PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New D performs a lot like the old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PushnPencils

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
We made another JAG QB look like a pro bowler.

Giving Henne credit, he made some nice throws. But so many seem to make a lot of nice throws against us.

When teams constantly target your #1 CB...its not a good thing.

McCourty looked a lot more sticky last year. Including preseason, guys are getting way too much seperation on him.

Dowling looked like McCourty did in many games last year.

Does anyone get that whole DB on the line thing?

Guyton has no instincts....zero. Haynesworth drew some holds which was nice, but he looked real slow to me. As did VW. Pryor has a GREAT first step, but is poor with his hands.

I've determined that we don't know how to blitz. Fat bodied DLs on out team are too slow to stunt.

I noticed when our linebackers blitz...they attack the same gap...at the same time......why? They both hit the same hole, get stuck in the bodies around them..an get neutralized.

I'll tell a why I'm disappointed....Rob Ryan is in the process of creating a nice little scheme in Dallas....and our defensive genius is creating defenses that are having the same problem year after year.

Very perplexing. We are nothing but the 80s Chargers.

Last edited:
The defense showed flashes tonight. Too early to give up on them. After that first drive and the the ten yard drive after the Brady INT, the defense did keep the Dolphins out of the end zone until garbage time.

I guess if you ignore the fact that the Phins were 2/14 on on third down I can see your point...

They may not have had many sacks, but they beat the heck out of Henne, hats off to him he stood in there and took some shots and delivered the ball. All due respect, that Marshall kid is pretty good...

I will say this I like Guyton but he cannot play middle linebacker in the 43, maybe in the nickle but get him out of the middle on 1st and 2nd down...

Last edited:
Have you considered tendering your resume for the Patriots DC position?

I have submitted my credentials to the team many times. I didn't find the cease and desist letter from the team's lawyer funny at all.

Last edited:
Listening to WQAM as we post...let's see how THEY look at it...

welp...they're talking college football...hmmmm

Last edited:
By "the old", I'm taking that as last year's defense, so:

The new D forced Henne to make difficult passes under pressure, and got off the field on 3rd down.

That would seem to be almost the opposite of the old defense.

They got the job done. If Brady doesn't throw that pick, they gave up 3 points from the Fins first drive until the garbage time TD.

Yes there is room for improvement, the lack of pass rush is a bit concerning right now. But give em time BB will iron things out as the year goes on.

Give Henne credit, he took 2 big hit from both Pryor and Wilfork. He got hit 3 times by Haynesworth. The D line did a great job on that first and goal, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and goal. The 4th and goal play where Henne overthrew the pass, but even if he threw it accurately, Dowling was right with it. I also notice a huge hit sound by Haynesworth on that play.

Just a thought, but if you don't actually watch the game you shouldn't bother starting threads.

We looked so much better when Haynesworth saw action too. Like visibly better. MIA had two legit, long drives while the game was still winnable. Haynesworth sat during both...until they got to the red zone. Then things got tough for MIA.

First "real" game of the season (new players and the transition from 3-4 to 4-3), I'm giving them time to gel as a unit.

Haynesworth fell down on 1 play.

On another Pryor appeared faster than Albert.

If Wilfork falls and nobody hears it did he really fall?

I guess if you ignore the fact that the Phins were 2/14 on on third down I can see your point...

4-5 on 4th down doesn't cancel your point, but does weaken it some.

They got the job done. If Brady doesn't throw that pick, they gave up 3 points from the Fins first drive until the garbage time TD.

Yes there is room for improvement, the lack of pass rush is a bit concerning right now. But give em time BB will iron things out as the year goes on.

This is exactly correct, and even the pick was a fluky thing, the rest was all garbage time. I thought the defense looked pretty darn good.

Plus Soldier is DA MAN!

By "the old", I'm taking that as last year's defense, so:

The new D forced Henne to make difficult passes under pressure, and got off the field on 3rd down.

That would seem to be almost the opposite of the old defense.

Actually Henne played worse against us last year.....

He made some nice throws as I said in my original post, and some great catches were made, but there were also some guys that were wide open much too often.

We fortunately have the best QB in the game playing for us.

with the idea that typically BB defenses improve as the season progresses I think their start tonight was very encouraging..

They were better than last year's defense in three ways:

1. They have tons of size at corner and didn't get dominated by red zone jump balls. Dowling looked great.

2. When Miami needed one yard, they threw the ball because they didn't have confidence that they would get it running it up the middle, particularly against VW and Big Al.

3. They got to the quarterback a lot on third down and had a lot of QB hits.

I think this D is going to improve. I didn't feel so great about it last year. But they have the athletes and the size to get it done this year.

We made another JAG QB look like a pro bowler.

Giving Henne credit, he made some nice throws. But so many seem to make a lot of nice throws against us.

When teams constantly target your #1 CB...its not a good thing.

McCourty looked a lot more sticky last year. Including preseason, guys are getting way too much seperation on him.

Dowling looked like McCourty did in many games last year.

Does anyone get that whole DB on the line thing?

Guyton has no instincts....zero. Haynesworth drew some holds which was nice, but he looked real slow to me. As did VW. Pryor has a GREAT first step, but is poor with his hands.

I've determined that we don't know how to blitz. Fat bodied DLs on out team are too slow to stunt.

I noticed when our linebackers blitz...they attack the same gap...at the same time......why? They both hit the same hole, get stuck in the bodies around them..an get neutralized.

I'll tell a why I'm disappointed....Rob Ryan is in the process of creating a nice little scheme in Dallas....and our defensive genius is creating defenses that are having the same problem year after year.

Very perplexing. We are nothing but the 80s Chargers.

Wow you keep adding amazing bits of information with every post, did you watch the Dallas game, they lost. The amazing Sanchez was able to beat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back