PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Charlie Weis book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodie

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Charlie Weis has just released a book with Vic Carucci called “No Excuses†and in it he talks a lot about his time with Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick and what he learned from them. One interesting story Charlie tells is that as a low level assistant with the Giants, BB asked if anyone had any suggestions for the defensive game plan for that week. So Charlie mentioned an idea he’d seen someone use against the run and BB put it into that week’s game plan. The Giants won and successfully shut down the other team’s running game. At the press conference afterward, the media asked BB how he came up with such a great game plan. BB said, “I didn’t. It was my idea, it was his†and pointed at Charlie. Charlie was impressed that not only had BB listened to the idea of a low level assistant but he refused to take the credit.

He also says that he and BB agreed that Tommy was ready to be a starter at the beginning of the 2001 season. And when Drew was ready to come back, they both agreed, that they should stick with Tommy.

Hoodie said:
Charlie Weis has just released a book with Vic Carucci called “No Excuses†and in it he talks a lot about his time with Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick and what he learned from them. One interesting story Charlie tells is that as a low level assistant with the Giants, BB asked if anyone had any suggestions for the defensive game plan for that week. So Charlie mentioned an idea he’d seen someone use against the run and BB put it into that week’s game plan. The Giants won and successfully shut down the other team’s running game. At the press conference afterward, the media asked BB how he came up with such a great game plan. BB said, “I didn’t. It was my idea, it was his†and pointed at Charlie. Charlie was impressed that not only had BB listened to the idea of a low level assistant but he refused to take the credit.

He also says that he and BB agreed that Tommy was ready to be a starter at the beginning of the 2001 season. And when Drew was ready to come back, they both agreed, that they should stick with Tommy.

Wow, I'll have to pick that up, sounds very interesting.

Hoodie said:

The name of his book should have been: "Obese and Overrated: The Charlie "Tummy Tuck" Weis Story".

Jacky Roberts said:
The name of his book should have been: "Obese and Overrated: The Charlie "Tummy Tuck" Weis Story".

NEM : Is that you ???

I am sure this book is going to be on the best-seller list in Arizona !!

kinky said:
NEM : Is that you ???

I am sure this book is going to be on the best-seller list in Arizona !!

Weis should thank God for the arrival of Tom Brady. Brady made this guy look good, not vice versa.

Jacky Roberts said:

congratualtion on the IDIOT post of the day.

Jacky Roberts said:
Weis should thank God for the arrival of Tom Brady. Brady made this guy look good, not vice versa.

I find it interesting how Brady isnt makin our wonderful OC look amazing now. Charlie called the plays that fit this teams personnel. Anyone who cant see that is blind. So, I guess I shouldnt even be typing this. You need braille dont you?
Have someone read it out to you, it'll make more sense. Actually, have someone else who can actually SEE watch this Pats O during the Charlie era and have them tell you what they see. I saw an Offense gettin **** done with a much lower level of talent.
Hmmm, guess it was just Tommy. Come to think of it. We should all credit Seymour and Bruschi for making BB look like such a genius!!

Jacky Roberts said:

Charlie's helping Brady Quinn look pretty good.

Jacky Roberts said:
That's rather "stout" of you to make fun of someone's physical makeup or condition. You should superstititously be wary now of something happening to you.

NEM said:
Why would you consider a post which is fairly factual to be an idiot post?

I think the mention of the "tummy tuck" maybe a little over the line because I know that it was a very serious operation, and a very painful recovery , that Charlie had...

But the terms "obese" and "overrated" seem to be quite factual.

I know that many of you will disagree with me on the "overrated", but if he really was that good, why did he NEVER receive a head coaching offer from any NFL team, as Romeo Crennell did?

Perhaps the GM's in the NFL saw more of what I saw than what some in here saw.

I take nothing away from Charlie's success..he is a great innovator, a great play designer, and from what I have read, a very good teacher to the younger players....but as far as his overall play calling, that left a lot to be desired, and if not bailed out by a great defensive team on many, many occasions, as well as special teams play, the three Super Bowl teams may all have had different results.

He is perfect for the college game, as I said many times BEFORE he went to Notre Dame, but NFL GM's MUST have seen something was missing or he would have gotten a head coaching job somewhere.

I have always felt Weis was overrated. He goes to ND with all that talent and, like his predecessor in Ty Willingham, is reaping the benefits of merely pushing the buttons. Like I said, without Brady, Weis is probably sitting in a NJ Chinese food restaurant at the buffet or coaching a high school team. I see his press conferences and he acts like he's Bill Parcells. Truthfully, he hasn't won anything as a HC. Also, he's lost all 3 of what I would consider "big games" at ND under his helm.

If he went to Cleveland and had success, I'd have more respect for the guy.

Jacky Roberts said:
I have always felt Weis was overrated. He goes to ND with all that talent and, like his predecessor in Ty Willingham, is reaping the benefits of merely pushing the buttons. Like I said, without Brady, Weis is probably sitting in a NJ Chinese food restaurant at the buffet or coaching a high school team. I see his press conferences and he acts like he's Bill Parcells. Truthfully, he hasn't won anything as a HC. Also, he's lost all 3 of what I would consider "big games" at ND under his helm.

If he went to Cleveland and had success, I'd have more respect for the guy.

"all that talent" at ND wasn't doing much the year before Charlie got there so that point doesn't make much sense.

ND has a "big game" almost every week. He lost to the best team in the last 10 years on the last play of the game. He lost to the next best team in the BCS. And this year he lost to Michigan, another title contneder.

So he's lost 2 games which he had no business winning and another where the teams were thought to be equal. I'll give him blame for the Michigan loss, but the other two were against far superior teams.

Yeah, he's doing horrible. Good post.

Looks like another book I will have to add to the collection... which is getting bigger all of the time. Who's next Bruschi I believe?

Charlie addresses the weight issue in the book. He says he was always heavy and his family was quite angry that he decided to do it. But he says he did it for them because his father died at a young age. The idea that he was trying to lose weight to get a head coaching job was incorrect.

Lots of nice stories about how supportive Tommy was during his illness. Charlie considers him family now.

Hoodie said:

A potentially juicy tome. Think he'll mention Patrick Pass?

Patriot Games said:
"all that talent" at ND wasn't doing much the year before Charlie got there so that point doesn't make much sense.

ND has a "big game" almost every week. He lost to the best team in the last 10 years on the last play of the game. He lost to the next best team in the BCS. And this year he lost to Michigan, another title contneder.

So he's lost 2 games which he had no business winning and another where the teams were thought to be equal. I'll give him blame for the Michigan loss, but the other two were against far superior teams.

Yeah, he's doing horrible. Good post.

ND does a great job beating Stanford, Navy, Air Force, Purdue, Army, etc. They pulled the upset at Michigan last year, but they lost to USC, got hammered by OSU and got astroglided vs. Michigan this year. They "beat the teams they should", thats about the best compliment I can give that school.

ps- He was completely undressed (not literally thank God) by Jim Tressel in that bowl game last year. It was like Belichick coaching against Herm Edwards.

Thanks for the pointer on the book, I'll definitely be getting it. Too bad the haters had to ruin a potentially interesting thread.

NEM said:
Where did you sit at Braves (Nickerson) Field. QUOTE]

Along the first base side, especailly when Spahn was pitching!:D :D :D

BelichickFan said:
Thanks for the pointer on the book, I'll definitely be getting it. Too bad the haters had to ruin a potentially interesting thread.

My thoughts exactly. Enjoy the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye