Welcome to PatsFans.com

New CBA will bring Thursday Night Football Every week starting in 2012

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Rob0729, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,322 / 13 / -5

Apparently part of what has been agreed upon according to Chris Mortensen is that they will develop a 16 game Thursday night package for sale to either the Broadcast of Cable Networks for an asking price of about a billion a year. This will benefit both sides to generate more revenue that will compensate the players for losing some of their share of the pie.

Report: New CBA would include 16-game Thursday night TV package | ProFootballTalk
  2. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +600 / 14 / -5

#87 Jersey

Schefter just tweeted this:

More at ESPN: If and when agreement is reached, all players with 4, 5 and 6 years of service are expected to be unrestricted free agents.

Not sure if thats news or not.
  3. PatsFanStnfrd

PatsFanStnfrd Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

What does this mean for NE? Page is UFA, but Law Firm remains a RFA. Mankins is franchised and presumably that will be allowed by the CBA. Otherwise, Manning is a UFA. Others?
  4. HomerSchooled

HomerSchooled Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is one of the first potential changes to the league I've heard in a long while that I can actually get behind. I love Thursday night football. The more the merrier.
  5. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,322 / 13 / -5

I assume they meant all, none franchised players. I would assume that if they franchise tag was going to be removed from the CBA they would have pointed it out.
  6. italia44

italia44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Gawd...........I hope it isn't on the NFLN...Lousy audio,subpar video,screaming pre-game analyists and third-rate,washed-up announcers......Did I leave anything out?:bricks:
  7. ay-yo

ay-yo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The more football the better IMO.

Idk why but I feel like Belichick is probably pissed about this. It gives teams who play on Thursday extra prep time for their next game. Regardless it'll probably work in our favor because we'll almost certainly deal with it better than most teams.
  8. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -1

Disable Jersey

Well, you don't have to go to NFLN for screaming analysts and washed-up announcers. But I agree. NFLN is pretty embarrassing -- and doesn't make business sense. How many people have it, compared to Fox or ESPN?
  9. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,701 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

Worse yet the anti-eponymous Brighthouse Networks that I have when in Florider refuses to carry the NFLN. :mad:
  10. PrairiePat

PrairiePat Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

#32 Jersey

That should be an interesting sale. NFL Network needs the live game package to induce cable companies to carry it, but what if an ABC (or even ESPN again) is also bidding for that package? The NFL is almost bidding against itself here. How high can they go until their own package price makes NFLN a losing proposition?
  11. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,612 / 69 / -74

Disable Jersey

12. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 24 / -48

#50 Jersey

I am also against Thursday night games. One reason is that it either shorts the players in prep time or gives teams the an extra 4 days to prep for a team.

Many people have commented that the quality isn't there in the production of Sunday Night and Monday Night games. Primarily because of the lack of quality of announcers/commentators.

Also, color me skeptical that they'll be able to get a $1B/yr contract for ONE night of football broadcasting for 16 weeks when DirecTV is giving them close to that for the ability to show 13 games a week.
  13. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +98 / 3 / -0

I have no problem with it. I kind of enjoy those Thurdays as appetizers before the weekend. I also don't really like wasting the day in front of the TV so the more night games I get to watch, the better.
  14. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I believe ESPN is paying more than that for MNF. NBC is paying $650M for SNF. This deal will be negotiated in the light of record ratings for NFL football... What Direct TV lacks is exclusivity.

Something has to give if the pie is to grow. If not an 18 game season then this is a means to generate an additional national game in prime time weekly.
  15. patsfan-1982

patsfan-1982 Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 7 / -2

im ok with Thursday Night's that gives us football 3 times a week. but like outhers said i hope its not on NFL network cause they suck
  16. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 6 / -24

#61 Jersey

If weekly Thursday night football is the necessary tradeoff for dropping the horrific 18-game regular season schedule idea, I'm all for it.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  17. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +529 / 11 / -5

#51 Jersey

If you think American sports broadcast is bad try watching professional Australian sports broadcast. There's nothing better than switching on Pay TV and watching everything US opposed to the amateurish boys club you watch this because there's no alternative crap we have to put up with over here.

Not particularly a fan of the Thursday night concept but would prefer that to an 18 game season.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  18. Off The Grid

Off The Grid On the Roster

Ratings:
    +283 / 5 / -0

#3 Jersey

Yup.

I'm with Deuce Awry and Brother Bruinz: Thursday Night games suck @$$.

FRIDAY Night games would be VERY interesting, INDEED. :rocker:

But THURSDAY??? :rolleyes: FUNK that. :mad:
  19. fluoropolymer

fluoropolymer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Looks to me like season ticket holders / local fans are getting the shaft in the deal. It's manageable to schedule (read as sneak in) an extra three day weekend to cover a Monday night game, but THURSDAY ?!?! One more move that shows the local fan doesn't count for much.
  20. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I believe the thinking behind Thursday nights as opposed to Friday nights is Friday nights are traditionally high school football nights.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.