PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW Conspiracy Theory: Branch/Givens connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Now this is a good one. :D

Here's how the theory goes.

1. Branch and Givens talking about how they get paid so little but were
a big part of winning superbowls. They want a Big Pay day.

2. Over drinks one night they talk about the up comming offseason.
They both realize that the PATs would be hurting if they were both are gone.

3. Givens feels bad for his friend so he says "I'll leave if I get a big offer.
If I get a big offer I won't let PATs match it. That will leave only you. All
you do is hold out for a new contract like Seymour did. They'll really be
hurting without both of us so they'll have to deal with you.

4. Both shake hands, hug, laugh and feel good and agree to follow through.

Thus a conspiracy is born .... what do ya think? :bricks:

Terrible theory. :D

Bad theory. but its sad to think that 2 young recievers who helped us win a lot of big games will most likely not be on the team this year. Not in my wildest dreams did i think we would lose mcginest, vinateri, givens, and possibly branch, and the only FA they signed this offseason caldwell is the only thing they have added. Even though they still have 13 mill in cap space. Where were the backup plans? Im still finding it hard to believe that a team with serious super bowl aspirations could lose this much in one offseason and it having nothing to do with a cap purge. Was the increase in the salary cap to much for the Krafts. now that the Patriots have enough support to survive on their own, do the Krafts want to invest their money in other things beside the football team.

Bad theory. but its sad to think that 2 young recievers who helped us win a lot of big games will most likely not be on the team this year. Not in my wildest dreams did i think we would lose mcginest, vinateri, givens, and possibly branch, and the only FA they signed this offseason caldwell is the only thing they have added. Even though they still have 13 mill in cap space. Where were the backup plans? Im still finding it hard to believe that a team with serious super bowl aspirations could lose this much in one offseason and it having nothing to do with a cap purge. Was the increase in the salary cap to much for the Krafts. now that the Patriots have enough support to survive on their own, do the Krafts want to invest their money in other things beside the football team.

R_T26 said:
Bad theory.......

Bad why? Because two guys don't talk about things like this?
Bad because players don't think owners make huge amounts
of money and most players get scraps? Bad because players
just don't think they are exploited.

R_T26 said:
.................Even though they still have 13 mill in cap space. Where were the backup plans? Im still finding it hard to believe that a team with serious super bowl aspirations could lose this much in one offseason and it having nothing to do with a cap purge. Was the increase in the salary cap to much for the Krafts. now that the Patriots have enough support to survive on their own, do the Krafts want to invest their money in other things beside the football team.

This is an interesting point. We can't say for sure because deals with
players in last year of contract may still happen. But if they don't use
any of the 12+M to re-do contracts then this is an injustice with respect
to the Fans who pay big bucks and expect the best product possible.

To think they could have obtained a few high quality players at Linebacker
and Receiver positions but decided not to use the resources they had
available is sad. PATs are going to do well ...assuming no major injuries
..... but they could have been awesome with no major weakness.

Just one season I like to see no major weakness and quality depth every where.

R_T26 said:
Go become a Skins fan..they always sign a TON of FAs....

JR4 said:
Now this is a good one. :D

Here's how the theory goes.

1. Branch and Givens talking about how they get paid so little but were
a big part of winning superbowls. They want a Big Pay day.

2. Over drinks one night they talk about the up comming offseason.
They both realize that the PATs would be hurting if they were both are gone.

3. Givens feels bad for his friend so he says "I'll leave if I get a big offer.
If I get a big offer I won't let PATs match it. That will leave only you. All
you do is hold out for a new contract like Seymour did. They'll really be
hurting without both of us so they'll have to deal with you.

4. Both shake hands, hug, laugh and feel good and agree to follow through.

Thus a conspiracy is born .... what do ya think? :bricks:

Absolutely plausible. It sure was what happened. Except Deion will be gone, too.

Regards,
Your fellow conspirator

Last edited:
R_T26 said:

They are rebuilding right under your nose....while they win Superbowls...Brilliant if you ask me.

This years team will have the best "O" line & "D" line of the BB era. This years draft was awesome and we have a lot of players that returned to health this season that will be starting next week. Our team will be just fine people.

Think about the FIFTEEN or so draft choices we have stockpiled for next year.

This was not a one-star thread so I had to bring up the average.

Even if they didn't verbalize all that, some of those factors in the original conspiracy post have definitely been in play. There's also an implied premise there: "Deion, you and I HAVE BEEN the New England Patriots. Without the two of us, they'll be as bad as if they lost Seymour and Brady." When in fact, I made a mental note in 2001 and 2002 that you can win with any old decent WRs.

shakadave said:
This was not a one-star thread so I had to bring up the average.

Even if they didn't verbalize all that, some of those factors in the original conspiracy post have definitely been in play. There's also an implied premise there: "Deion, you and I HAVE BEEN the New England Patriots. Without the two of us, they'll be as bad as if they lost Seymour and Brady." When in fact, I made a mental note in 2001 and 2002 that you can win with any old decent WRs.

Exactly, 2001 Super Bowl Champs had a WR corps of Troy Brown, David Patten, Charles Johnson, and ???.

Weishuhn said:
Exactly, 2001 Super Bowl Champs had a WR corps of Troy Brown, David Patten, Charles Johnson, and ???.

Heck I don't even remember who Charles Johnson was.

shakadave said:
Heck I don't even remember who Charles Johnson was.
Former 1st round pick by the Steelers out of Colorado. He stunk in Pittsburgh, got released, and we signed him off the scrap heap. He didn't do anything for us either.

R_T26 said:

This tired drivel is bad enough without double posting it.

Caldwell is the only thing they've added? You must watch games from under a rock.

$12 of that $13M was a one time windfall due to a new CBA in a lean FA year. They plan to spend a goodly chunk of it on Seymour's extension this season, and had planned to spend $5M this year on re-signing Law. Not to mention re-signing Branch to a deal that would have cost $1M more this year and $3-5M more next. They still have Koppen and Graham and Samuel to deal with.

At times I really wish that people who don't have a clue what they are talking about would just choose to read and observe and keep their half baked conclusions to themselves. What is that saying better to let people think you're a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

JR4 said:
Bad why? Because two guys don't talk about things like this?
Bad because players don't think owners make huge amounts
of money and most players get scraps? Bad because players
just don't think they are exploited.

Oh pahleeze not the poor downtrodden NFL player mantra. Those scraps now amount to 60% of the gross, and if some get scraps it's because greedy jerks like Deion Branch think they are more important than team. I wish someone would exploit me for a few million just once....

This is an interesting point. We can't say for sure because deals with
players in last year of contract may still happen. But if they don't use
any of the 12+M to re-do contracts then this is an injustice with respect
to the Fans who pay big bucks and expect the best product possible.

I have three Lombardis that say you are FOS. Go root for some team that never spends to the cap or fields a perrineal loser. Or better yet, ask one of their fans if they'd like to trade trade places with you.

To think they could have obtained a few high quality players at Linebacker
and Receiver positions but decided not to use the resources they had
available is sad. PATs are going to do well ...assuming no major injuries
..... but they could have been awesome with no major weakness.

You just don't get it. Talent is of no use to Belichick unless it can play in this system. Quality is relative and you know less about it than Belichick has forgotten in the last 30 years. If there were a player or players available this off season who could help this team win without disrupting it's salary structure he would have signed them.

Just one season I like to see no major weakness and quality depth every where.

Spoken like a spoiled bandwaggon fan who roots for a team that's won so many time he now feels winning is his birthright.

Weishuhn said:

It has sunk in that Branch is not coming back even just for this year. I then look at the WR's we have and begin to worry. Then I see this post and it is like an elixir that brings back perspective. Why did we win that year with a WR group that was moderately decent at best? At least one big reason is the guy who is the same guy who is positioning the Patriots right now in negotiations with DB. The guy has earned so much faith it's stupid. "Patriot type players" is a phrase in use even outside the Patriot nation. He is considered the "most well prepared team" coach. We get spanked by Buff right after releasing Milloy? What happens? We win the SB. Even last year, we are in disarray at mid season with a patch work secondary. What happens? We end up a couple of uncharacteristic mistakes from the AFC championship in Foxboro. That tells me you never know what this team is capable of with the likes of him and his staff at the helm. Winning comes first and demands it of his players. That makes rooting for the Patriots so easy. I don't want to have to root for guys like TO on my team. That ain't even a worry cause of the way the Patriots do business. Hey, he's not perfect. The DB situation could be one of his mistakes. However, anyone who says he hasn't earned, to a laughable extent, the benefit of the doubt is either an NFLPA rep, has the last name Chayut or Borges (they may be the same person. Anyone seen them in a room together?), or doesn't really rely upon reality as part of the thought process. Remember what it was like pre-BB? Bottom line, I have faith that what BB and co. have fielded is a team that can compete legitimately for the title. If it ends up we don't and lack of WR ability is a cause? Then he messed up and just lost a measured amount of faith. Persepctive - 3 SB's in 5 years. Perspective - a revolving door of players we can't possibly do without then winning. Persepctive - does anyone seriously not think the greatest spark in the history of the Patriots was when BB decided to not be HC of the NYJ? Consider he had stayed as the Jets coach and we hired coach <fill in the blank> instead.

(posted from the a Jets forum with italics added by me)
"HUGE Jet fan here. I feel the same way about the Pats. Used to hate the Pats, jealous of all the success, but I respect them for what they've done and the way they've carried themselves. I look forward to fighting it out with you guys. If only the HC of the NYJ hadn't resigned...ah what could have been."

To me that kind of perspective helps to put the Branch situation in its right category. A minor bump in the road. Last thought, BB is the coach. Winning is his sacred goal he and his people work tirelessly at. If DB is so necessary, isn't BB making his own job a potential season long migraine by not just giving up the extra cash? Cause maybe he sees this as a better way to win when taking a view that lasts 16 weeks but also longer.

Where does Willie McG fit into this?

JR4 said:
Bad because the whole thing is based on Givens being willing to run his contract negotiations in such a way as to maximize Branch's earnings instead of his own. Players are concerned about how much they make, not their teammates. The only interest they have in their teammates salary is how it compares to their own, or how it might affect their own future negotiations.

It was a funny post. Don't ruin it by trying to make it sound like you were serious.

R_T26 said:
Why sad, we, just like the players have to remember this is a business. Lets root for the guys that make the final squad and believe in the system that has been so successful the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes