PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Defense Speed Package

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its a very interesting wrinkle, basically because our base defense is inherently slow, partly due to design and partly due to personnel. When you put in this package, you now have more speed on the field than any offense.

I would worry about an offense' s ability to audible against it though. I assume this is a third and long defense, but now that offenses have seen this, they are going to have an answer (power running would be an obvious adjustment).

It'd be interesting to look at down and yardage scenarios where this package was employed...hopefully Reiss or someone can provide.

i only wathced the 2nd half, but at some point i noticed that a number 59 was in the field a lot...and i had no idea who it was...

and then i saw the Guyton behind the jershey...

any input on how he played?

i think BB also knew where to push martz. his ego. he knew that inspite of this look , he wouldnt run the ball even when invited. here is the espn blog snippet

ESPN - Exciting not good enough for 49ers - NFC West

The game turned against the 49ers for good after San Francisco emptied the backfield and went with four receivers on a second-and-2 play midway through the third quarter. The high-risk gambit absolved the Patriots from worrying about their No. 1 priority on defense: stopping Frank Gore on the ground.

Safety Rodney Harrison pounced at the rare opportunity, picking off 49ers quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan at the San Francisco 24. The Patriots converted the gift into a touchdown. A tenuous three-point lead became a 10-point cushion, 24-14.

i expect this speed package less next week against the chargers and maybe a 4-3 D more.

Guyton seemed to play just fine... no huge mistakes anyway.

i think BB also knew where to push martz. his ego. he knew that inspite of this look , he wouldnt run the ball even when invited. here is the espn blog snippet

ESPN - Exciting not good enough for 49ers - NFC West

i expect this speed package less next week against the chargers and maybe a 4-3 D more.
The Pats repeatedly had Green and Wright as the sole down linemen, yet the 49ers didn't even bother running Gore up the gut. I wouldn't call it a speed defense as much as I'd call it a dare-Martz-to-run defense and he didn't. Nolan was seriously outcoached after the 1st quarter.

Regards,
Chris

Was Mayo's absence from this package a result of the undisclosed injury (the cast on his arm) or a result of coverage mishaps in the Miami game?

Was Mayo's absence from this package a result of the undisclosed injury (the cast on his arm) or a result of coverage mishaps in the Miami game?

I think it was more a matter of leaving the O unsure. They've got a ton of snaps on Mayo studied and zilch on Guyton and not a ton on Woods for this year.

I think it's a really interesting idea, though it didn't jump out at me when I was watching. I wouldn't want to be a QB staring that in the face on a passing down.

Did it account for all the scrambling by O'Sullivan? I admit, there were times when it looked like there two dozen Patriots playing D. Maybe it was during this package.

I think it was more a matter of leaving the O unsure. They've got a ton of snaps on Mayo studied and zilch on Guyton and not a ton on Woods for this year.

Could be, but I think they could've kept Mayo in there and accomplished the same thing I'd think, and just given Mayo different or more varied responsibilities. But you have a point as Mayo's responsibilities seemed pretty predictable, and I think Miami used that against us last week by targeting the center of the field. AD also seemed to struggle w coverage last week, so its hard to pinpoint it just on the rook.

I really like the nickel 2-3-6, they used it against the Jets, and I think that's what they were in when AD had his epic sack. It's almost semantics to say its 2 DL b/c AD and Vrabel are up on the line and were pass rushing. But they could do some interesting things if they can count on Guyton. Maybe you can get AD, Vrabel, Guyton and Mayo on the field at the same time. You'd have 4 guys that have the speed to cover or rush.

I'm still waiting to see some more interior pressure, they did it in preseason vs. the Eagles, and I think it will require the aforementioned linebackers.

Last edited:
But they could do some interesting things if they can count on Guyton. Maybe you can get AD, Vrabel, Guyton and Mayo on the field at the same time. You'd have 4 guys that have the speed to cover or rush.

I think we're also seeing the slow methodical deployment of advanced weaponry.

Cassel suddenly shows every team they have to cover the whole field. Like, more field than Favre can cover, imho.

The O-Line improved/got more in sync with Cassel. I don't get worked up about sacks unless we lose the ball. We simply won't win that battle on every down.

Every couple of weeks a new D-back makes an appearance, or a linebacker.

I think it's broad-scope game-planning. Keep every team a least a little unsure what they're seeing. No amount of film study can help you beat a quality disguise until you've known it intimately.

I add weight to that statement by citing the Dolphins O and The Crying Game.

I've seen this defense run before, its a form of a nickle defense.. Its deployed for the exact reason you all mentioned, put the fastest players on the field. .But it can also be used to confuse the OL.. Hide exactly who is dropping in coverage or who is rushing..

You won't see this defense used regularly until Arizona..

Guyton made an excellent play down near the goal line.

I believe the Niners were in a spread formation and they ran up the middle and Guyton made a quick read and took Gore down at the line of scrimmage. There was room but Guyton didn't let him go and took him down immediately.

Ultimately, the Niners scored, but that was an impressive play and for him to be in there in goal line situtation shows that the coaches trust him, which is the best compliment a rookie can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back