PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New CBA will bring Thursday Night Football Every week starting in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently part of what has been agreed upon according to Chris Mortensen is that they will develop a 16 game Thursday night package for sale to either the Broadcast of Cable Networks for an asking price of about a billion a year. This will benefit both sides to generate more revenue that will compensate the players for losing some of their share of the pie.

Report: New CBA would include 16-game Thursday night TV package | ProFootballTalk

Schefter just tweeted this:

More at ESPN: If and when agreement is reached, all players with 4, 5 and 6 years of service are expected to be unrestricted free agents.

Not sure if thats news or not.

Schefter just tweeted this:

More at ESPN: If and when agreement is reached, all players with 4, 5 and 6 years of service are expected to be unrestricted free agents.

Not sure if thats news or not.

What does this mean for NE? Page is UFA, but Law Firm remains a RFA. Mankins is franchised and presumably that will be allowed by the CBA. Otherwise, Manning is a UFA. Others?

Apparently part of what has been agreed upon according to Chris Mortensen is that they will develop a 16 game Thursday night package for sale to either the Broadcast of Cable Networks for an asking price of about a billion a year. This will benefit both sides to generate more revenue that will compensate the players for losing some of their share of the pie.

Report: New CBA would include 16-game Thursday night TV package | ProFootballTalk

This is one of the first potential changes to the league I've heard in a long while that I can actually get behind. I love Thursday night football. The more the merrier.

What does this mean for NE? Page is UFA, but Law Firm remains a RFA. Mankins is franchised and presumably that will be allowed by the CBA. Otherwise, Manning is a UFA. Others?

I assume they meant all, none franchised players. I would assume that if they franchise tag was going to be removed from the CBA they would have pointed it out.

This is one of the first potential changes to the league I've heard in a long while that I can actually get behind. I love Thursday night football. The more the merrier.

Gawd...........I hope it isn't on the NFLN...Lousy audio,subpar video,screaming pre-game analyists and third-rate,washed-up announcers......Did I leave anything out?:bricks:

The more football the better IMO.

Idk why but I feel like Belichick is probably pissed about this. It gives teams who play on Thursday extra prep time for their next game. Regardless it'll probably work in our favor because we'll almost certainly deal with it better than most teams.

Gawd...........I hope it isn't on the NFLN...Lousy audio,subpar video,screaming pre-game analyists and third-rate,washed-up announcers......Did I leave anything out?:bricks:

Well, you don't have to go to NFLN for screaming analysts and washed-up announcers. But I agree. NFLN is pretty embarrassing -- and doesn't make business sense. How many people have it, compared to Fox or ESPN?

Worse yet the anti-eponymous Brighthouse Networks that I have when in Florider refuses to carry the NFLN. :mad:

That should be an interesting sale. NFL Network needs the live game package to induce cable companies to carry it, but what if an ABC (or even ESPN again) is also bidding for that package? The NFL is almost bidding against itself here. How high can they go until their own package price makes NFLN a losing proposition?

Do_Not_Want_Dog_RE_The_Art_of_Trolling-s500x391-128697.jpg

I am also against Thursday night games. One reason is that it either shorts the players in prep time or gives teams the an extra 4 days to prep for a team.

Many people have commented that the quality isn't there in the production of Sunday Night and Monday Night games. Primarily because of the lack of quality of announcers/commentators.

Also, color me skeptical that they'll be able to get a $1B/yr contract for ONE night of football broadcasting for 16 weeks when DirecTV is giving them close to that for the ability to show 13 games a week.

I have no problem with it. I kind of enjoy those Thurdays as appetizers before the weekend. I also don't really like wasting the day in front of the TV so the more night games I get to watch, the better.

I am also against Thursday night games. One reason is that it either shorts the players in prep time or gives teams the an extra 4 days to prep for a team.

Many people have commented that the quality isn't there in the production of Sunday Night and Monday Night games. Primarily because of the lack of quality of announcers/commentators.

Also, color me skeptical that they'll be able to get a $1B/yr contract for ONE night of football broadcasting for 16 weeks when DirecTV is giving them close to that for the ability to show 13 games a week.

I believe ESPN is paying more than that for MNF. NBC is paying $650M for SNF. This deal will be negotiated in the light of record ratings for NFL football... What Direct TV lacks is exclusivity.

Something has to give if the pie is to grow. If not an 18 game season then this is a means to generate an additional national game in prime time weekly.

im ok with Thursday Night's that gives us football 3 times a week. but like outhers said i hope its not on NFL network cause they suck

If weekly Thursday night football is the necessary tradeoff for dropping the horrific 18-game regular season schedule idea, I'm all for it.

Last edited:

If you think American sports broadcast is bad try watching professional Australian sports broadcast. There's nothing better than switching on Pay TV and watching everything US opposed to the amateurish boys club you watch this because there's no alternative crap we have to put up with over here.

Not particularly a fan of the Thursday night concept but would prefer that to an 18 game season.

Last edited:

Yup.

I'm with Deuce Awry and Brother Bruinz: Thursday Night games suck @$$.

FRIDAY Night games would be VERY interesting, INDEED. :rocker:

But THURSDAY??? :rolleyes: FUNK that. :mad:

Looks to me like season ticket holders / local fans are getting the shaft in the deal. It's manageable to schedule (read as sneak in) an extra three day weekend to cover a Monday night game, but THURSDAY ?!?! One more move that shows the local fan doesn't count for much.

Yup.

I'm with Deuce Awry and Brother Bruinz: Thursday Night games suck @$$.

FRIDAY Night games would be VERY interesting, INDEED. :rocker:

But THURSDAY??? :rolleyes: FUNK that. :mad:

I believe the thinking behind Thursday nights as opposed to Friday nights is Friday nights are traditionally high school football nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots