbitrable, then he has no option for court. So Kessler is as much as telling us all that he sees the possibility that his case will be kicked as a non-arbitrable grievance, and therefore his only remedy would be for monetary damages in court. And good luck with THAT one.

Last edited:

Bobs My Uncle said:
Personally I think it's brilliant what the agent Chayut is doing for his client. He's forcing the Pats ( or the league to force the Pats) into trading his client before his contract runs out so that both can make more money when all is said and done.

Totally wrong. He hasn't forced the Pats to do anything they don't want to do. I am gonna laugh so hard when deion shows up for game ten and he is told to go home with pay, the the franchise tag is slapped on him.

patchick said:
It was my understanding that under the CBA, you don't sue over contract disputes. You go to binding arbitration. If you could sue over breaches of player contracts, it would be the Patriots suing Branch right now.

(By the way everybody, it's a breach, not breech. If you say Deion's "in breech," it means he's ass-side up. Oh wait, maybe that is what you mean....)

LOL. Would it be proper to say he is being "breeched" by his agent?

Jimke said:
Bob Kraft must be kicking himself in the butt for agreeing with BB and

Scott Pioli to let Jayson Chayut seek a trade to determine Deon's value.

The situation is now so hopelessly screwed up that the parties involved will

never find a solution on their own. The lawyers probably will.

A fair salary for Deon and also a fair trade package will determined by

the arbitrator and the lawyers. The Pats will be told to choose one

or the other.

What the heck are you talking about??? Besides the number of years that the Pats offered, what is the difference in money? You have bought the media opinion hook line and sinker. The Pats offered a very fair package already. You need to figure out what you are talking about before posting.

emoney_33 said:
Yup, all the pats had to do was remain silent and Deion/Chayut would have magically seen the light and negotiated...
Never said that Branch would have negotiated.

What I am saying is that had the Pats simply remained silent and never allowed Chayit the option to seek a trade then they would never have given Chayut the option or ability to seek arbitration and/or legal recourse. The second the Pats allowed Branch to seek a trade was the second that Chayut got what he wanted.

The Gr8est said:
Wrong! Deion succeeding in getting traded and getting a new contract, as he wants, is the LAST thing the NFL wants to see happen. Letting a player break his contract early against his team's wishes is hardly in the best interests of the NFL. The only way I see the NFL getting involved would be to broker a deal, such as suggested by AzPatsFan, where the Pats get 2 #1 picks from the team that acquires Branch, thus making the cost of acquiring such a player so prohibitive, that the precedent will discourage teams in the future from acquiring malcontents in this manner.
Sounds like some of deals brokered for coaches like the compensation given for Parcell, Belichik, and Gruden. I agree I could see the NFL forcing a team to give such compensation, but I'm not sure under what pretenses.

As for Deion, he's looking for big money, but IF he was smart he would just play out this contract. The next year he is either a free agent or get franchised. I don't see the tragedy of being franchised because he will be guaranteed a boat laod of money(I'm not sure how much, maybe somebody could help me out, but I'm guessing 8 million plus). SO he plays that year out and is still a free agent if he doesn't get the deal he wants and is franchised again. He gets another big guaranteed paycheck. That is almost his signing bonus or guaranteed money which I can't recall is. And I'm sure the Pats will certainly not continue to keep paying this large franchise price, so he gets traded to a team that gives him his long term deal or he enters free agency with a big bank account in his prime ready to sign a huge lucrative deal.

It certainly worked for Charles Woodson and John Abraham, but I guess Deion doesn't think he'll be injury free or will enter free agency in his prime.

What's the tragedy in being franchised?

Bobs My Uncle said:
Never said that Branch would have negotiated.

What I am saying is that had the Pats simply remained silent and never allowed Chayit the option to seek a trade then they would never have given Chayut the option or ability to seek arbitration and/or legal recourse. The second the Pats allowed Branch to seek a trade was the second that Chayut got what he wanted.

Prove it... Prove that Chayut and Branch would have went silently to their homes for ten weeks or something of the sort if the patriots didn't allow him to seek a trade. You have NO idea how far Chayut would have taken this thing without being allowed to seek a trade.

This grievance they are filing is laughable, what makes you think they wouldn't have made something up to file even without being given permission to seek a trade?

The brat camp cannot win otherwise the NFL will be run by brats and it will destroy one of the things I love most about the NFL.

BTW one of the grievances is failure to negotiate in good faith or whatever... No need to allow him to seek a trade for them to file that one. They want money, and they want it NOW. Too bad they won't get it

Bobs My Uncle said:

and what about what chayut has done for himself. what rookie or vet player looking to trade agents will ever come within a phone call of this guy. bye bye career for chayut. Deion will officially be dead to me if he is not suited up on sunday (which we all have come to conclusion will not happen)

Deion stands to lose a lot of money and playing time so his agent can make a reputation.

I hate to cast aspersions, but does anyone know Branch's wonderlik?

Deion stands to lose a lot of money and playing time so his agent can make a reputation.

I hate to cast aspersions, but does anyone know Branch's wonderlic?

The Gr8est said:
I never said it's what the NFL wants to happen.

I said it's what Chayut wants to happen.

By now is should be plain to everyone that Chayut's goal from the get go was to get his client traded prior to his contract ending. Apparently Chayut and his client are prepared to go to whatever length to see to that end. If that means having to lose out on a year's worth of NFL salary for Branch in order that the Pats relent in their desire to hold off this fiasco, either by their own accord or by way of the NFL helping to broker a trade, then so be it.

It's getting uglier by the day. Just like what Chayut wants to happen. Just like what the Pats allowed to happen by allowing him to seek a trade in the first place.

Bobs My Uncle said:
I never said it's what the NFL wants to happen.

I said it's what Chayut wants to happen.

By now is should be plain to everyone that Chayut's goal from the get go was to get his client traded prior to his contract ending. Apparently Chayut and his client are prepared to go to whatever length to see to that end. If that means having to lose out on a year's worth of NFL salary for Branch in order that the Pats relent in their desire to hold off this fiasco, either by their own accord or by way of the NFL helping to broker a trade, then so be it.

It's getting uglier by the day. Just like what Chayut wants to happen. Just like what the Pats allowed to happen by allowing him to seek a trade in the first place.

You are basically implying that Chayut is smarter than BB and he knew they would let him seek a trade...

I believe that a brat got caught off guard, and got upset with this move by BB and is now refusing to give up and wants to just stick it to the pats and do his best to "WIN" this battle

emoney_33 said:
Prove it... Prove that Chayut and Branch would have went silently to their homes for ten weeks or something of the sort if the patriots didn't allow him to seek a trade. You have NO idea how far Chayut would have taken this thing without being allowed to seek a trade.
They wouldn't have any options had the Pats never offered up the trade proposal in the first place.

It's the trade proposal offering (and the subsequent actions that the Pats took to not respond back on the trade offerings) that have stemmed the no faith dealings accusations that has resulted in the request for arbitration hearings. Without the trade proposals they'd have no recourse.

Many of us in here mentioned this possibility at the time the Pats made the trade proposal and wondered what bad might happen. We were met with disapproval (even had our allegince to the Pats questioned) by many in here but we are now seeing it into fruition.

Bobs My Uncle said:
What I am saying is that had the Pats simply remained silent and never allowed Chayit the option to seek a trade then they would never have given Chayut the option or ability to seek arbitration and/or legal recourse.
Sorry man, this thing has become so mindnumbingly illogical and strange, I wouldn't bet on that. What you're saying makes sense on the surface, but at this point, I wouldn't put anything past this Chayut goomba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back